BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cars

Interested by the comment that Diesels arent selling well now. I know they are now been portrayed as the devil's work and car tax and fuel at slightly more but i got mine 8 years ago on fuel economy basis only.

A tank of diesel costs me about £70 at the moment and doing motorway miles I can get about 750miles out of it.  Do newer petrol cars get anywhere near that? 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Biddy said:

Interested by the comment that Diesels arent selling well now. I know they are now been portrayed as the devil's work and car tax and fuel at slightly more but i got mine 8 years ago on fuel economy basis only.

A tank of diesel costs me about £70 at the moment and doing motorway miles I can get about 750miles out of it.  Do newer petrol cars get anywhere near that? 

Interestingly I was in my local Skoda dealer yesterday thinking about replacing my car. The salesman was saying that they are selling lots of diesels but I'm not sure that I believe him given the recent bad publicity.

Whilst you're not going to get a petrol car to give you the same fuel economy you do have to bear in mind that it's likely second hand values for diesel cars will start falling soon. Maybe not much of a problem for you if your car is 8 years old as most depreciation will have gone now.

For economy and lower excise duty you would need to move to electric or hybrid cars, but they have high initial costs and distance restrictions with the former - not much use if you do a lot of motorway driving. I'm waiting to see what the new plug-in hybrid Hyundai Ioniq will be like but it's not out until later in the year.

Archived