BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As everyone will be aware from my previous postings I wasn't at all upset by the sacking of Allardyce but that was subject to someone better or of equivalent stature being brought in.

I was hoping Kean might turn out to be a hidden gem and I did think the players might rather enjoy not having to hoof the ball in the air at every available opportunity but on the evidence of the two home games so far the players have not reacted favourably to Kean or his appointment.

In my view the owners will have to accept they have made a mistake, act swiftly and decisively and bring someone in quickly of the calibre of O'Neill, Jol, or Hughes (or better).

If that happens there should be relatively little damage done as we are still clear of the danger zone. We don't want to be risking falling into the bottom three then changing the manager again.

I was hoping Kean might turn out to be a hidden gem and I did think the players might rather enjoy not having to hoof the ball in the air at every available opportunity but on the evidence of the two home games so far the players have not reacted favourably to Kean or his appointment.

Most of the players enjoyed winning football under Sam and thought, with maybe an addition in January, we could better the 10th league position of last season (given the way the league is shaping up).

If we win tomorrow we're on 25 points and 5 wins in 2011 from safety

Lets not panic.

At least we go into a transfer window with some money for once!!

You're far too level-headed for this messageboard. Have you not realised that by sacking the Second Coming we've absolutely guaranteed that we'll be playing Conference football in 4 years' time??

;)

Aye, 'money to spend', the statement that makes this whole disgrace acceptable.

Money that still nobody has explained where it is coming from. Just like the debt was 'to be paid off', now it is has just 'been taken on'.

As worrying is:

Who would play for Keen?

How would a rookie manager really know how to spend it?

Keen "will" makes mistakes, that not his fault, he has to learn from them, but why learn the trade at a PL club already.

How will a first team coach ever be able to control all the ego's, that why an outside man is better.

Most of the players enjoyed winning football under Sam and thought, with maybe an addition in January, we could better the 10th league position of last season (given the way the league is shaping up).

It was hardly "winning football" uder Sam - it was a case of win a few home games and lose all our away games.

Even that however was admittedly far better than the performances dished up against Stoke and West'aaaam.

It was hardly "winning football" uder Sam - it was a case of win a few home games and lose all our away games.

Even that however was admittedly far better than the performances dished up against Stoke and West'aaaam.

We lost 6 home games in 2 years. We finished 10th, we got to a cup semi final.

Sam did an excellent job, people can disagree about the style of football he produced, however for motivation, for man management, for getting the very most out of a poor squad he should be lauded, his tenure was a success and we will see our folly over the next few months.

Win most of our home games, and have an away record which last season was better than 7 other clubs, and this season was better than 7 other clubs again, including Liverpool.

Still, don't let the truth get in the way...

Win most of our home games, and have an away record which last season was better than 7 other clubs, and this season was better than 7 other clubs again, including Liverpool.

We won just over 50% at home- thats not "most of our home" games.

We conceded 37 goals away from home, which would put us in the bottom 5 for goals conceded.

Sam also has the honour for having the worst goal difference in our PL history over one season.

"There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics." ;)

We conceded 37 goals away from home, which would put us in the bottom 5 for goals conceded.

Sam also has the honour for having the worst goal difference in our PL history over one season.

Imy9

nice quote, how about:

"better the devil you know"

If you think there are many better options then Sam you are going to be in for a surprise I think

We would be half way up the Championship without him.

Semantics, some would argue over half does qualify as "most" - either way you can use the word "majority" and it would apply. Certainly more than "winning a few home games" as RevidgeBlue would tell us.

Secondly, why are you so obsessed with quoting barely relevant statistics? Points on the board is the ONLY statistic that matters. It's the only statistic that decides whether a team wins the title, gets relegated, finishes in the European places. It's the only statistic that has any bearing on our future and success as a football club.

RevidgeBlue said "lose all your away games", when we got 14 points away from home last season. Below us were Wigan (11), Fulham (10) - managed by someone who was snapped up by Liverpool, may I add, Sunderland (10), Portsmouth (10), West Ham (9), Hull (6) and predictably Burnley (4).

Thirdly - again a barely relevant statistic, which only matters if we finish level with someone. But as I've said before our worst goal difference was 2008-09 (-20), where Sam started with a -17 "headstart" thanks to Ince. But either way, goal difference has never and will never be something a manager will ever be judged on.

with all the rumblings of the field, it was really really important, that kean and the team got of to a good start.

after reading/listening to his interviews/press confrence, which apparently for some , is an indicator of managerial ablities, i too was hoping, that the sensible talk would result in some sensible results/performances.

what has me worried the most, is the fact, that kean seems tactically naive. He states, that our team is weakened due to injuries, but yet he wanted to "play" ball. It seems like a naive approach, that you want to play more attractive football, but with a lesser team. A good manager knows his team strengts and weaknesses and should approach the game accordingly, but kean didnt and that worries me quite a bit.

The facts or "truth" state that our away League record in two seasons under Sam was P38 W7 D8 L23.

Of course we didn't lose "all" our away games, you were reading my post too literally out of the context it was intended but it's still a pretty appalling record no-one should be happy with.

after reading/listening to his interviews/press confrence, which apparently for some , is an indicator of managerial ablities, i too was hoping, that the sensible talk would result in some sensible results/performances.

I really don't understand this theory Nicko and other have over how a press conference makes him a potential great manager.

Being a great leader, making great signing, getting results, motivating laggards, being tactical.

He barely stands a chance without experience, poor fella.

The facts or "truth" state that our away League record in two seasons under Sam was P38 W7 D8 L23.

Of course we didn't lose "all" our away games, you were reading my post too literally out of the context it was intended but it's still a pretty appalling record no-one should be happy with.

No one should be happy with that, yet there were regularly clubs spending far more than us who had away records which were significantly worse than ours. This season our away record has been better than Liverpool's for one. Either way, the combined table is all that should matter.

We won more than a "few" of our home games too, so the only context in your post I can see was to paint a very misleading picture of Sam's time in charge and to massively understate his achievements.

Revidge has said pretty much what I was going to say.

However losing 23 out of 38 matches is unacceptable especially when we went out there pretty much to lose, our worst ever pl defeat has happened on Sams watch, playing dire football, do you think it matters to the fans who spent and have been spending hundreds of pounds per game on watching dross and getting hammered to as a bonus.

Let me state again for the record I was firmly pro Sam and think he did a marvellous job, however would I trust him with money? Answer is no way based on what he has purchased over his time at Rovers and Newcastle. The argument abouthow much he has spent, I would say look at who he bought that have cost money but have been swept under a carpet, the likes of Basturk, linganzi, Goulon, Elrio etc.

We won more than a "few" of our home games too, so the only context in your post I can see was to paint a very misleading picture of Sam's time in charge and to massively understate his achievements.

I was responding to the view that Sam's style of play was "winning football" which I feel is over generous given we won just half of our home games and lost nearly two thirds of the away ones.

Debating Big Sam's record is a moot point now. I was pro Sam. I think (still) sacking him was a ridiculous decision but Venkys did. Steve Kean has been given the job and, even though we haven't won yet, I think he is working a minor miracle and I think that will eventually show. Bring in a few much needed players and we'll see what happens then. Have some patience.

I was responding to the view that Sam's style of play was "winning football" which I feel is over generous given we won just half of our home games and lost nearly two thirds of the away ones.

It was "winning football".

It wouldn't be winning football if he was Chelsea manager, but that's not the point.

Finsihing 10th with the resources Sam had qualifies as winning football.

We won 13 games out of 39, which is a good record for Sam under the circumstances but what's with the winning football comment, misleading would you not say? I would say plating effective football is more accurate.

Archived