BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering had we beat Sunderland - would Jim have set up a European qualification thread?? I think we all know the answer to that one :rolleyes:

Hughesy, half the division are in this relegation battle and the suggest that the Rovers are immune from relegation is crazy. That "too good to go down" rubbish was spouted throughout the 65-66 campaign and following relegation we were out of the top flight for a quarter of a century. Our Premier League survial is vital for the whole future of the club and to simply gloss over the obvious dangers shows a distinct lack of understanding of the situation the club are in.

I agree, our decimated squad were always up against it Sunderland, but the performance was dire - on a par with the West Ham and Stoke games. The need for new blood is obvious, but new players, particularly if they have no previous Premier League experience, will take time to bed in. Jim is absolutely right. We are in a relegation battle - with about twelve other clubs - and so every point is going to be vital if we are to be successful. Once we get to 40 points we can start looking at the top ten, until then I'd be happy to take anything outside of the bottom three.

Hughesy, half the division are in this relegation battle and the suggest that the Rovers are immune from relegation is crazy. That "too good to go down" rubbish was spouted throughout the 65-66 campaign and following relegation we were out of the top flight for a quarter of a century. Our Premier League survial is vital for the whole future of the club and to simply gloss over the obvious dangers shows a distinct lack of understanding of the situation the club are in.

I agree, our decimated squad were always up against it Sunderland, but the performance was dire - on a par with the West Ham and Stoke games. The need for new blood is obvious, but new players, particularly if they have no previous Premier League experience, will take time to bed in. Jim is absolutely right. We are in a relegation battle - with about twelve other clubs - and so every point is going to be vital if we are to be successful. Once we get to 40 points we can start looking at the top ten, until then I'd be happy to take anything outside of the bottom three.

The point is, we were in the relegation battle from the start of the season. Regardless of the manager. A few injuries or suspensions would always have seen us in the mire. I don't think anyone thinks we're too good to go down but this is just a thread designed to get those who love being drama queens anguishing over every setback. We always needed new players - we did under Hughes who got tired of trying to find players for peanuts, under Ince, who squandered a fair bit on Grella, and under Allardyce. We have flirted with relegation at some point in every season since promotion. This season it looks a bit more likely than others but it's a bit early to start running around like Corporal Jones.

The point is, we were in the relegation battle from the start of the season. Regardless of the manager. A few injuries or suspensions would always have seen us in the mire. I don't think anyone thinks we're too good to go down but this is just a thread designed to get those who love being drama queens anguishing over every setback. We always needed new players - we did under Hughes who got tired of trying to find players for peanuts, under Ince, who squandered a fair bit on Grella, and under Allardyce. We have flirted with relegation at some point in every season since promotion. This season it looks a bit more likely than others but it's a bit early to start running around like Corporal Jones.

Doubtless you'd prefer Private Fraser's calmer approach! :xmas:

This season it looks a bit more likely than others but it's a bit early to start running around like Corporal Jones.

I agree it's not the time to panic, but it's also not the time to bury your head in the sand and say it might never happen - which was my point to Hughesy's post. Over half the division are in a relegation battle at this moment in time. In the last few years, 36/37 points have been sufficient to ensure safety. However, I think I agree with Ricky that 40 points may not be enough.

There is no point looking back with regard to Sam, while I always thought he would ensure Premier League survival, the fact is we are now under new management. If Kean is to keep the club afloat at this level, Venkys are going to have to back him with some serious cash. While their ultimate aim might be to challenge for Europe, the present position requires a few experienced Premier League battlers who know what this division is all about. My fear is that we bring in two or three players from abroad who will take time to adjust to life in the Premier League. Sadly, with the way the League is this season, time is the one thing that no club can afford to give to new signings.

Just wondering had we beat Sunderland - would Jim have set up a European qualification thread?? I think we all know the answer to that one :rolleyes:

Hughesy we Rovers currently have one of the worst teams in the premier league and with a new novice manager lets not kid ourselves here its the transfer window thats going to hopefully save us.

There will be a relegation battle and a big one this year.

All teams up to 8th can be involved.

At present I think Wolves and Newcastle are free falling + west brom have had some bad results lately.

Wigan will possibly scrape a win against Newcastle today.

Hope they go down again!

So we're 11th. 5 points from 6th and 6 points from 18th.

This thread has probably arrived 2 months too early, IF a relegation battle does actually happen :wacko:

we have also played more games than any team below us bar West Ham, but hey. Whatever suits your argument...

Think 40 points could be still in the bottom 3 this season. It's so tight from 8th down to the bottom. A good run pulls you clear whereas a bad run puts you right in the mire.

A neutral would surely say that this is the best Premiership season in it's history.

The point is, we were in the relegation battle from the start of the season. Regardless of the manager. A few injuries or suspensions would always have seen us in the mire.

Remarkable how we had so few injuries under Sam and the roof has caved in on Kean in just under a month. Bonaparte's 'Lucky General' perhaps?

So we're 11th. 5 points from 6th and 6 points from 18th.

This thread has probably arrived 2 months too early, IF a relegation battle does actually happen :wacko:

By which time it's proably too late to bother.

A neutral would surely say that this is the best Premiership season in it's history.

Remarkable how we had so few injuries under Sam and the roof has caved in on Kean in just under a month. Bonaparte's 'Lucky General' perhaps?

Agree, it's been a fantastic season for the prem this year with all teams dropping points, even the big 3. However, this will be of scant consolation if rovers are relegated.

With all teams dropping points, I agree with those saying 40 might not be enough - which is worrying in the extreme. Having said that the flip side is you'll probably need fewer points than usual to get into europe as well, this year. Still, some mid table mediocracy at rovers would really sooth the nerves, as I believe our current position is a tad flattering thanks to the number of extra games that we have played.

This could be news for Venkys - did they realise the bottom three get relegated automatically ? I've got the feeling they thought it was a franchise.

Wait till she finds out what happens to the revenues when your relegated... bet Jerome didn't tell her that.

Any team outside the top 6 or 7 could go down this season. We got a good win against WBA - who were then very unlucky to get beat by Man Utd - its all topsy turvy.

One thing to ponder - it is obvious the only way Sam would have stayed is if we were still owned by the Trust. Given our previous transfer windows - which is the better chance of staying up - Sam with no money and an injury ravaged squad or Kean with (hopefully) a reported £10m to spend this January ?

IMO I don't follow some peoples theories that we would have beaten Stoke and West Ham if Sam had still been in charge.

Personally (without wishing to tempt fate) - I think we should stay up - but I would imagine things will look bleak before they get better.

Absolutely spot on gumboots.

IF Sam was still in charge and we'd had the same injury situation and were in the same position as we are now the same people flapping now would be pointing out we're only five points from 6th or whatever it is.

Absolutely spot on gumboots.

IF Sam was still in charge and we'd had the same injury situation and were in the same position as we are now the same people flapping now would be pointing out we're only five points from 6th or whatever it is.

But people would know that in Sam we had a manager who had consistently taken his sides up the table and got them out of trouble throughout his career. Pointing out we were a few points from 6th would be a fair point since we had a man who was always much more likely to take us to upper mid table than the relegation zone.

Now we have an inexperienced manager and so people can't help but look down because when you have someone who's never managed before, that's always the more likely outcome.

Will we go down? I don't think so despite during the WHU game thinking to myself this team has relegation written through it. Most fans would have been happier if we'd gained nine points in December instead of the seven we got and failing to beat WHU is now looking even more expensive. If we can take four points from Liverpool and WBA in January that would leave us with 29 points from 24 matches and needing at least 11 points from the last 14 games. Looking at our fixtures if we can't take 11 points out of a potential 42 the manager should be sacked and the club owners held 100% responsible for the situation. Wigan (A), Newcastle(H), Blackpool(H), Birmingham (H), and Bolton (H) are games we could reasonably expect to win and the away games at Villa, Fulham, WHU and Wolves should gain perhaps 3 or 4 points. If Rovers can't take 11-12 points from these nine games you have to ask if we deserve to survive.

January is an important month in two ways, four points from Liverpool and WBA is very, very important. Winning those two games would make things look very much better. Then we have the whole transfer situation. Every imaginable scenario has appeared in the press or on here. Personally I do not believe Venky's / Rao's have the money to fund the transfers we need and until any new players begin performing on the pitch I shall maintain that view. The most likley outcome is we will "strengthen" the squad by buying / loaning a few players who will send the bulk of fans desperately searching the web for positives about them. I don't believe Venky's / Raos are capable of truely strengthening the side (i.e. bring in better players) and the season outcome will depend on the manager's ability to squeeze another 16 - 17 points out of the remaining 17 matches. If he can't manage that there's only one way Kean will go.

I would of said no chance on us going down.. but when a club is in freefall panic tends too start too set in, 4 points from 12 and 3 (Spuds, chelski and Pool) out of our next 4 games looking unwinable given our current squad/injuries/suspensions I am starting too get worried.

End of Jan and end of March are our two key moments, first for signings and second for position because if we are in bottom 3 come that point I cant see us getting out of it given our run in.

I would of said no chance on us going down.. but when a club is in freefall panic tends too start too set in, 4 points from 12 and 3 (Spuds, chelski and Pool) out of our next 4 games looking unwinable given our current squad/injuries/suspensions I am starting too get worried.

End of Jan and end of March are our two key moments, first for signings and second for position because if we are in bottom 3 come that point I cant see us getting out of it given our run in.

I've never suggested we shouldn't be worried. I've been worried since we did nothing in the summer, and probably since at least a year before that since our transfer activity was gradually drying up and we seemed to be going nowhere whilst all around spent something on replacing players and bringing in some fresh faces that actually made a difference to their first team. However, panic improves nothing. If, after the transfer window, we are not in a better position with regard to having brought decnet players in, then it might be time to start panicking as there will be little else to do, but until then, stay calm and cross fingers, toes and anything else you can.

Liverpools away record is awful:

W D L

1 2 6

We maybe able to get something as long as we get amongst them quickly and start well. Chelsea away well really anything from that even with our 1st 11 would be a bonus. Tottenham at home will be tough but you'd have to hope we have players in by the time they arrive and who knows who they could be.

We only need 15 points, 40 should be just enough this year but its imperative we get the win against WBA. I'd be happy enough with 4-5, preferably 5 from those games but with some quality signings you could hope for more. People are forgetting we have a nice few games in feb that are all games in which we stand a good chance of getting some 3 pointers:

Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Blackburn v Tottenham, 20:00

Saturday, 5 February 2011

Wigan v Blackburn, 15:00

Saturday, 12 February 2011

Blackburn v Newcastle, 15:00

Saturday, 26 February 2011

Aston Villa v Blackburn, 15:00

Saturday, 5 March 2011

Fulham v Blackburn, 15:00

Saturday, 19 March 2011

Blackburn v Blackpool, 15:00

Saturday, 2 April 2011

Arsenal v Blackburn, 15:00

Saturday, 9 April 2011

Blackburn v Birmingham, 15:00

Saturday, 16 April 2011

Everton v Blackburn, 15:00

Saturday, 23 April 2011

Blackburn v Man City, 15:00

Saturday, 30 April 2011

Blackburn v Bolton, 15:00

Saturday, 7 May 2011

West Ham v Blackburn, 15:00

Saturday, 14 May 2011

Blackburn v Man Utd, 15:00

Sunday, 22 May 2011

Wolverhampton v Blackburn, 16:00

We have more than enough games left in our fixtures that are winnable to get the points we need.

Hughesy we Rovers currently have one of the worst teams in the premier league and with a new novice manager lets not kid ourselves here its the transfer window thats going to hopefully save us.

So the table lies? We are 4pts up on this point last season...with money to spend to strengthen and not in the bottom 3.....I think your view is somewhat biased to fit your arguement.

So the table lies? We are 4pts up on this point last season...with money to spend to strengthen and not in the bottom 3.....I think your view is somewhat biased to fit your arguement.

This squad IS one of the worst in the league, fantastic management from Allardce ensured we progressed year on year, not the quality of the players. Make no mistake, without decent reinforcements this month we are in for a hard slog.

Archived