BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba Reinstated as Captain

Valois

Went on a little search to find the article in L'Equipe and wasn't surprised with my findings.

If people are wondering where the English papers got their quotes from, try running the article located here in Google Translator.

Clearly it's nothing but assumptions made from a ridiculous translation obtained through an online translator.

At the bottom of the article, it states this (according to translator):

Accuracy: When Christopher Samba says that it "does not want to waste time," the defender intends to show his impatience towards the owners of the club which he knows the plans. "In any case I forget what I owe to Blackburn. If I am here today because of him. For the rest, it's true that I aspire to work in a bigger club. But like all players, I think. "

He's basically saying: "I owe a lot to Blackburn and I am here today because of them. It's true that I aspire to work in a bigger club and like all players I have to consider my options."

There's also another comment that wasn't printed in the English media, not sure what to make of it exactly.

However, the former Sedan player and Hertha Berlin ensures that there is still no "rupture" with his club. Because "a leader is the first by voice and it shows on the field," the episode of the cuff was rapidly digested. If he had said publicly that he wanted to stay, he even asserted that he could have it back. No, if Samba has decided to delay it because her coach has promised a competitive team would be mounted. Forcing to recruit Ronaldinho part in that.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's look at what the LT are reporting that Samba actually said,

”This is my fifth season here. I’ve had ups and downs but today I don’t want to waste any more time, New owners have arrived, they have fired the coach when he saved us from relegation two years ago."

”The least they could have done is come to us and explain their project.

”They haven’t done that, it’s a lack of respect. I don’t want to be part of it.” ”He (Kean) told me had resources to build a good team. We’ll see,” Samba told L’Equipe.

”Today I want to go higher and I wonder if Blackburn can take me there. I’ll take time to think.”

All the Telegraph has done is lift this article from another newspaper.

Samba starts off by saying he doesn't want to waste any more time (None of us do Chris)

That Sam saved us from relegation two years ago (yep job done 2 years ago, but what since then?)

That the new owners have shown a lack of respect as they haven't explained their project to him and he doesn't want to be a part of it.

However in the next quote Samba says that he HAS been told that Kean has the resources to build a good team, and that "we'll see".

Ah the enigmatic "we'll see" .... how many different interpretations could be applied to this utterance??!!

He then finishes with ”Today I want to go higher and I wonder if Blackburn can take me there. I’ll take time to think.”

Good for Chris that he wants to go higher - that's what we all want.

I'm glad that he's going to take the time to think.

If he goes to anybody else other than a top four club then he will not be going higher.

Given the recent statement of intent from Venky's, which other premier league clubs have the drive to match Rovers at present?

The very real danger is that Samba may well be deserting a rising ship - not a sinking one - and will end up like Santa Cruz, Friedel, Bentley or Warnock.

I think this much might be obvious. Samba fancies a move "upwards". His agents fancy a move "anywhere" because they will get a pay day. Thus his agents are being particularly "noisy" amid the uncertainty and Chris doesn't feel he needs to discourage them at the minute in case said upward move materialises. Thus all the quotes about 'I'd like to move to a big club but I'm committed for the time being'

However, given that the only seemingly interested bidder at present appears to be Villa whom appear to be in somewhat choppy waters themselves I don't think he'll actually move this window. Houllier might end up going somewhere before he does. A win at home tonight and a defeat for Villa might put enough water between the two clubs in order to put it bed for a few months or so.

In the summer, the development of Jones and Hanley combined with Nelson sticking around to guide their development might make a mutually agreeable arrangement quite attractive. For the time being, I'd rather he stopped around.

Can't say I've got a big problem with the lad at the minute either way. I think my employers are bobbins most of the time too.

I'd be very very suprised if Warnock, Roque, Bentley, McCarthy, Neill and Bellamy were not all financially better off for leaving here. Even Bentley who supposedly left for less money will have stuck a huge signing on fee / loyalty bonus into the deal I'm sure.

Lets cut out the churlish comment, take off the blue and white specs and try to view this using common sense and maturity. No one knows who may be offering him work and how for much so why all the sniping?

Samba is a big player for us and not just in the physical sense. He has come on in leaps and bounds since he came, he is at his peak and if he is to progress he needs to be at a club with stability and direction. I'm sure his agent will be fielding lots of enquiries over the phone since Venkeys took over, fired the manager and plunged the club into confusion and chaos. And if I was his agent then in the best interests of the player and myself I'd be keen on him taking another step forward or upwards.

anyone think samba will get booed tonight after todays article in the LT?

I hope not. I read the comments under that article and I'm pretty dismayed. Surely newspapers shouldn't be allowed to get away with publishing misquoted garbage to the public?

It's ironic people say Samba is destabilising the club, surely booing our best player at a time when our squad is in serious trouble isn't any better?

I met Samba when I was in Sydney, he genuinely cares for the club and its fans, people that have been slagging him off for the past few weeks disgust me. Whatever people think of his desire to leave, the notion that Samba has any disrespect for the club, or that he's using the situation at the club to his own advantage is just plain wrong.

At this moment, Rovers fans shouldn't be united in their hate for Samba, Kean or the owners, but in the hate for the circus created by the media since Sam's sacking, which has been deplorable.

I urge anyone that has the opportunity to be at the game to make a lot of noise and get behind the players, our manager and our owners and help this club to a glorious win against a faltering Liverpool side and not make embarassing and futile protests or shows of displeasure at targetted individuals currently at the club.

anyone think samba will get booed tonight after todays article in the LT?

He may do, but it's a bit counter productive, we want to stand a chance in this match not put our players off bothering. Just because Chris isn't showing much sense doesn't mean others have to prove they don't have any. <_<

People have to understand that Samba is not a Rovers fan, and has no reason to be overly affectionate for the club.

Couple that with an agent who will have been in his ear for months, no doubt talking to other clubs about signing Samba, and paying a big wage and signing on fee, then you can understand why he is after a move.

We have seen enough evidence of this happening in the past for us to be ranting on about it i.e. Neill, RSC, Bentley.

Maybe the football isn't always better, but I imgaine the wage packet would some what soften any blows :rolleyes:

Gotta say that I never really understood why he was made captain in the first place. Nelsen to me has all the qualities of a captain (He is the Admiral after all) and as long as he plays most games I don't see why anyone else should wear the armband.

I urge anyone that has the opportunity to be at the game to make a lot of noise and get behind the players, our manager and our owners and help this club to a glorious win against a faltering Liverpool side and not make embarassing and futile protests or shows of displeasure at targetted individuals currently at the club.

Well said.

Cheer this lad up keano.. Was awesome for us today although he did look like he was sulking a bit.. But seriously cheer this kid up because hes a class defender!!

Seeing celebrate the first and second goals did not make me believe he's desperately seeking a way out. He must have run up to the guys from the defense for that, and those were big smiles.

• Backroom

Samba ran over to Kean and gave him a hug at 3-0/

Wondered why nobody had mentioned this! Seemed a very strange thing to do after his comments yesterday, maybe Keano has talked him round again?! :brfcsmilie:

If Samba really wants to make a sideways-at-best step to Villa for a few more readies then that's his decision to make. If he really wants to progress *upwards* he'll stick around, secure a new deal and see what's what.

Hard to feel any resentment towards him for having a problem with the owners communication. It's been bobbins.

But even looking at this logically, from the point of view of a mercenary footballer hell bent on a pay day, jumping to pastures new with Houllier is not without it's risks. He'll be able to ask his chums Bentley & Warnock how that's worked out should he desire.

If he's got his head screwed on and still wants to leave, he'll do it in the summer. In the meantime, I've no reason to doubt he'll make the best of things on the pitch here.

Wondered why nobody had mentioned this! Seemed a very strange thing to do after his comments yesterday, maybe Keano has talked him round again?! :brfcsmilie:

BECAUSE HE DOES NOT WANT TO LEAVE

Obviously people have ignored my posts, but it's obvious that the articles published by English media are virtually fabricated and based on misinterpreted quotes. Everything from pronouns to tense weren't translated properly.

His comments to L'Equipe were very respectful to Rovers, he does NOT want out.

Keep hold of him now and move on. Losing Samba is counter-productive to what we want to achieve.

Archived