BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Sam for Burnley

I just think it's great that Burnley fans are purring over our ex-manager! They're on their hands and knees!

"Oh, we love you, big sam, mwah, mwah, mwah"

To be honest, I really can't see it. Surely Big Sam isn't desperate enough to put his whole reputation on the line. If he doesn't take them up, he's finished in the premiership for good.

Also, who's to say he would take them up? The dingles aren't built to be a tough, combative unit which is partly why they're struggling down there. All their better players are midfielders who would be totally isolated in Sam's approach. He would need time and money to turn it around, both of which he wouldn't be given due to his ties with Rovers and the fact that Kilby is a modern day Scrooge.

I honestly think he would struggle to take them up over two years of parachute payments to come.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it's great that Burnley fans are purring over our ex-manager! They're on their hands and knees!

"Oh, we love you, big sam, mwah, mwah, mwah"

To be honest, I really can't see it. Surely Big Sam isn't desperate enough to put his whole reputation on the line. If he doesn't take them up, he's finished in the premiership for good.

Also, who's to say he would take them up? The dingles aren't built to be a tough, combative unit which is partly why they're struggling down there. All their better players are midfielders who would be totally isolated in Sam's approach. He would need time and money to turn it around, both of which he wouldn't be given due to his ties with Rovers and the fact that Kilby is a modern day Scrooge.

I honestly think he would struggle to take them up over two years of parachute payments to come.

I think they are two defenders away from being a real contender, they have a decent keeper now and I fancy Big Sam to get a real game out of Patterson, he's a Sam type player!!

The surest sign that nicko has been rumbled is when he starts getting abusive.

Why don't you just link to the article that you claim talk about Kentaro rather than trying to give Nicko stick again? Your rants about Kentaro / Andreson / Nicko are becoming very tedious to read. I'm sure we're all worried about the Kentaro link, but we might as well give Venky's a chance and wait till end of January to see what we are going to get in.

I seem to recall the article was about Shearer for the job as Nicko wrote above as well.

Yes.

The call went in yesterday from his camp to establish two things.

1...is the job taken?

2...would they be interested?

The answer to 1 is no. Alexander will probably be in charge while they talk to people. Brown is trying to get people to put in a good word, so he isn't over the line. O'Driscoll reckons he could get something that suits him more.

The answer to 2 is down to the Burnley board. I don't know what the politics of the board is these days. You have Flood, Kilby and a couple of newbies.

If they have the bottle, then it really is a perfect fit.

Somebody point out yesterday that Sam has been at Bolton, Preston, Blackpool and Rovers. There should not be any 'prejudice' issues around.

There isn't a better manager to take them up.

Nugget.

I warned people putting bets on O'Driscoll on the morning of the interview - when Sky Sports News reported it - that they should be careful and not waste their money.

The reasoning - before the interview - was that he is quiet, studious chap and there was every chance of the thing going wrong.

Funnily enough, it did.

Laws got the call after O'Driscoll pulled out.

Keep up.

Not yet.

Name calling - a SJA awaits! I'm not the first to point out you have more faces than a town hall clock - but I suppose that's in the gossip columnist's person spec. You've vested interests with those concerned I suppose, doesn't help to bite the hands that feed etc. Finesse it however you like, you've re-written.

Name calling - a SJA awaits! I'm not the first to point out you have more faces than a town hall clock - but I suppose that's in the gossip columnist's person spec. You've vested interests with those concerned I suppose, doesn't help to bite the hands that feed etc. Finesse it however you like, you've re-written.

If I knew what that meant I would answer it.

Nicko, would you say Phil brown was worth putting a shilling on for North end job?

Brownie is chasing the Burnley job, which is a better job than Preston. So that tells you something.

Preston can't get the guy they want - Paul Jewell - and are looking around for someone else in a hurry.

Remember that both Burnley and Preston only sacked their managers after results at the start of the week.

There has been nothing lined up in advance. They both just had to pull the trigger.

So, I wouldn't risk a shilling on either right now.

You joined in 2002 and you've posted 65 times in the entire period! By that measure your recent postings amount to an epidemic.

If you don't like what Nicko writes, put him on ignore. Is your intention to p*** him off and then go back to sleep?

Because, if it is, you are annoying those of us who do appreciate Nicko's posts for your own selfish reasons.

I think they are two defenders away from being a real contender, they have a decent keeper now and I fancy Big Sam to get a real game out of Patterson, he's a Sam type player!!

Hmmmm...I don't know. I'd say they were far too lightweight in comparison to other championship sides to make an automatic spot. Okay, I would say possibly the play offs but that would be the same chance as with any manager.

They're missing an outstanding individual to really spearhead the team. Not one player in that squad is of mid-table premiership quality and most wouldn't get into a bottom ten premiership team. As for the keeper, he's not that good. Don't forget all the goals he conceded which nearly got Sheff Weds relegated a year ago.

As for Patterson - he's in shocking form and hit his peak in the promotion season. There's not much left in him which is why Laws and even Coyle consistently left him out of the team.

Burnley have had their time amongst the elite and whoever they get to take over managerial duties, they'll struggle to make the play-offs especially considering there is absolutely nothing to spend there. A club on the slide for me.

You joined in 2002 and you've posted 65 times in the entire period! By that measure your recent postings amount to an epidemic.

If you don't like what Nicko writes, put him on ignore. Is your intention to p*** him off and then go back to sleep?

Because, if it is, you are annoying those of us who do appreciate Nicko's posts for your own selfish reasons.

No doubt this will be the point where you get accused of being a `nickoteen` (not aimed at you uburoi) :rolleyes:

Surely people can appreciate that things can change very quickly in football? so what may be true one minute can be totally changed the next.

Either people accept what Alan says and believe it or if you think he is talking codswallop,choose to ignore it.Very simple really i would have thought. :blink:

Yes.

The call went in yesterday from his camp to establish two things.

1...is the job taken?

2...would they be interested?

I find it quite amusing, just a few short weeks ago Sam was bragging about how he can manage the top European temas, next thing he has his people on the phone essentially begging for a job at the Dingles. It is Nicko it is a "perfect fit"

yes.

btw

I quote...

Nicko

Posted 12 January 2010 - 15:26 PM

O'Driscoll and Laws BOTH being interviewed today.

O'Driscoll thinks he has got it and told the Doncaster people he was off.

However Laws will be in there shortly.

yes.

btw

I quote...

Nicko

which suggest nicko didnt think he would get it

I quote...

Nicko

Thanks for reminding me of how perceptive that was.

The fact you took the time to find it is also rather revealing.

Is there a stalker alert button I can press?

I don't want Sam - not my type of football - but I imagine most Burnley fans would be secretly delighted if this happened. I'm slightly surprised he's interested to be honest.

In terms of S O'D - Nicko defintely advised against backing him.

Who would be your favourite for the job?

Who would be your favourite for the job?

Not sure they are interested or even that we are because I don't kow but I'd like us to try for somebody like maybe Howe or McInnes. Always a double risk because they either fail or they succeed spectacularly like Coyle and up sticks at the first chance (that said I'm sort of hoping Liverpool might have an eye on an exit for Roy and an entrance for Coyley) but I'd take that, however it ended the 2 years under Coyle were just awesome.

What I don't want is a second rater like Brown - if thats the route and Sam is genuinley keen then lets do the deal.

Not sure they are interested or even that we are because I don't kow but I'd like us to try for somebody like maybe Howe or McInnes. Always a double risk because they either fail or they succeed spectacularly like Coyle and up sticks at the first chance (that said I'm sort of hoping Liverpool might have an eye on an exit for Roy and an entrance for Coyley) but I'd take that, however it ended the 2 years under Coyle were just awesome.

What I don't want is a second rater like Brown - if thats the route and Sam is genuinley keen then lets do the deal.

McInnes has more or less carried on the same job Coyle did at St Johnstone, he could be a good shout for you. Then again that may be a bit like expecting lightning to strike the same place twice.

Thanks for reminding me of how perceptive that was.

The fact you took the time to find it is also rather revealing.

Is there a stalker alert button I can press?

You've also said on this thread that O'Driscoll knocked Burnley back.

So which is it?

Did he tell Doncaster he was off or did he knock Burnley back?

Or is it a case of you trying to cover every base then claiming you got it correct? ;)

Archived