BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Experienced Premier League Striker Target...

Hughesy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could Keane be a better option in Dunnys role.? I thought he played a bit deeper now a days anyway.

Robbie Keanes legs have almost gone, at first it sounds great, what a player etc, then the reality, hes past his best which leads to lets move on.

There is absolutely no chance of that as he is Spurs number one striker, and Spurs are into the last 16 of the CL. Our chance for Crouch was when he was still at Portsmouth but we had no cash, nor the draw of Spurs.

From the list Hughesy supplied I would take a look at all of them. It comes down to how much they cost in fee and wages, what sort of long term fitness they are in, and whether they would be committed to fighting for Rovers. They all clearly have talent that surpasses what we currently posess.

It's really hard to determine these factors from past record. For example on record Cruz looked like a crock and poor goal scorer before he turned up at Rovers, but he had a lot of fight and good fitness for us (at least initially). Tugay couldn't get in the Rangers first team and was over 30 then blew our minds. Freidel and Robinson looked finished as keepers before they turned up. EH Diouf on record looked poor since he left Bolton but now is one of our best players and works incredibly hard.

Alternatively Dino Baggio, Chimbonda and countless others turned out to be big disappointments.

Its so hard to tell whether the players will perform from a supporter's perspective.

I think I would add Salgado to your list Joey on the unexpectedly successful side. How many of us thought at the time Sam brought him in that he had truly lost the plot. I did for one! But now how many still think that way? Another one Sam got right!

Disagree about Keane who I think is a great player, but agree totally that it's the midfield that desperately needs the big money, and a huge injection of creativity. Niko is more than good enough until summer provided he gets more of the right kind of support.

How precisely is Kalinic good enough? He has done next to nothing all season. Roberts has completely out performed him.

Harry Redknapp isn't my favourite person in football, but he does know a thing or two about players. The fact that he left Keane out of his SQUAD the second Defoe was able to walk again speaks volumes for me.

I also noticed he was using SSN to big Keane up last week in an attempt to get a taker. Keane's finished, I've seen him in a Green shirt live quite a few times over the last 24 months and he has looked worse on each occasion than the time before.

It won't happen, but if there is one Irish striker who we should be splashing out on it is Doyle, the lads a class act and does so much work it's untrue. He's the Irish version of Davies, but is younger and has a far better eye for goal. He won't be the 20 goal a season striker we (and most of the league) needs but he would be an improvement on anything we have in our current front line.

Shane Long will soon be replacing Keane at International level, says a lot really...

No doubt he's a good player - just not as a lone striker in this manager's system.

Beats me how you can say that when he has shown us nothing. It's just wishful thinking.

Beats me how you can say that when he has shown us nothing. It's just wishful thinking.

Kalinic has shown enough to convince people he has talent. He wasn't brought over to be the finished article straight away, and that's from the manager's mouth.

Kalinic has shown enough to convince people he has talent. He wasn't brought over to be the finished article straight away, and that's from the manager's mouth.

No he hasn't.

I struggle to think of a less effective striker we've ever had.

Grabbi? Ward? Blake? Ostenstad? And they had far better service than Kalinic ever did.

Well, who was that centre half we had, similar name?

Tore Pedersen.

Grabbi? Ward? Blake? Ostenstad? And they had far better service than Kalinic ever did.

Tore Pedersen.

Tore - that's him.

I think the others achieved as much as Niko has up to now. Niko needs to start scoring goals, if he does that nothing else will matter. - and before you start on about tactics, we are/were 8th top goalscorers in the PL according to Thenodrog's stats.

Not that this is necessarily the right place to air the question-how is Kalinic faring 18 months after his arrival?

No Premiership experience but has been in English football the past few years, Luciano Becchio!

Great player imo.

Great player at that level,he's not a Premier League player. As for Elemander- you must be joking- he's been crap at Bolton for 95% of his time there. He hits a little bit of form for a fortnight and he wants away- the guys an imposter.

West Ham have joined the £5m race for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane. The Republic of Ireland international has been told he can leave in January.

Full story: Daily Star

Aston Villa also plan to firm up their interest in Keane with a £6m bid.

Full story: Daily Mail

At those sort of figures + big wages...id leave well alone!

Archived