BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v West Ham

rovgers

265 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend as normal on Saturday?

• Yes
    • No - In protest
    • No - Unable to make it

Sorry about the delay but I've been waiting for my West Ham supporting friend to get back to me.

Well, here it is, my first match preview. I’ve decided to split it into two parts.

Part 1

I’ve been supporting the Rovers since my dad took me to see the newly crowned 3rd division (or League one, for those working in new money)champions in 1975.

When I watch Rovers play West Ham on the 18th it will be 5th decade of watching games against West Ham. So I decided to pick a game from each decade that stick out the most for me.

May 1979

The season we got relegated down to the third division for the last time, we were playing a West Ham side that had just recently been relegated from the top flight and included household names such as Parkes, Bond, Martin and Lampard. At the top West Ham were still regarded as a great team who had won the FA cup and been in the final of the European cup winners cup in the previous 5 seasons. We won the game 1-0 but it wasn’t the action on the pitch I remember the most but the sight of the Darwen End rapidly emptying and then West Ham fans invading the Blackburn end.

November 1989

Fast-forward 10 years; this was one of my favourite games against West Ham. Rovers raced into a 4-0 lead, West Ham pulled one back just before. This wasn’t enough to prevent the West Ham fans from staging a sit down protest in the Darwen End, which is a bit strange now as we struggle to get away fans to sit down at all in the Darwen End! Early in the second half the under rated and soon to be Dingle, Lenny Johnrose restored our 4 goal advantage. West Ham responded by scoring 3 goals in twenty minutes but Rovers managed to cling on at the end to take all points.

Jan 1995

For the game in the 90’s I couldn’t but choose a game from the Premiership winning season. The first half was quite even; correct me if I’m wrong, with Le Saux scoring, the game was deadlocked at half time 1-1. Enter the second half and step up the legend that was Alan Shearer to score a brilliant hat trick. Those 3 goals helped Shearer to win the Golden Boot award for our title winning season.

October 2001

There was only one game really to choose from the 00’s that was our demolition of West Ham and our biggest win over the Irons. Flitcroft put Rovers into the lead from a cross by the misunderstood star Grabbi! We were to get two more goals in the first half hour through Dunn and Johnson. West Ham started to dominate before half time and early into the second but the game swung in our favour when a West ham player was sent off. A own goal followed by 3 quick goals in the last ten minutes by Tugay, Jansen and Hignett sealed an emphatic win. Every time I hear the theme music to “The Magnificent Seven” I think of this game!

December 2010

Well into the 10’s, or what ever this decade is going to be called! West Ham go into this game with an away record of won 0, drawn 3 and lost 5, scoring only 4 goals in the process. With their away record and with Ewood turning back to “Fortress Ewood” by winning the last three home games, this should be 3 points in the bag! Unfortunately this is what I thought before the last two home games against West Ham and both ended in draws and we do have a bad habit of gifting points to struggling sides but we should have enough to get a home win and hopefully give all Rovers fans an early Christmas present.

Part 2

An Interview with a (not so) Happy Hammer

Hopefully to follow soon!

May I wish all the Christian supporters on here a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to all.

Anyway over to you guys.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we have a terrible habit of kick starting West Ham's seasons, and this is 1 that really needs kick starting, this is a hugs banana skin. I see us getting beat 1-0 with a dodgy penalty. On the plus side, my wee girl is coming down with me and I don't think she's seen us lose at Ewood, yet.

My team would be for this game:-

Robinson; Salgado, Samba, Nelsen, Olsson; E.Diouf, Jones, Pedersen, Hoilett; Kalinic, M.Diouf.

Subs:- Bunn, Givet, Emerton, Dunn, Benjani, Roberts, Morris

as long as we never play 3 centre halves again.....to steal a quote from alan pardew we should 'rape' a garbage, confidence drained shower like wham

be very tempted to rest nelsen and givet both need a wake up call givet especially

Salgado Samba Hanley Ollson

Emerton Jones Pedersen

Mame Roberts Hoillet

The 1989 match which finished 5-4 to Rovers certainly had a nail biting finish.

Wasn't that the game when Everton manager Howard Kendall said, "Today I have seen a one million pound player".

Everyone thought it was Scott Sellars but it was actually a West Ham midfielder who was extremely dangerous to us in the second half. I can't remember his name. Was it Ward?

• Backroom

as long as we never play 3 centre halves again.....to steal a quote from alan pardew we should 'rape' a garbage, confidence drained shower like wham

be very tempted to rest nelsen and givet both need a wake up call givet especially

Salgado Samba Hanley Ollson

Emerton Jones Pedersen

Mame Roberts Hoillet

I can't see the sense in resting Nelsen but leaving Jones in CM and bringing in an unproven youngster.

Jones continues to look like a defender in midfield so anything to get him back in defence is good.

Rather Linganzi or Goulon play in the centre with Jones in defence.

Great preview Rovgers.

The 1979/80 match saw one of the best strikes I have ever seen- McKenzie got the winner with a 30 yard strike that never went above 6 feet off the ground, swerved 6 feet and beat Phil Parkes at his near post. The amazing thing was, he struck the ball when both he and the ball were more or less stationary- extraordinary skill.

I'd say this is a must not lose game but in the current febrile atmosphere is in the must win with style category.

Great preview Rovgers.

The 1979/80 match saw one of the best strikes I have ever seen- McKenzie got the winner with a 30 yard strike that never went above 6 feet off the ground, swerved 6 feet and beat Phil Parkes at his near post. The amazing thing was, he struck the ball when both he and the ball were more or less stationary- extraordinary skill.

I'd say this is a must not lose game but in the current febrile atmosphere is in the must win with style category.

WHU is one of those games I dread. I will never forget the goal that never was - though forgotton the season. Rovers always seem to struggle against them. a bogey team. I really hope that this time the hoodoo will be battered. Rovers always seem to give WHU the leg up when they need it.

Wife and I coming up for this game, as well as stoke and WBA away.

I'm coming to Ewood again! For the second year in a row, I'll make the long travel from Holland to Lancashire, and hopefully this will be the first (out of 4 matches I've visited) time Rovers will win (and actually score...not a good record for me).

Q: How are the WHU-away-fans? When I come by train from Liverpool, can I put my blue/white kit on or do I get battered by hoolies?

See u guys this saturday at Ewood Arms ;)

I'm coming to Ewood again! For the second year in a row, I'll make the long travel from Holland to Lancashire, and hopefully this will be the first (out of 4 matches I've visited) time Rovers will win (and actually score...not a good record for me).

Q: How are the WHU-away-fans? When I come by train from Liverpool, can I put my blue/white kit on or do I get battered by hoolies?

See u guys this saturday at Ewood Arms ;)

Ewood Arms has closed Daremz, still plenty of pubs around though! :xmas:

I remember the sit down protest in the Darwen end like it was yesterday, who pulled the strings in the second half for WH? was it Liam Brady? A one man show if memory serves me correctly and we could count ourselves lucky to win in the end.

Allardyces defensive display at home to WHU, was it last season? Or his first season? Whenever it was, it was scandalous and shouldn’t be repeated here.

If he goes for the win we’ll be comfortable 2-0

Ewood Arms has closed Daremz, still plenty of pubs around though! :xmas:

Any decent bars near travelodge in Darwen - though I normally end up with takeaways from somerfield. Plus a frown or two from those who clean the room!!!!!!!

A few posts from the KUMB.com forum, the biggest (unofficial) West Ham site:

Fat Sam will be smarting big time after Blackburn lost their 11 year unbeaten record against Bolton yesterday in unlucky circumstances and my feeling is that he will want to take out vengeance against whoever their next opponents happened to be and as fate would have it, that happens to be us. Personally, I think our players are now so low, uninspired, defeatist and de-motivated they have no self belief left and this stems from Grant, that I can see a defeat in this game of monumental proportions and whilst I don't want to see that happen, it wouldn't be such a bad thing if it did. A defeat like Roeder suffered up at their gaffe in 2002, a 0-7, would almost certainly spell the end of Grant's reign
Terrible thing to say. But for the long term good we need a dicking up there and then its likely Mr Toad will be fired
We will lose 4 or 5 nil.

Good to see they have faith in us (or no faith at all in their own team/manager), but we are, after all, Blackburn Rovers, and I bet we will give them a lifeline in this match. 0-2 loss against our biggest bogey team.

Any decent bars near travelodge in Darwen - though I normally end up with takeaways from somerfield. Plus a frown or two from those who clean the room!!!!!!!

Golden Cup under the motorway bridge is a nice little boozer, also the Fernhurst a bit farther on.

If you like a takeway/restaurant, get into Darwen town centre and get yourself a ruby- Sukhi's, Akash and Anaz on the high street are all superb curry houses.

Golden Cup under the motorway bridge is a nice little boozer, also the Fernhurst a bit farther on.

If you like a takeway/restaurant, get into Darwen town centre and get yourself a ruby- Sukhi's, Akash and Anaz on the high street are all superb curry houses.

Thanks, tried the golden cup last year. Tight squeeze. I do know of one pub, not brilliant if my memory serves me right, called the Anchor. It could be a good meeting place for Rovers supporters travelling from outside of the area - especialy if they stayed at travelodge, as there is parking there.

You don't mean Mark Ward, the one who served 4 years in prison for supplying drugs?

I remember the sit down protest in the Darwen end like it was yesterday, who pulled the strings in the second half for WH? was it Liam Brady? A one man show if memory serves me correctly and we could count ourselves lucky to win in the end.

The one man second half show was Mark Ward. I didn't know he was sent to prison.

Archived