BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

On Wednesday, 22 December, Blackburn Rovers announced that Steve Kean has been appointed manager until the end of the current season following a meeting with the owners in Pune, India. At his first press conference on Thursday, Kean spoke to the media about his discussions with the owners and his motives for making the long trip at such short notice. "The main reason for going was so I could stand up in front of the players this morning and tell them the direction the club's going in and I am delighted to say it was a very positive meeting and anything I am going to tell the lads is to look forward to. It was excellent."

During his meeting with the owners Kean was promised that there would be investment during the January transfer window: "The overall message is there is going to be investment in this transfer window." Recent speculation had suggested that players would be sold to finance activity in the January transfer window, but Kean was able to allay those fears, saying that "The players were worried we were going to have to sell players, but the chairlady says we don't have to sell anybody. Obviously, if there is anybody that doesn't want to be at the club and we get the right offer then that is something we will consider. We don't have to sell to raise any capital. There is going to be investment to improve the squad in the areas where we are weak. Certainly, as for the emerging crop of young developing players, she does not want to sell any of those players and she wants to draw a line under that."

After a week of uncertainty, rumour and speculation which has not put the club in a good light, it was great to see that new manager Steve Kean seems to have taken charge of the situation and is trying to focus the minds of the players and fans on what happens on the field. Rovers face a hectic programme of matches starting with tomorrow's Boxing Day match against Stoke City.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Steve Kean on Talksport radio the other day (christmas eve, i think) talking about his trip to India & his role at Rovers. Got to admit the guy comes across well. He said he had spoken to his top senior players before he flew out to India & was disappointed to hear what was coming from the Samba camp, because they had all agreed to wait for the outcome of Kean`s trip. He went on to say he had since spoken to Samba, who seemed to be more 'on side' after their chat.

listen to the interview....

I don't care how much a "gem" Kean is a press conferences

Sack a good manager and replace him with an unknown, unexperienced, untested, first team coach and you get two horrible results and performances.

Venky deserve these results.

Id say the supporters deserve it....fickle!

Soooooooooo many fans didnt like Sam or his style & moaned every week - when he's gone, its the owners that get the stick.

Becareful what you wish for id say!! About time the so called 'supporters' supported there team instead of kicking off the whole game - embrassing!

Hughesy I agree, but when you say SO MANY, you are being unfair. I think a minority of Rovers fans had problems with Sam, and they were the same people who had problems with his hiring in the first place. About 77% of people on this website said they were against his sacking (out of about 500-600).

Hughesy I agree, but when you say SO MANY, you are being unfair. I think a minority of Rovers fans had problems with Sam, and they were the same people who had problems with his hiring in the first place. About 77% of people on this website said they were against his sacking (out of about 500-600).

and 85% against it on LT

BBC- Blackburn manager Steve Kean: "(On being booed by fans towards the end of the game) Anytime you lose at home the fans are going to show their frustrations. I'm disappointed because we spoke about Stoke's threat from set plays and then we were a bit too open when chasing the game."

and 85% against it on LT

Against his sacking once it was done you mean?

The people who were unhappy with his sacking was more to do with the timing and how we did it - not about getting rid of him. The amount of people who hated him, his style, his expert comments etc was huge.

Im sorry but from where I sit in N02 and also the reactions on here and in the pubs etc - it was VERY CLEAR that the majority where against Big Sam.....you get what you wish for I suppose!

The people who were unhappy with his sacking was more to do with the timing and how we did it - not about getting rid of him. The amount of people who hated him, his style, his expert comments etc was huge.

Im sorry but from where I sit in N02 and also the reactions on here and in the pubs etc - it was VERY CLEAR that the majority where against Big Sam.....you get what you wish for I suppose!

nobody wished for a rookie to get put in charge though

Anyone who wanted Sam sacked would have hoped for an experienced manager after our experiences with Harford, Kidd and Ince, they all put us in the bottom three.

JW would have never allowed this.

Most of the people I had spoken to wanted Sam out but thought it should have been done at the end of the season. That would have allowed us some time to find a new manager, time to bring in the players he wanted and a full pre-season for the manager to impose his tactical decisions/ideas. It was pretty much my viewpoint as well.

Most of the people I had spoken to wanted Sam out but thought it should have been done at the end of the season. That would have allowed us some time to find a new manager, time to bring in the players he wanted and a full pre-season for the manager to impose his tactical decisions/ideas. It was pretty much my viewpoint as well.

We've had time to find a new manager and we've found who we want - Steve Kean. Doing it at the end of the season wouldn't have made any difference.

The one thing that the people who wanted Sam out didn't realise, was that there are plenty of worse options out there. They have got what they wished for and it's going to cost us big style.

My dad has requested that I say on his behalf that he does not Kean at all. He thinks he has wormed his way to the job by brown nosing the Indians, and undermining from within. He also thinks he'll be a rubbish manager.

I'm a bit more open minded, but I am not that impressed so far.

The one thing that the people who wanted Sam out didn't realise, was that there are plenty of worse options out there. They have got what they wished for and it's going to cost us big style.

The people that wanted him out are the same people that talk about the importance of loyalty, which is despicable. As far as most of those people were concerned, we needed Sam to save us from relegation, but as soon as he did we wanted him out... to be replaced by who?

Cant wait for nicko and the nickoteens to come along and tell us all is well. Sure his post match interview was superb. Such a shame that where it matters on the green grass we have been garbage. Two games jeered off in both. Doesnt look good. Only 7 points off the bottom having played more games.

Big Sam is history ...A ludicrous decision and Mr Kean is the new manager another ludicrous decision !!!!

Blackburn Rovers have now only one hope ...I suspect we will lose at WBA , Sunderland and Liverpool at home ...

What happens then ?????

4 defeats out of 5 , quite probably we will be in the bottom 3 , when QPR turn up for the FA cup...

I think Mr Kean will then be relieved of his duties .... I do not wish BRFC to lose any game ,but in the long term I suspect it maybe for the best ...

But who would want the job then ???

Big Sam is history ...A ludicrous decision and Mr Kean is the new manager another ludicrous decision !!!!

Blackburn Rovers have now only one hope ...I suspect we will lose at WBA , Sunderland and Liverpool at home ...

What happens then ?????

4 defeats out of 5 , quite probably we will be in the bottom 3 , when QPR turn up for the FA cup...

I think Mr Kean will then be relieved of his duties .... I do not wish BRFC to lose any game ,but in the long term I suspect it maybe for the best ...

But who would want the job then ???

Quite a few if we pay them enough, everyone likes money.......we could surely quadruple holloways wages

I hope this experiment works and doesn't bite us. I can see what he (Kean) wants to do and I hope (desperately) that it works. I think, given time, it will and Kean is the man for the job but we need to make sure of survival this season first.

I was p@ssed off at the end of the match but there is something about this guy that says to me he will be a success. It might take a while.

Who was on the bench?

Ah, EH Diouf, Linganzi, Doran, Benjani, Morris. Bunn, Hoilett.

Hm, I know Hoilett was substituted for Dunn, a fair substitution I'd say, but the others wouldn't inspire me either, and I guess they were all there was available.

Dunn used to be one of my all-time favourite players here... but now I can only look on him and sigh. You'd think with his injury problems, he'd do the utmost to keep himself in shape.

EDIT: Wrong soddin' thread but RAWR anyway!

Archived