BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2018/22 World Cup bids

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did you hear that onthe radio this week about the iranian footy player?

he was having an affair so they murdered his mistress!!!

Wasn't she hung for killing the footballer's 'permanent' wife? Either way, barbaric.

They held a problematic 2006 Asian games were 3 cruise ships had to be brought in to act as hotels, not enough hotels for athletes. One athlete died.

The bid for 2016 fell at the first hurdle as IOC members felt the bribes insufficient. Sorry I mean because they wanted to hold the games in October.

No - it doesn't make any good points really.

The outrage of fans isn't because non "western" countries have been given the WC - well the part of Russia that is hosting it is probably lumped in with the rest of the West these days anyway.

It's outrage at a bent voting process and at Qatar being given the Cup due to the sheer ridiculousness of its size and heat. If, for example, China were to be given the Cup (I know they didn't bid but if they did) there'd be no such outrage. When Japan and S Korea had it last time then there were no such concerns. I know the heat wouldn't be much better but at least in places like Egypt they'd have a multitude of cities and it would be a much more interesting place for the fans.

Everyone knows the Eastern markets are the emerging markets but that doesn't mean the tiniest Arab state should get a World Cup finals.

Folk should stop moaning about it. We lost because we had a s**t bid, end of story. Why do we presume that people from the world football community are going to care what Cameron and Prince Willy have to say about anything or how much they love football? If you listed the boxes that the WC bidders had to tick then we didn't tick any of them, if we had we'd have got more than 1 vote. We weren't expanding the boundaries of FIFA, we weren't spreading the word, we weren't building legacy stadia and infrastructure. basically we already had all these things and in FIFA's view didn't need the WC so the bidders are to blame for coming at it from the wrong direction and wasting everyones money.

On the bright side, at least MK Dons lost money and we won't have to watch the WC from Milton Keynes.

I don't know where to start with that post except to say that the minus button needs enabling against posts like that.:rolleyes: Although you are in good company as that upstanding citizen Blatter shares your view. Despite not telling anyone the criteria they were 'really' looking for until AFTER the bidding process.

Meanwhile, what I want to know is when are Panorama going to add further detail to their previous claims? If they let go now then ALL they have done is unhinge our bid and little else. Their 'revelations',supposedly in the public interest, seem right now to only have been in the interests of Panorama.

Folk should stop moaning about it. We lost because we had a s**t bid, end of story. Why do we presume that people from the world football community are going to care what Cameron and Prince Willy have to say about anything or how much they love football? If you listed the boxes that the WC bidders had to tick then we didn't tick any of them, if we had we'd have got more than 1 vote. We weren't expanding the boundaries of FIFA, we weren't spreading the word, we weren't building legacy stadia and infrastructure. basically we already had all these things and in FIFA's view didn't need the WC so the bidders are to blame for coming at it from the wrong direction and wasting everyones money.

No problem with any of that - as long as the criteria for selection were laid down beforehand. I don't know if they were or not because I'm not actually that interested but it does seem the English bid team (and Australian for that matter) genuinely believe they had been led to believe otherwise. Maybe English ears weren't listening to FIFA voices? (perish the thought given the FA are not at all arrogant)

Maybe the FA can now stop hiding prestige tournaments and get to grips with the state of the game in this country so that our national team are competitive on a regular basis, our supporters can afford to watch matches, our teams have more home-grown players in the team and the amount of money piling up like sewage in the game is not allowed to continue to undermine the quality of fare being produced. Less dictat from the broadcasters and Premier League would be a start together with the introduction of a strategy and long-term vision at a newly-receptive FA staffed by competent leaders rather than incompetent administrators and second-career journalists.

I live in hope rather than expectation - I still think there are too many snouts in the trough to allow this and some more major setbacks are required before they are faced with no option.

The Asian football confederation have called for the World Cup in Qatar to be held in Winter.

It's too hot in summer.

Velappen said that it was not a solution to cool stadiums and training pitches with air conditioners. He warned that some European teams could boycott the World Cup over temperatures that can soar to 40 degrees in the region during summer.

We should just create our own world cup...afterall we created the game.

We can have a fair voting process, goal line technology, decision referrals for dodgy penaltys, bans for diving & affordable ticket prices for fans!! How simple would that be? :lol:

We should just create our own world cup...afterall we created the game.

We can have a fair voting process, goal line technology, decision referrals for dodgy penaltys, bans for diving & affordable ticket prices for fans!! How simple would that be? :lol:

Think this is what you're after Hughsey: VIVA World Cup

I think that Pedersen has played a couple of games for the Sapmi team at some point.

The Asian football confederation have called for the World Cup in Qatar to be held in Winter.

It's too hot in summer.

Velappen said that it was not a solution to cool stadiums and training pitches with air conditioners. He warned that some European teams could boycott the World Cup over temperatures that can soar to 40 degrees in the region during summer.

A week after the decision and this is already in the pipeline. The folly of FIFA's electing to play a summer tournament on the surface of the sun is being highlighted by the very federation it will benefit most.

FIFA has 12 years to work out a solution. What's the betting it still won't be resolved by 2020?

• 5 months later...
  • Moderation Lead

The one thing I don't get, is why FIFA told us we had a good bid, were encouraging, then explained they were taking the WC to 'new frontiers'???

Tell us that in the first place so money and time can be saved! :angry:

Archived