BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Experienced Premier League Striker Target...

Hughesy

I'd rather have Benjani up front on his own for a whole season before seeing Keane in a Rovers shirt!

He's the most overhyped forward to ever play the game. His international record looks good, but his form for us in the last few years has been crap. He does nothing but point one way and runs the other...people hammer Keith for pointing but at least he follows his own bloody directions!

His record might look ok at Spurs but his goals for them have only come when they're already a few goals to the good.

I know this topic is about forward(s) but I think that a fairly decent midfielder would benefit us much more than signing a high quality forward of whom they're are very few out there.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keane is a smart player but he looks to have slowed down in the past few years. Mind you he was never quick but at least he wasn't too slow the first few yards. Might be worth it on a loan though. Ngog has potential but would Liverpool let him go now? And cheaply? I doubt it. Jo is a bit lost but can rediscover his form under Big Sam's tutelage. Carew/RSC would do on loan but none of them have the best scoring- and injury records and represent something we more or less already have in Benjani and Roberts.

I'd love to see Keane at Ewood - but his arrival would necessitate us modifying our style somewhat.

If fit I think RSC would be quite good on a short term basis and Carew would be ok but you have to say all three would represent a huge improvement on our current options, Roberts excepted.

Out of those five, Carew would probably be the most realistic signing. He's out of favour at Villa and won't demand a huge fee, and if he can stay fit he'll suit Sam's tactics to a T. However, the one with the most potential is Jo. He's only 23, and we could make some serious resale value on him after a good season or two.

Get a better list together Hughesy next time, a very disappointing bunch for one reason or another.

Not my list pal.. Just the list the LT put together from their reports.

Did notice after I posted this thread that the LT boys started tweeting the same question though!

If we have the money, Crouch would be the best choice for Sam, IMO.

There is absolutely no chance of that as he is Spurs number one striker, and Spurs are into the last 16 of the CL. Our chance for Crouch was when he was still at Portsmouth but we had no cash, nor the draw of Spurs.

From the list Hughesy supplied I would take a look at all of them. It comes down to how much they cost in fee and wages, what sort of long term fitness they are in, and whether they would be committed to fighting for Rovers. They all clearly have talent that surpasses what we currently posess.

It's really hard to determine these factors from past record. For example on record Cruz looked like a crock and poor goal scorer before he turned up at Rovers, but he had a lot of fight and good fitness for us (at least initially). Tugay couldn't get in the Rangers first team and was over 30 then blew our minds. Freidel and Robinson looked finished as keepers before they turned up. EH Diouf on record looked poor since he left Bolton but now is one of our best players and works incredibly hard.

Alternatively Dino Baggio, Chimbonda and countless others turned out to be big disappointments.

Its so hard to tell whether the players will perform from a supporter's perspective.

well I would choose Keane and play him just behind Kalinic and revert back to a more conventional 4 man midfield , but that would require spending more money in that area , Big Sam would choose Carew , lump the ball up to him and hope something drops to our benefit

incidently IF Carew , Santa Cruz , N'Gog and Jo ARE Big Sam's choices , should we really be surprised or concerned that Venky's are taking advice elsewhere :blink::blink:

incidently IF Carew , Santa Cruz , N'Gog and Jo ARE Big Sam's choices , should we really be surprised or concerned that Venky's are taking advice elsewhere :blink::blink:

Only strikers I have heard come out of Sam's lips since the summer are Crouch, Bent and Klose but then I don't do pillow talk. ;)

I'd rather have Benjani up front on his own for a whole season before seeing Keane in a Rovers shirt!

He's the most overhyped forward to ever play the game. His international record looks good, but his form for us in the last few years has been crap. He does nothing but point one way and runs the other...people hammer Keith for pointing but at least he follows his own bloody directions!

His record might look ok at Spurs but his goals for them have only come when they're already a few goals to the good.

I know this topic is about forward(s) but I think that a fairly decent midfielder would benefit us much more than signing a high quality forward of whom they're are very few out there.

Disagree about Keane who I think is a great player, but agree totally that it's the midfield that desperately needs the big money, and a huge injection of creativity. Niko is more than good enough until summer provided he gets more of the right kind of support.

He's the most overhyped forward to ever play the game. His international record looks good, but his form for us in the last few years has been crap.

Got to be wary about players with good records domestically and internationally.

Archived