BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see Kean win today and i will stand by original statement which is that the time to judge him will be Feb 1st, this result will ensure the vultures stay away for a while and the squad can continue to gel into new systems and style of play.

The lack of respect shown to someone who was a coach for the past 18 months and has fully served his apprenticeship has been quite disgusting.

Being a coach for the last 18 months doesn't qualify you to be a Premier League manager at one of the more challenging jobs in the league though does it?

Like I said Steve Kean has done a great job today, and I hope he carries on in this manner.

But "serving your apprenticeship" alone doesn't qualify you to manage in this league. And the definition of "serving your apprenticeship" is a highly variable one.

If he succeeds everyone on here will be happy, but it doesn't change the fact a needless gamble was taken with our future.

If Kean ends up doing a good job for us this season then he'll deserve every credit, but this was not a decision made with any footballing knowledge or acumen. It was still a clueless stab in the dark.

The lack of respect shown to someone who was a coach for the past 18 months and has fully served his apprenticeship has been quite disgusting.

fully served his apprenticeship? How many people get to manage a Premier League club with no prior management experience at any level?

For someone who has claimed to have no personal interest in Blackburn you have made your opinion heard loud and clear at every possible opportunity and it comes across as rather childish at times, particularly given your supposedly non-partisan media status. We are the ones who support this club, we're the ones who are driven by passion and love for our club to make some opinionated and (at times) argumentative statements. So what's your excuse? Steve Kean and Venkys don't need you to come on a Blackburn rovers fans message board and give everyone the virtual finger everytime something goes their way, it's petulant and I thought you of all people were above that based on what I've seen from you these past few years. We get it, you think everyone should give Kean and Venkys a chance. Surely someone with your high journalistic standards doesn't need to labour that point in this forum of all places, particular as you are supposed to be so ambivalent about it.

Just happy to see egg on a few faces...some that seem to be ducking for cover right now.

The bandwagon-jumping blethers have shown a few folk up too.

You judge this regime at the end of January when their 'plan' starts to take shape - and signings are made. That was an astonishing result in the circumstances. Your bench at Sunderland will be full of unknowns now too.

There will be three or four managers who will find their clubs don't back them and their judgement in the transfer market next month...at least your owners had the bottle to make that decision sooner.

Is this some sort of a joke?

Being a coach for the last 18 months doesn't qualify you to be a Premier League manager at one of the more challenging jobs in the league though does it?

Like I said Steve Kean has done a great job today, and I hope he carries on in this manner.

But "serving your apprenticeship" alone doesn't qualify you to manage in this league. And the definition of "serving your apprenticeship" is a highly variable one.

If he succeeds everyone on here will be happy, but it doesn't change the fact a needless gamble was taken with our future.

If Kean ends up doing a good job for us this season then he'll deserve every credit, but this was not a decision made with any footballing knowledge or acumen. It was still a clueless stab in the dark.

Well said TGM ! dont think nicko realises that his above comment disrespects us all.

Nicko did Kean hypnotised you in the press conference.

He still has a lot to prove, 1 draw, 1 loss, 1 win.

I think he made some good decisions though today, but West Brom were weak.

I only knew 2 of West Brom players. the other 9 I had no idea who they were.

Well Done Steve Kean. Good win for the team and fans. Maybe some of us were to quick to judge him. I still don't like the way we sacked BS and NM but it is time to move on now!

Let's get behind the team and manager. The owners will be judge at the end of the January by the type of player we sign and how much we spend. I don't trust them yet, I still don't like all the mixed messages that you get from the family. It will take time for the fans to trust them. It would be better if they started letting John Williams doing his job properly and running the club.

Wish the owners would just do a simple interview on the rovers website or the LET, and tell us what the plans are, where they want the club to club and just send out ONE CLEAR MESSAGE! I was pleased when I heard Kean on talksport Christmas Eve said that he said to the owners, start using the club press officer to do interviews. Clear willing to tell them his view on the matter of mixed messages.

Hope for the same against Sunderland

Also get in a experience number 2 and first team coach to help you aswell

Just happy to see egg on a few faces...some that seem to be ducking for cover right now.

The bandwagon-jumping blethers have shown a few folk up too.

You judge this regime at the end of January when their 'plan' starts to take shape - and signings are made. That was an astonishing result in the circumstances. Your bench at Sunderland will be full of unknowns now too.

There will be three or four managers who will find their clubs don't back them and their judgement in the transfer market next month...at least your owners had the bottle to make that decision sooner.

Fair dos throwing eggs is an enjoyable past-time.

You can't blame people for being highly sceptical about it all, rovers have been here many times before. Kidd, Harford, Hughes, Ince and now Kean and despite it all Sam was guaranteed premiership football. From the outside in, no matter how you look at it, giving Kean the job is on hell of a gamble.

The big issue I have with all this judge them at the end of January stuff is that by then its over and if its all gone pear shaped we're most likely down. But we need 15 more points to get 40 with 18 to go surely we can win 5 of those?

When you say 'Your bench at Sunderland will be full of unknowns now too' are you inferring new players?

I'm absolutely delighted that our owners actually seem to be willing to spend in January. However forgive me for wishing to wait till these mega players actually play in one of our shirts, given our new owners belief in words.

Bold decision to drop Givet who on recent form deserved it. Lets just hope he does the same with Dunn now.

Givet and Samba were having a good cosy chat with each other during the match.

We get it, you think everyone should give Kean and Venkys a chance. Surely someone with your high journalistic standards doesn't need to labour that point in this forum of all places, particular as you are supposed to be so ambivalent about it.

Well I'm a fan, so would it make any difference if I echoed Nicko's comments? Steve Kean has taken over a difficult job in difficult circumstances. I can't think of a similar situation where a manager has been instantly under pressure from both the fans and the new owners not only for results but results with style. Add to that the captain throwing his toys out of the pram, injuries and a poor squad! Yes, the first two results and performances were poor, but the reaction of a lot of people on here was disgusting.

I have no idea if he's a decent manager, safe to say most on here and Venky's have no idea either. Christ, Steve Kean probably doesn't even know! It is far to early to judge based on two weeks in the circus that Rovers currently is. Two poor results didn't make him a rubbish manager and today's great result doesn't make him the next Alex Ferguson.

The earliest that a reasonable judgement can be made is probably the end of March when any new signings have had time to bed in, and Kean will be putting his stamp on the team (rather than trying to play pretty football with Allardyce's). Hopefully the majority of the fans (and more importantly the owners) will give him this time. I certainly intend to.

Well I'm a fan, so would it make any difference if I echoed Nicko's comments?

You're making my point. I am not arguing on the pros and cons of Kean here, just why a national journalist feels the need to continually pick sides in this particular debate and to do it in a somewhat snide manner. It goes against his previous aloofness on almost every subject Rovers-related since he joined the site and I am curious as to why.

No one's getting ahead of themselves about Kean. We all know he has a long way to go to prove himself as a PL manager. But today was a great result and team performance. Let's savour it before the next piece of controversy and rumour milling!

Archived