BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Goodbye Sam - message to Venkys

jim mk2

Were Rovers right to get rid of Big Sam ?  

1. 1. Were Rovers right to get rid of Big Sam ?

• Yes, we need better if we are to progress
    • No, realistically he's as good as it gets and was doing ok
    • Maybe, I'm not sure, but I believe the club know what they are doing.
    • Other

Saw this earlier from Jonathan Wilson:

@jonawils

#Allardyce sacking... apparently he refused to follow up on new regime's suggested January signings (inc Geovani and Kris Boyd).

That about sums it up for me.

If that's true, and I stress IF, we are in trouble.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are about to see whether Venky's really know anything about running a football club - or have had the wool pulled over their eyes by Kentaro.

To sack Sam they must have somebody already lined up - anything else would be absolute madness. I struggle to come up with a name that would be much better than Sam - and unless the new manager is given a significant transfer fund I really fear for the club.

Whatever you say about Sam - his style of football was suited to the level of player we generally have at the club. Personally I do think we could have mixed it up a little more - but if Venky's feel a new manager can come in and make us play like Barca with a £5m transfer chest they are in for a shock.

Time to sit back and hope for the best - a new top name manager with significant transfer funds and we will all feel a little better. I still worry that we are about to become another Portsmouth - unless Venky's have more money than people realised.

I really hope this will lead to better things for BLackburn and Sam but I think both are the losers here.

I guess it is their football club and Sam plays fairly bad style of football although I think Sam is great.

What will happen now

thanks Sam we owe you big time.

If that's true, and I stress IF, we are in trouble.

Perhaps the 5M they were quoted as being prepared to spend wasn't a bluff.

Sam's list of wantted players came to about 20M.

IMO a new manager will need to spend 20M on our squad to stand still ie finish tenth

If Sam had spent 20M we would probably be aiming for the top six

Saw this earlier from Jonathan Wilson:

@jonawils

#Allardyce sacking... apparently he refused to follow up on new regime's suggested January signings (inc Geovani and Kris Boyd).

Boyd surely not, dreadful dreadful player, can hear the chants now to Venky's and Kentaro...

You've bought the wrong club

you've bought the wrong club

this is Blackburn get out of our town

1 SOCCER Blackburn Reaction Nightlead

ALLARDYCE SACKING 'ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS' - FERGUSON

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has described Sam Allardyce's sacking by Blackburn as ``stupid'' and ``absolutely ridiculous''.

New owners the Venky's Group announced they had dispensed with the former Bolton boss' services despite Rovers sitting relatively comfortably in 13th in the Barclays Premier League.

And Ferguson, speaking after his side's 1-0 win at home to Arsenal tonight, was baffled by the move.

The United boss told Sky Sports 1: ``He phoned me at 3.10pm today saying 'can I have a cup of tea tonight?' because he was coming to the game. Then he phones me at half past four and says 'I've been sacked'.

``I've never heard of such a stupid decision in all my life, it's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what they're doing up there, but deary me.

``It confounds common sense to be honest with you. Absolutely ridiculous.``I wouldn't like to follow him!''

The 9-0-1 formation.

His ego has bucket loads. His football? Not so much.

Some of the best teams in the world play in a defensive fashion. Look at Inter last season.

Style of football and ambition to succeed are very different things. A manager who plays attacking football isn't more ambitious than a manager who plays defensive football, they just have different ideas of how to achieve success.

Filed this one away with all the others for the roll call of shame which will be brought out to remind so-called fans of their stupidity when the dismissal of Sam comes back to haunt us.

You do that. And I'll gladly ask you to point out where I said we're better off without.

I'm saying the man's an ass. I'm not saying I agree with the timing, the way it was handled or anything to do with it.

We won't know what's for the best until it's happened. I'm sure you and many people on here will get on their high horse if you're right and not mention it if you're wrong.

Maybe you should care more about your club than building a stock pile to potentially gloat with.

Truly disgusting decision. I don't know if Sam refused to comply with Venky's wishes or Venky's just wanted their own man in, but to sack Sam now is ludicrous. It could destabilise the team and we have no idea what manager will be brought in and what players, if any. We can only hope for the best now.

It's a great shame to sack a manager that has been so level-headed and with so much personality while being here. You could criticise him as much as you want for his comments or his playing style, but the man knew what he was doing and he brought a good level of stability to our club on a criminally low budget and gave a chance to our youngsters who have shown what they can do.

Thanks Sam and good luck for the future.

Just like to record on here my thanks to Sam Allardyce for saving Rovers from relegation 2 seasons ago and saving the club from probable oblivion. His departure is a disgrace and an indictment on the new owners. I cannot believe John Williams would have approved of this decision. Is he the next to go ?

All those on here who disliked Allardyce and wanted him replaced have their wish. I hope I'm wrong but when this unnecessary upheaval ends in relegation this season or next they should hang their heads in shame.

I doubt if the new owners look at this site but all those who support Sam and are horrified by this decision might like to send a message to them by adding their names below.

Spot on Jim. :tu:

This is NOT how Rovers conduct their business,a sad day indeed and i for one fear the worse under this lot! :wacko:

If I recall I was slated on here for mentioning that I had a bad feeling about this group. It seems I was not wrong. Now begins the winter of our discontent. They HAVE to get this one right but I really deep down feel this is nothing to do with running a successful football club it's about money. I have never been a fan of Sam's and I hate the brand of football we play I really do but the end of the season would have been better. If Sam has stuck to his guns regarding transfer policy then good for him. However, if this is the reason then it seems that the next manager is going to be some sort of yes man. Very worried here.

1 SOCCER Blackburn Reaction Nightlead

ALLARDYCE SACKING 'ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS' - FERGUSON

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has described Sam Allardyce's sacking by Blackburn as ``stupid'' and ``absolutely ridiculous''.

New owners the Venky's Group announced they had dispensed with the former Bolton boss' services despite Rovers sitting relatively comfortably in 13th in the Barclays Premier League.

And Ferguson, speaking after his side's 1-0 win at home to Arsenal tonight, was baffled by the move.

The United boss told Sky Sports 1: ``He phoned me at 3.10pm today saying 'can I have a cup of tea tonight?' because he was coming to the game. Then he phones me at half past four and says 'I've been sacked'.

``I've never heard of such a stupid decision in all my life, it's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what they're doing up there, but deary me.

``It confounds common sense to be honest with you. Absolutely ridiculous.``I wouldn't like to follow him!''

For once I agree with Fergie

I feel a 90 minute rendition of 'There's only one Jack Walker' coming on

With "you don't know what you're doing" thrown in somewhere.

Plus a beautifully sung version of "you can shove your f**king chickens up your arse" thrown in for good

measure.

I know I've dropped off the radar entirely around these parts -- going from school to a full-time job tends to readjust your life priorities, after all -- but I'm still a Rovers supporter, I still make it a point to watch them whenever they're on TV over here, and I still poke my head in to BRFCS to get the pulse every once in awhile. And I have to say: I couldn't agree more with jim mk2.

I'm honestly embarrassed to be a Rovers supporter with the way Venky's has handled this situation. I wish Sam the best of luck in his future endeavors, and thank him for all of the hard work he put in at Ewood on a shoestring budget. And I can't help but be anxious, maybe even downright frightened, about the direction the club goes from here. Let's be honest: it takes an above-average Premiership manager to keep Rovers in the Premiership on a continuous basis. You don't discard one who wants to be here.

In true X Factor style here are Sam's highlights:

Debut win over Stoke 3-0

Survival with games to spare after arriving with 13 points from 17 games (1 point better off than West Ham are now)

Signing Steven N'Zonzi

Getting £7.5m for Stephen Warnock

Getting £18m for Roque Santa Cruz

Getting £3m for Matt Derbyshire (All three look like great deals at the moment)

Doing the double over Burnley

League Cup Semi Finalists

Debut of Phil Jones

Undefeated against the 'Big Four' at home in 2009/2010 (Including a win over Arsenal)

Away win at Villa to clinch 10th place

Only 3 home defeats during the 09/10 season

The recent return to form of Morten Gamst Pedersen

Development of Phil Jones (first team oppertunities given to Hoillet, Olsson, Hanley, Morris)

Lowlights:

Throwing away two goal lead at home to City

Poor away records during tenure

5-0 at Stamford Bridge

7-1 at Old Trafford

Signing Pascal Chimbonda

Substance over Style (Personally I'd take results every time over style)

Alienating players (Roberts, Derbyshire and to a lesser extent N'Zonzi)

Poor FA Cup record

Totally different circumstances, I know, but didn't Jack get rid of a steady manager to bring in a big name shortly after his takeover?

He did but remember Jack was a local man not a foreigner. Dont underestimate the racial and xenophobic undertones to alot of the anti Venkys crowd.

Don't see why Sam should not sue for wrongful dismissal.

Don't talk nonsense jim. Sam has no recourse for wrongful dismissal unless the Club fail to pay off his correct contractual notice entitlement.

As you well know I suspect.

He might have a technical case for unfair dismissal but any compensation due would be completely insignificant to a man of his wealth - he must have earned well over 4m pounds from his 2 year stint at Rovers alone.

Do you support Blackburn Rovers Football Club or Sam Allardyce?

I think for a lot of people (myself included) the timing is more questionable than the actual decision to get rid of him.

That was my first thought ahead of a busy Christmas period, but maybe the timing is not so strange from the owners point of view if they are thinking of spending significant money in January and either don't trust Sam to spend it wisely (not altogether surprising after Kalinic) or don't believe he can deliver the style of football he wants regardless of budget (which I'm sure he can't)

As for Sam he did an excellent job of keeping us up in the season Ince was sacked and for that reason alone I'm sure he leaves with most people's good wishes despite misgivings about his style of play etc.

The owners have set the bar very high and taken a big gamble with this decision, we could probably have chugged on until the end of the season and attained safety and then simply not renewed Sam's contract. That would have been the dignified "Blackburn Rovers way of doing things."

But, really, if the owners want to push the Club forwards, why wait until then?

Just hope this is another defining Don McKay/Kenny Dalglish or David Speedie/Alan Shearer type moment taken for the greater good and not simply the run up to appointing a "yes man."

Archived