BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cars

Oh yes please. What have you got John? I'm busy saving for one but the good lady is decorating faster than I can save!! :(

I've got a tourer from Paul Hewitt in Leyland. I imagine you do know of him at least Paul, but for others he is probably the best wheel maker in the country. He has an Olympic 2004 winners shirt framed in his shop, with a note on it which says " Paul - thanks for the wheels - Bradley". And he's only two miles down the road from me.

I am by no means an expert or a very serious cyclist but I want to do a lot more steady touring and needed something proper to do it on. It is truly wonderful and really enhanced by having Paul measure me properly and get the perfect riding position. I could not believe how much difference it makes and it's worth £50 of any serious cyclist's money even if you don't buy a bike from him.

I have the same issue at home although in my case I can't complain too much as she's the main bread winner!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a tourer from Paul Hewitt in Leyland. I imagine you do know of him at least Paul, but for others he is probably the best wheel maker in the country.

Without doubt the best wheel builder in the country. Cyclists travel from far and wide to be measured and fitted on their bikes by Paul Hewitt. The difference it makes is astonishing.

, we have an Alfa Romeo 147 Lusso- Great car - touches lots of wood.

I used to have an Alfa 164. Lovely car, more toys than Hamleys, went like a rocket (in a straight line, it cornered like the Queen Mary) and felt a real touch of luxury, I still miss it. The only downside it was a typical Alfa and cost a fortune to keep on the road.

As Clarkson once said, nobody can call themselves a car enthusiast until they've owned an Alfa. But nobody with any common sense would ever buy a second one.

Just got a corsa, my first car. Anyone know of places to park around Blackburn town centre that dont cost? As I either do 4 hour shifts so cant park at the cinema or 9 hour shifts so get wacked with maximum expense on the mall car park.

Cheers

CMB,

You'll be lucky to find anywhere. And if someone on here knows of anywhere they would be daft to post it here. In common with most towns & cities Blackburn has parking charges in all the town centre locations. Depending on where you live & commute you may find it cheaper to get public transport to work. If you are doing a longer journey, and you are fit & able, you could try parking away from the centre & doing that 10 - 15 minute walk to work.

I've had 2 Alfas also. The only car that matches them for smiles pre gallon is the MINI Cooper S. I have two. One is a highly modifies tintop and the other a Cabrio in Blue with White stripes .....

5k hatchback.... MINI

• 1 month later...

My wife, who wanted a short commute / run around, got a Fiat 500 Pop which after 18 months is still proving to be a great little car. Dirt cheap to run, very low insurance, servicing, RFT and fuel seems to be rasonable for a vehicle which does a lot of short journeys. I have to admit to scoffing when I was told we were going to look at Fiats but having seen the cars performance and the pleasure my wife gets from owning it I would say the Fiat 500 is very highly recommended. The only drawback is acceleration is not great but this is 1.2 engine!! As my wife says it's a car that makes people smile, something else I scoffed at till I saw passersby react to it.

Paul - any idea what fuel consumption Mrs Paul is getting from the Fiat? Also, if it does ever get to the motorway, what's it like for noise and ride?

Cheers in advance.

Unrelated question - anyone (outside of Gisburn) own a Renault Megane Coupe? If so, what do you think?

Paul - any idea what fuel consumption Mrs Paul is getting from the Fiat? Also, if it does ever get to the motorway, what's it like for noise and ride?

Cheers in advance.

Unrelated question - anyone (outside of Gisburn) own a Renault Megane Coupe? If so, what do you think?

A tankful every 7-10 days is as good as it gets. The Fiat spends quite a lot of time on the M65/61/6 in our general area. Noise and ride are quite acceptable for a small car but for distance I'd want something bigger unless it's just the very occassional journey. Takes a while to reach 70mph and can get buffeted in strong side winds - no weight at all.

Time to resurrect this, because not only does my new job afford me the time and freedom to work on the site, but it also comes with a healthy car allowance.

So after 4 attempts to get the local dealer-group to sell me what I wanted (they had no interest in that and only wanted to sell me what they had in stock, not a factory build) I went a little further afield and no on Saturday I'll be picking up an Mercedes A160 Sport Exec. I've never had a Merc before, but when it works out no more expensive the a similarly specced Leon or Focus, it seems silly not to.

Just now, Glenn said:

Time to resurrect this, because not only does my new job afford me the time and freedom to work on the site, but it also comes with a healthy car allowance.

So after 4 attempts to get the local dealer-group to sell me what I wanted (they had no interest in that and only wanted to sell me what they had in stock, not a factory build) I went a little further afield and no on Saturday I'll be picking up an Mercedes A160 Sport Exec. I've never had a Merc before, but when it works out no more expensive the a similarly specced Leon or Focus, it seems silly not to.

Have you driven one?

• Backroom

We've got an A class and we love it, feels and looks like a true Merc whilst being a bit more affordable. Think I'll look into the GLA next time.

Had a jeep until recently, wife hated it but I loved it, electrics were playing up though and rather than risk the hefty bill when they went for good I had to cut my losses.

Good job on getting the car you wanted @Glenn and not giving into hasty temptation. I noticed your struggles with it on Twitter!

I had a Mazda RX8 a couple of years ago and it died a death. Some pipes corroded and it would've cost more than it was worth to get it all repaired. For the nine months I had it, I adored it. Suffice it to say that it was not a commuting car!

I now have a C3 Picasso. :( I'm also now a left-hand driver. And I have right-hand car hire to look forward to in June. :o:wacko:

7 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I've driven several A180. It seems that A160s are tough to come by.

Good I'm glad to hear that, no surprises when it arrives.

From my perspective I was chucked the keys to one recently and gave it back within a week, awful car, terrible ride, rattled, I could go on.

They look nice and the cabins superb but thats as good as it got for me.

I've heard they rattle and suffer from wind noise at high speed, but I specifically chose it for my commute, which is why I went heavy on comfort and toys and tiny engine, if I'd have been doing motorway miles, I'd probably have chosen very different.

I am still keeping the Lancer for when I need some muscle, it may be old now, but I still love it. If Mitsubishi was still making them, I'd have had another in a heartbeat 

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

I've heard they rattle and suffer from wind noise at high speed, but I specifically chose it for my commute, which is why I went heavy on comfort and toys and tiny engine, if I'd have been doing motorway miles, I'd probably have chosen very different.

I am still keeping the Lancer for when I need some muscle, it may be old now, but I still love it. If Mitsubishi was still making them, I'd have had another in a heartbeat 

Yes stay away from the motorway at all costs!

As for the Lancer, we could discuss them all day, I never had one, went with Subaru back in the 90's, nothing much between them I heard, but old and sensible now so an electric motor next if the Mrs gets her way.....

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

They are, well you can get them here, saw a couple at a mitsubishi dealers the other day when I was looking at the ASX

Edit Link : https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/lancer

The ASX is the closest you can get over here and frankly if I wanted something like that it's get an Outlander, not something that would struggle on a grass verge ;) . There have been rumors of the Evo brand being relaunched as a hybrid / fully electric for years now .... maybe next year

36 minutes ago, Glenn said:

The ASX is the closest you can get over here and frankly if I wanted something like that it's get an Outlander, not something that would struggle on a grass verge ;) . There have been rumors of the Evo brand being relaunched as a hybrid / fully electric for years now .... maybe next year

Looked at the outlander as well while there-  Got that generic look that a lot of SUV's have, poor practical cargo space (for what I want it for) as a result

Heard the same (as the quote from your post) before buying the Yeti 4x4 and actually took one for a test drive out in the bush, salesman must have been desperate for a sale :) . Had it for 5 years,  not had any problems off the beaten track with it, granted not total off roading (like to keep 4 wheels on the ground where possible :)) but quite a bit of bush /dirt track driving. 

BTW just did a search on the one your getting , nice looking car not seen one before that I know of.

Archived