BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2018/22 World Cup bids

hope the Press take a good look at the way FIFA's finances are,.

Agree with this. It's obvious England is not going to get the World Cup before 2030, and possibly will have to wait even longer. The media should now go in with all guns blazing to expose the obvious corruption and lack of transparency within Fifa. Blatter's head on a platter will do for starters.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with this. It's obvious England is not going to get the World Cup before 2030, and possibly will have to wait even longer. The media should now go in with all guns blazing to expose the obvious corruption and lack of transparency within Fifa. Blatter's head on a platter will do for starters.

Do you still have contacts in the industry, Jim? If so, get them on the case!

Well I'm a bit gutted about not winning the bid. We had an excellent bid, in the brief bits I've seen it said that ours was the best technical bid which would've made FIFA the most money (alls they care about), but we come last.

I've not read properly through this thread, but I've seen a couple people say they're glad/not bothered that we didn't get it. I find that really strange to be honest. Having been to a couple World Cups, they are just awesome experiences - get to meet so many cool people, see new places (although that wouldn't apply so much in England!) and generally have a very good time. To have it here would've been amazing. Even the most ardent football haters would struggle not to get a bit excited about the whole thing.

Bring on 2030!!!!

Well I'm a bit gutted about not winning the bid. We had an excellent bid, in the brief bits I've seen it said that ours was the best technical bid which would've made FIFA the most money (alls they care about), but we come last.

I've not read properly through this thread, but I've seen a couple people say they're glad/not bothered that we didn't get it. I find that really strange to be honest. Having been to a couple World Cups, they are just awesome experiences - get to meet so many cool people, see new places (although that wouldn't apply so much in England!) and generally have a very good time. To have it here would've been amazing. Even the most ardent football haters would struggle not to get a bit excited about the whole thing.

Bring on 2030!!!!

We do have the Olympics!

Even the most ardent football haters would struggle not to get a bit excited about the whole thing.

Happened in 1966. Whole country was gripped by it.

Except the Scots of course. Denis Law reportedly played golf on the day of the final.

We do have the Olympics!

The Olympics are overrated. People either watching sports that they'd never watch at other times (like athletics) or sports that they don't really know the proper rules for in the vain hope that Team GB might pick up a few medals. Don't get me wrong it's good to see GB do well, but I get almost as much enjoyment from it reading the sports pages about it as I do watching it - save for special moments like Redgraves 5th gold medal.

Me neither!

As for 'blaming the messenger'...at the very least we can question the messenger's curious choice of timing. :rolleyes:

I'm in two minds on this - yes I question the timing and a lot of me wishes they didn' broadcast it at that time.

But then corruption in FIFA is a very serious issue and showing it at the most relevant time would bring the most attention to it.

To be honest it doesn't matter when they eventually did broadcast it, everyone knew for weeks this was in the pipeline, that wouldve been enough.

We do have the Olympics!

London has the Olympics - 1 city (other than a couple odd footy games). Times that by 10 + all the training camp locations and you'll be getting somewhere close to how far the world cup gets people involved. If I remember correctly Ewood would've been one of the training stadiums - we could've one of the best teams in the world (after Rovers of course) playing on our ground.

Triesman ? etc etc. The wrong people were running the bid from the start, and it never recovered.

Triesman wasnt directly running the bid, he was chair of the FA.

Also in his case the media were wrong; a corrupt FIFA being exposed is in the public interest, however a mans thoughts on referee bribery and liaisons with a woman weren't. Still that's the Mail for you...

You Aussies arguably got screwed even more than we did.

I'm Blackburn born and bred but, yes, England & Australia got screwed, I was expecting at least one of those to come through. Would have been a fantastic place for a World Cup - distances aside (also an issue in USA 94 and Japan/Korea 2002). Particularly painful today when coming into work and seeing hordes of people heading to the beautifully renovated Adelaide cricket ground for the Test.

FIX!

and if I hear one more "they haven't hosted a World Cup before" line I'll vomit crude oil.

I haven't hosted an orgy with the models of Victoria Secrets, does that mean I'm entitled to one?

If you'd hosted one before, would you think you were entitled to another before I had mine?

If you'd hosted one before, would you think you were entitled to another before I had mine?

If mine was in a plush apartment with all the best facilities ready made, and yours was down some dark alleyway which I was told would be converted into a proper street, with people shouting racist insults, the Mafia hanging about in a hovel of an apartment which was apparently going to be up to scratch when the orgy was held, then yes, I'd feel entitled.

Andy Anson says it feels that England and USA both got clobbered fo being ready to hold a World Cup tomorrow and for not having to build 20 new stadia.

I work for a major civil engineering contractor. One of the senior project managers was making exactly the same point yesterday.

Archived