BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Sam for Burnley

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit disappointed Howe is joining the Clarets. I think he's going to be a top manager.

To take Bournemouth to promotion, and be competitive in League One whilst having no money to spend and your best players being sold whenever a decent bid comes in (Pittman and McQuoid) then you must have something special about you.

Obviously hope he doesnt succeed at Burnley, but I wouldnt be surprised if he got them into the playoffs.

Of the six man shortlist which was leaked two days after Laws was shown the door.

In no particular order

Brown - Wanted answer, didnt get one, went Preston

Lambert - Did a number on us after being lined up at a VERY early stage.

Mackay - Official approach never made

Hughton - Not prepared to move up North.

McInnes - Ruled out at an early stage.

Howe- Got there man.

Despite the name of this thread, Allardyce was never on the list and never stood a chance. Anyone who knows football or even has the slightest clue what Burnleys chairman Barry Kilby is like would have know that.

Leaked? Right.

BROWN...never in it.

LAMBERT...wound you up tight and let you down.

MACKAY...called...agent met...didn't want to come.

HUGHTON...called...didn't want to know.

MCINNES...kept on hold for longer than an Indian call centre.

HOWE...came into last Friday night...as you found out here...

ALLARDYCE...the first, the best, but sadly could not commit because he thought there was something bigger coming last week.

Barry Kilby? Brendan Flood has run this one from start to finish.

And if they never fancied Big Sam why did he get another call yesterday...while the Boy Wonder was making his mind up.

Anyway, I have got a large cigar to finish.

Shoo.

Leaked? Right.

BROWN...never in it.

HOWE...came into last Friday night...as you found out here...

ALLARDYCE...the first, the best, but sadly could not commit because he thought there was something bigger coming last week.

And if they never fancied Big Sam why did he get another call yesterday...while the Boy Wonder was making his mind up.

Shoo.

Right, thats you told Vinni. Now bugger off back to Carrots Mad.

Kilby wouldn't go for someone like Sam? Why, because of Burnley's reputation as a mini Barca?

Do me a favour, your team have been @#/? for 30 years apart from the brief period Moses led you out of the wilderness.

About time you lot got a grip.

Of course you did, Howe was not mentioned until you read it in the Bournemouth Echo! :lol:

Scattergun at its very best. Keep throwing them darts sunshine, and remember one thing, no matter how hard you try, people on a messageboard will never look up to you in the same way you look up to Owen Coyle.

Now, I’m off to think up laughably inaccurate biblical references to describe our new manager and try and decide who is going to take the Premiership by storm this season, Ronaldinho or Sneijder :)

Kilby wouldn't go for someone like Sam? Why, because of Burnley's reputation as a mini Barca?

Do me a favour, your team have been @#/? for 30 years apart from the brief period Moses led you out of the wilderness.

About time you lot got a grip.

No, one simple word, COST

Of course you did, Howe was not mentioned until you read it in the Bournemouth Echo! :lol:

Scattergun at its very best. Keep throwing them darts sunshine, and remember one thing, no matter how hard you try, people on a messageboard will never look up to you in the same way you look up to Owen Coyle.

Now, I’m off to think up laughably inaccurate biblical references to describe our new manager and try and decide who is going to take the Premiership by storm this season, Ronaldinho or Sneijder :)

No, one simple word, COST

You're hilarious.

I've had Howe at 12/1 for nine days.

I wonder how I knew about that...

Eddie Howe has been offered a three-and-a-half year deal on very good money.

He has told mates he goes tomorrow.

Will one of his mates finish his paper round for him before he sets off for the promised land?

Leaked? Right.

BROWN...never in it.

HOWE...came into last Friday night...as you found out here...ALLARDYCE...the first, the best, but sadly could not commit because he thought there was something bigger coming last week.

Shoo.

Howe was in the frame on 31st December, very much a front runner and backed by one of the major players (Directors) at Burnley,

see my PM to Longsiders on 31/12/10

You're hilarious.

I've had Howe at 12/1 for nine days.

I wonder how I knew about that...

You hi jacked my pm to Longsiders on the 31/12/10

Thought for the day...if Martin O'Neill takes West Ham [as now looks almost certain] then that is two Premier League jobs Sam has missed out on in a few days.

You can't wait for these things to land.

Should have gone with his first hunch and taken Burnley.

Lets hope Owen Coyle has learnt a few lessions from Eddie Howe on how to leave a club with dignity.

If only he had Eddies advisors.

Yeah.

Let's talk to three clubs and claim to have turned down two...when you haven't.

Let's tell Palace that Burnley offered you more.

Let's pledge our future to Bournemouth.

Let's get more money out of Burnley.

Let's go to Colchester and lose.

Dignity? Remember that if he gets you promoted and moves on...

Will it be Judas or Jezebel? Or just plain old Shadrack?

Quote Beerwins......

There is just one thing that has bothered me, the style of football is terrible it's beyond terrible, how we have been brainwashed into getting exited for free kicks and corner ball's had just gone on way too long, you can talk about Sam's tactics and how we were more than a set piece team but thousands of fans walking away from a 3-0 win with long faces, talking about how we had just been outplayed by wolves at home but somehow managed to win say's it all.

My dad who first introduced me to Rovers, who has had a season ticket way before I was born, was talking of not renewing his season ticket for next year, this news left me heartbroke as I have shared many a year with my dad watching Rovers, although granted I dont go to as many as I would like but I still buy my season ticket to go when I can and be with my old man.

I had to work late so missed the first half of the Liverpool game and caught the rest on tv, after the game my old man rang me up giddy as a schoolgirl talking about renewing his season ticket and how that was the best match he has had seen in two years and what prospects the young lads on the wings looked.

That match for him and that phonecall for me were enough reason to buy two more season tickets next year REGARDLESS of remaining fixtures and points taken. Football for some is more than the Premier league.

This fantastic post is spot on.

Going down to the concourse at half time in the Liverpool game was a revelation. Smiling faces everywhere, people bouyed by the football in the first half - it was like chalk and cheese compared to earlier in the season.

People were starting to vote with their feet because of the dire football being served up. The concourses were packed 10-15 minutes before half time, more people were staying down there after HT ... and some ST holders around us just weren't turning up to games at all.

Personally, we'd stopped going to away games (Turf Moor was our last one under SA) and eventually even at home I snapped earlier this season and bought a Blues Bar pass so I could at least sit in comfort with a drink for second halves at Ewood (and I was still using my ST, and the club had the benefit of my spending).

Sure if we get relegated (and I don't think we will) some fans would drift away, but I think many others were going to drift away under the previous manager even if we stayed up.

Now, we are where we are ... the owners have a lot to learn, but Kean is the manager and he's already given new hope to thousands of fans like Beerwins and his dad. I've not used my Blues pass since he took charge, long may the entertainment continue!!

No it's not really Tris. Your prejudice is clouding your memory and your perception. Name another performance under Kean as good as the one against Lpool? (There isn't one btw.) There was a good away win at WBA down to an average performance but everything else has been poor to downright awful. Alternatively try to remember the performance against Chelsea 2 months ago and tell me that that was rubbish too. But for two appalling late misses by Diouff and Roberts we'd have beaten them and deserved it and had that warm feeling as we trotted home. Rem they were top of the table then and not lurking dispirited in the bottom third with a dead man walking for a manager.

Great performance though it was against Liverpool lets please remember that one swallow does not make a summer.

Tris as for Beerwins Dad.... I'll have a small wager with you involving a large glass filled with beer that Old Mr Beerwins wont get another ST next season.

It took Sam two years to get to this point, Kean has had half a dozen games with a squad minus key figures, I think we will see a Kean team at the start of next season- that's if he is still manager then. All I will say is that I have been impressed by Kean and sense he will be successful.

It took Sam two years to get to this point, Kean has had half a dozen games with a squad minus key figures, I think we will see a Kean team at the start of next season- that's if he is still manager then. All I will say is that I have been impressed by Kean and sense he will be successful.

C'mon imy.... thats just apologistic and optimistic.

No it's not really Tris. Your prejudice is clouding your memory and your perception. Name another performance under Kean as good as the one against Lpool? (There isn't one btw.) There was a good away win at WBA down to an average performance but everything else has been poor to downright awful. Alternatively try to remember the performance against Chelsea 2 months ago and tell me that that was rubbish too. But for two appalling late misses by Diouff and Roberts we'd have beaten them and deserved it and had that warm feeling as we trotted home. Rem they were top of the table then and not lurking dispirited in the bottom third with a dead man walking for a manager.

Great performance though it was against Liverpool lets please remember that one swallow does not make a summer.

There were also 2 defensive lapses in the Chelsea game that led to our loss, but Allardyce very rarely highlighted lapses.

We were excellent for 70 minutes against Liverpool, but the subs did not seem to be done in a logical order, contributing to the very nervy ending.

We didn't win 3-1 because of our excellence. We won by that score because Gerrard missed a penalty-I don't know his ratio of converting penalties but as he stepped up to test our goalkeeper making his Premier League debut, I was sure he would score. He didn't, as we all know. If he had scored there would have been enormous pressure on us. Would we have withstood it? I wouldn't have put money on it.

And we conceded the penalty because we were naive in our defending.

So both managers had good and bad elements in the 2 matches highlighted.

Id call it realistic. The Liverpool game was the watershed game for me, I can see how Kean wants to play and how effective it can be. Olsson and Hoilett on the wings supplying RSC, with a midfield destroyer in Jones sitting in midfield, is an exciting thought for the rest of the season. Oh and by nature I am an optimist :)

Archived