BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2018/22 World Cup bids

Oh and Smoss- there is absolutely no reason why England should get the WC every four or five times! We weren't even a founding member of FIFA, and the WC should not be about global celebration rather than inward cronyism.

I can't think of anything better than to celebrate football in its birthplace, England. So I disagree.

What a joke this is, we will never get it, it's not about who is the best to host it, it's about money.

It's not about money. If it were, the USA would have gotten 2022. It's baout backroom deals, IMO.

You mean keep quiet and play the same game, Panorama should now do a follow up and really expose the coruption FIFA need England and the EPL more than England and the EPL need FIFA

Exposing FIFA's corruption is a good thing, as is exposing corruption everywhere. The EPL could take the bull by the horns and deal with FIFA, but it would take the EPL to: 1) realize they have the ability; and, 2) have the stones to follow through. The first may be true, the second is not.

Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, and can be punished by imprisonment or 90 lashes. Nice.

And Russia's treatment of minorities is abhorent. Its not about spreading equal rights and humane treatment, obviously.

I'd love to see a World Cup organisation that was completely independant of any outside influence, unfortunately (allegedly) FIFA is not such an organisation.

I have to ask the question, how come the Motherland of football (as we have been called today) has only ever hosted one World Cup?

Agree wholeheartedly.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC blogger reaction straight after Russia was announced-

Pearcesport James Pearce

If FIFA thought they'd had a hard time from English media in the past, I can confidently predict that they've seen nothing yet

Think this is more balanced and realistic-

henrywinter Henry Winter

World Cup 2018: England defeat shows that English football lacks leadership within the Football Association http://tgr.ph/fecNAU

Actually Steve, it is about money- the natural resources in Russia and Qatar are concentrated in so few hands that they are eye wateringly rich and of course unlike in America they can buy protection from all the prying eyes.

And this is remarkable-

DavidBondBBC David Bond

England's second vote came from Issa Hayatou - amazing when one considers he was one of the Panorama three.

And this is remarkable-

DavidBondBBC David Bond

England's second vote came from Issa Hayatou - amazing when one considers he was one of the Panorama three.

Not necessarily remarkable when you remember that the English FA backed him against Blatter in the last FIFA elections.

At least we won't have to put up with Cameron's smarmy face telling us how he won the WC for us. I suspected he was a loser and this confirms it. I personally wanted Holland/Belgium to get it. The reason I didn't wan us to stage it were many but I'll try and list them below:-

1) Not being abroad will reduce the specialness of the WC, especially if you want to go to it.

2) England would turn it into a corporate nightmare with no tivkets available to fans.

3) The whole thing would be shrouded in violence and thuggery.

4) They would probably ban the sale of alcohol from within about 100 miles of each stadium to try and stop 3 happening as well as banning anyone from having a good time which usually happens over here..

5) Everything would be ridiculously expensive

6) Bigger clubs would benefit even more by getting smart new grounds subsidised.

7) They were going to play in Milton Keynes.

To be honest when I saw that place on the list of venues my heart sank, The people organising this obviously have no regard for the history or traditions of the game and just see it as a means of making money and that's probably why in the end they blew it.

Russis though....that's even worse.

At least we won't have to put up with Cameron's smarmy face telling us how he won the WC for us. I suspected he was a loser and this confirms it. I personally wanted Holland/Belgium to get it. The reason I didn't wan us to stage it were many but I'll try and list them below:-

1) Not being abroad will reduce the specialness of the WC, especially if you want to go to it.

2) England would turn it into a corporate nightmare with no tivkets available to fans.

3) The whole thing would be shrouded in violence and thuggery.

4) They would probably ban the sale of alcohol from within about 100 miles of each stadium to try and stop 3 happening as well as banning anyone from having a good time which usually happens over here..

5) Everything would be ridiculously expensive

6) Bigger clubs would benefit even more by getting smart new grounds subsidised.

7) They were going to play in Milton Keynes.

To be honest when I saw that place on the list of venues my heart sank, The people organising this obviously have no regard for the history or traditions of the game and just see it as a means of making money and that's probably why in the end they blew it.

Russis though....that's even worse.

1) Specialness isn't a word, and we've been having World Cup's abroad since 1970. Having a WC at home would be special.

2) A corporate nightmare? As opposed to Russia and QATAR?! Jesus.

3) Yeah, because the Premier League (recent League Cup events excluded) has been a hotbed of violence recently!

4) No they wouldn't

5) I think you'll find they'd be cheaper than in Russia or Qatar

6) It'd be the mid sized clubs that would have grounds subsidised, the big clubs, Liverpool excepted already have pretty smart grounds

7) I doubt MK wouldve gone ahead, it wouldnt have made the final cut IMO.

I know it's disappointing but playing sour grapes is silly. A WC here would have been fantastic and we were robbed.

Am I distraught about a failure to win the 2018 bid? Not really. Football is a world game and that means other nations having a chance - what price India for the future?

What is needed is a dose of transparency on the way FIFA deal with things, if we had won then the British media would have been faced with a pressure not to rock the boat. Perhaps now there can be some serious investigative journalism.

The FIFA World Cup selection committee has as much credibility as the Eurovision song contest judges.

Clearly Beckham's belief that the England bid would be judged on its merits is about as misplaced as Josh Dubovie's belief that he would be the next Rick Astley.

I must say if it's common talk amongst journo's the world over then our lot must not have heard about it.

After having dinner with many of the broadsheet journo's in England most seem clueless,so it wouldn't surprise me.

Tabloid Journo's much better in England.

Freemasonry must be rife at the Daily Telegraph,Christ knows how some of that lot get paid.

Maybe me & Alan Nixon are just good.

When i return to England in the new year,i'll buy you a pint after one of your games,and tell you then.What i know cannot be put in print.

on Talksport, they were saying the Aussie reporters are gunning for Fifa now. Australia were going to pull out of the race for hosting the world cup and Fifa ask them to stay in the race.

Also one of the biggest sponsor of Fifa and the world cup are Budweiser. But in the Qatar, beer is not allow or advertising of it, so what are Fifa going to do then???

Fifa are just a bunch of overpaid, corrupt, lazy, unless muppets!!!!

Tone would have won it. The boy Cameron screwed up (again).

At least Fifa ExCo members won't have to worry about embarrassing corruption stories coming out of Russia.

Investigative journalists gets murdered in that godforsaken country.

Come on, Jim. I think Cameron's a posh sod with plums in his mouth who's probably never played a game of football in his LIFE, but even I know he had bugger all to do with it.

Reading some of the posts on here have re-enforced my view that most Rovers fans are a sound bunch, unlike some of the media I have listened to tonight. Mainly “Talksport” and “Sky Sports”. You can just sense that they have it in for the BBC.

I watched the Panorama programme and felt before the showing that it was poor timing. However after watching it, my view was changed somewhat. Concerning the demands made by FIFA as to required changes to the laws of the land, why was it not publicised by our government or the FA, as it was by the Dutch government. If we had won and then learned of such demands, I feel that many people would then want to know why we hadn’t been told earlier. Either way it becomes a no win situation. There are undoubtedly things seriously wrong within FIFA. Proving them is an entirely different matter, but should now be investigated fully.

Our technical bid was the best. I think there is little doubt about that. We should have been given the vote and hosted the World Cup.

The men from FIFA can now rest easily with the thought of taking the World Cup to all corners of the globe regardless of football heritage, facilities or climate. Good luck to them because I feel sure that from a football point of view that neither Russia nor Qatar will be looked upon as memorable tournaments.

I feel sorry for the fans who were not around for the last World Cup in 66, and although I am old enough to have seen it, I feel quite sure that I will not see another on our shores. I sincerely hope that many of you are young enough to still see one here.

I have traveled the World, over the years including Russia and Qatar. My experience has been that in both countries, to get things done, takes bribes or under the table deals, and it comes as no surprise to me that they were the winning bids. FIFA have made their bed now let them lie in it.

FIFA don’t deserve us.

What a muppet in really are. So far, imo Cameron has been very good as PM. He is making some very difficult decisions but at least he's making them and not dithering like Brown would have do!!! He can't pleased everyone all the time but make the right decisions for the Country going forward!!!

Definitely.

A lady Fifa agent told me Russia & Qatar would get it as early as the last week in August,and many others have as time went on.

All very Bizarre!.

I would have tipped you off,so you could have money on,but i couldn't be 100% sure,like managers getting appointed.

Why bother with the presentations if it's been decided months ago?.

Take note of this everybody blaming the BBC. It is quite clear all was decided long long ago. Now I know the say so of one guy on a messageboard is far from any sort of evidence however reputable the poster in question is, but deep down everybody knows what he is saying holds truth.

The BBC's timing has done nothing but given people an avenue in which to vent their anger. I back them. FIFA need to be dealt with. The roots of the corruption are deep. It is saddening and no wonder the sport is having the problems it does when its own governing body acts with such a lack of ethical values.

Two big cheques. I'm not sure why I even tricked myself to believe this bid was anything but.

FIFA don't deserve us.

Very insular view and one of the reasons the England bid failed. In fact Andy Anson, the England bid chief executive, is advocating the complete opposite tonight.

"If we want these competitions, we have to integrate ourselves more readily into these organisations,” he said. “But it’s difficult for us: we’ve got the strongest league in the world, we’re very strong domestically, and therefore we’ve not always seen the need to do it."

Message to Tony Gale : tongue in cheek dear boy !

What a muppet in really are. So far, imo Cameron has been very good as PM. He is making some very difficult decisions but at least he's making them and not dithering like Brown would have do!!! He can't pleased everyone all the time but make the right decisions for the Country going forward!!!

erm...more like back into recession! Would've been a treat to have the an economist like Brown at the helm.

But back on topic...shocking that England went out in the first round. And reading the comments from our Italian friend just confirms the Panorama investigation re the corruption..

isnt obama your man?

Archived