BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Digest And Links (January 2011)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Guest Wen Y Hu

The mid-season transfer window is now open, so here is the transfer digest and links thread for the January transfer window. In addition to the daily digests, please post any transfer-related links in this thread, indicating the source of the story along with the date and, preferably, a brief description of the nature of the link.

As a reminder, this thread is not for discussion or comment: please use the Transfer Window Thread or other pertinent threads for such purposes.

To get the thread underway, here is a digest of some key transfer-related posts on the Transfer Window Thread covering the period from the opening of the transfer window at midnight on Saturday, 1 January up to 15:00 this afternoon.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to that thread - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

One or two minor updates.

BA...Hoffenheim sacked their manager tonight...but they are also selling two players and don't need the cash...the price is ridiculous...£7 million or so...time to move on.

ROMEU...Aston Villa think he is joining them on Monday...they are back on for him because French kid Fofana knocked them back...told he is on the Rovers list but as an alternative to somebody...hope they get that somebody then...shame to lose him for nowt.

SAMBA...Villa recalling Dunne tomorrow...very odd...think they will increase 'offer' for Samba soon after...as long as Houllier survives.

News then emerged that our owners had been suggesting on their facebook and twitter pages that Brazilian international Ronaldinho was a target.

Ronny has been offered around because his brother wants a £1.2 million fee for moving him to either Palmeiras and Gremio and Galliani has said no chance.

Ronny also wants the rest of his wages paying up before he moves to Brazil.Milan not having that either.

Certainly the likes of City & Chelsea have had him put their way.Haven't got a clue if he's been put your way.

Personally i reckon he'll go to Gremio,but it's still an open situation i guess.

Not very professional to post something like that on facebook though. :wacko:

BA...the fee is £7 million because that is what Hoffenheim want...that one gets more difficult by the day...West Ham had him over to London, made an elaborate offer and got it turned down...not dead yet...but maybe time to move on.

WARNOCK...tosh...no need for a left back...wages way too high...not happening...just a reaction to the fact he is being dropped today...former players returning never really work for me.

RONALDINHO...daft rumour been going round for weeks...think it was in the Maradona period of fantasy football ideas.

nicko, do you know who the 6 names are on the Steve Kean list of targets? can you tell us any?

I think some are obvious...Ba, Romeu, Adam...not sure about the rest.

Nicko realistically is there any chance we are close to signing someone before the Liverpool game?

I can't see that, unfortunately.

Could do with some urgency.

The list of transfer targets was only submitted to the owners at the end of last week according to Kean - taking that into account we probably have not even bid for anyone yet.

Never know there could be teething problems as this transfer business is new for the owners.

What is happening is that the targets are being looked into - cost, interest, rival bidders. That process could and should be hurried up.

Even a kid from Barca like Romeu has more than one admirer.

Ba is a mess, like I said a week or so back.

So there is frustration about.

It is new to a lot people involved - but transfers taking forever is not exactly new to Rovers...

Everybody wants players in fast. I am not sure that is too likely if the vibes I am getting are right. Hope to be proved wrong.

Bottom line is there HAVE to be signings - probably four - to keep the club moving in the right direction.

Nicko, why is there no need for a left back! We don't have one dedicated left back.

There's no need for a left back. Givet is good there and Olsson can play there.

There isn't one on the list as far as I know.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

Transfer digest from the Transfer Window Thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 18:00 today. Since yesterday nearly 40 pages have been added, with the focus firmly on the news that Ronaldinho was a target for the Rovers. Today's digest has been arranged largely in chronological order, but with some posts arranged according to topic for ease of reading. Note also that a small degree of editing of some posts has been carried out for the same purpose.

Any comments should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Preamble to The Eleven O'Clocker

Shortly after the previous digest was posted, nicko announced that there would be an 11 o'clocker, hinting that Ronaldinho would loom large. BPF declared that he also had "been informed that Ronnie has expressed an interest" or was "willing to talk to us" but that he was "Taking this with a pinch of a salt until Nicko shares his news". He also indicated that it was his "understanding" that the deal had been "worked out pretty quickly between the brothers and their advisers".

Seggie asked whether there was a Kentaro link, but nicko denied this: "There is no link like that. The background is interesting. Once the final result is out, there will be further details that may throw some light on how things are shaping up behind the scenes." And True Blue & White reminded us that nicko had previously written off the Ronaldinho story as "daft rumour" that had been "going round for weeks...think it was in the Maradona period of fantasy football ideas", giving an indication of how quickly things change in the football world, as nicko had already acknowledged.

The general excitement at the initial news is perhaps summed up graphically by Doaksie, who produced this fine effort at rather short notice.

ronniez.jpg

Meanwhile, owenrilla showed that he may be a bit more grounded with his offering and summed up the feeling among a significant portion of the posters on the thread during the period.

circuszoomcopy.jpg

In other news, nicko poured cold water on an earlier link to FC Cluj striker Lacine Traore (see 67splitscreen's post above), stating that he was not currently on the shortlist.

The Eleven O'Clocker

I believe the full background tale should be in the Mirror, but in the meantime.

Ronaldinho...once upon a time....

This is a Rao Brothers production. They have been after him for two to three months and have stuck at it all the way through. The Brazilian end of the Venky's empire [i didn't know they had one either] are actively involved in this.

There have been calls and meetings with Ronaldinho's brother, but they have often proved elusive.

The contract on offer is quite staggering. But the player has not bitten. Yet.

Now it is kicking off big-style because AC Milan have let him go back to Brazil to talk to Gremio - and possibly others.

Obviously there is far more money on offer at Rovers than anywhere in Brazil.

So basically it's the money or the beach back home...not a bad thing for Ronaldinho to have that decision because if he wants the dough he may sign, if he doesn't then he wasn't right anyway.

It's been a revealing day. The Venky's Brazil chap seems to be very busy. The Rao brothers do have these fantasy ideas, but to be fair they seem to back them up with cash.

I don't know Ronaldinho, so I don't know what motivates him.

However - as many have said - it is all quite exciting.

Significantly, I have established that this does NOT cut across the budget for Steve Kean's more 'everyday' signings...this is a specific extra project.

The Kean list is in, inquiries are being made re availability and there may be news on that front shortly.

But got to say my focus will be on where Ronaldinho decides to go.

His brother and agent is rather slippery, but most of them are. If the player does fancy the cash then it would be somewhat sensational.

Also significant is the fact that the Raos started this ball rolling while Sam was in charge - and without, in fairness, consulting Kean.

I can't imagine any manager would say no to the chance of coaching the guy. He is past his best, but it would be a hoot.

nicko's article then appeared in The Mirror:

Ronaldinho agent confirms shock Blackburn bid

The Morning News

However, nicko's breaking story was followed this morning by the Lancashire Telegraph publishing a remarkable denial by Venky's of their interest in Ronadinho before the nationals and the Indian press caught on.

Lancashire Telegraph, 3 January 2011

Venky's: Ronaldinho a no go for Blackburn Rovers

The Telegraph, 3 January 2011

"Ronaldinho has become the central figure in the latest embarrassment to befall Blackburn’s Indian owners, Venkys, following a Twitter leak suggesting they were ready to offer the AC Milan forward a £6m-a-year deal - just as he was set to fly to Brazil to sign for Gremio."

Ronaldinho subject of '£6m-a-year' Blackburn bid

Indian Express, 3 January 2011

Although the Indian Express quoted from a rather poor article in The Sun, it was perhaps significant that Venky's are attracting bad publicity from their domestic press:

"Brazil winger Ronaldinho has become the central figure in the latest embarrassment to befall Blackburn Rovers’ Indian owners, Venky’s, following a Twitter post suggesting that they had offered the AC Milan ace a six million pounds a year deal."

Blackburn’s Indian owners Venky's in Ronaldinho 'row'

(thanks to alexanders for the Telegraph and Indian Express links)

The Aftermath

I am quite astonished by how the rest of the press have missed or treated the story...

There is the quote from Ronaldinho's agent which I seem to be the only reporter to have picked up on.

The quotes from Venky's man in Brazil, who is central to the move, confirm ALL of the details and more that appeared and then disappeared on the Venky's website.

There have been contacts with the Ronaldinho camp for weeks/months. Now is the decision time.

The Raos/Venky's do get themselves in a twist at times as we have seen. But there are also people in the media who seem intent to trip them up.

We already know there are people here who do the same for their own personal reasons.

The bottom line is what the headline in the paper says - It's the beach or Blackburn.

Those in contact with people who matter in the move [and I don't mean me] know even more about what is going on and why.

This is NOT a publicity stunt. If so they would have leaked it when it began. This sneaked out a couple of times before and was hastily denied when I spoke to people.

However the cat came out of the bag yesterday and won't go away now.

I hate to get all historic on you, but when Jack Walker came in he tried to buy Gary Lineker. Everyone, including Spurs and Lineker and the papers who missed THAT story, laughed.

What happened after that again...?

Nicko,

If it is NOT a publicity stunt, why are the Venky Brothers denying any contact, even though it was on their own Facebook & Twitter pages?

This just does not add up. Is it a case that they feel so powerful that back home they are used to riding roughshod over everything without being questioned or challenged?

Bloody weird

It is NOT a publicity stunt. This has been ongoing for weeks. I am actually quite impressed that they kept it quiet until yesterday - although one or two did well to pick up rumours recently.

Every time I checked it this was denied to me.

However I have now found out what it is all about.

And, when you chase a story about Ronaldinho, the best place to find out what the very latest is has to be Brazil.

It is MASSIVE news over there...and thanks to someone round here for helping with that.

The Venky's folk do get in a muddle with these things. The Maradona story is being repeated.

Still, one thing is for sure. It ain't 'business as usual' any more.

They do need to speak with one voice, but that message has not got across.

So are we in for Ronald or not? COULD it happen or is it completely dead?

Of course, you are. It's the biggest offer on the table.

Does he want to go back and have an easy life in Brazil or does he want to play in the Premier and get a shedful of cash.

Like I said before, I don't know what motivates him.

We are all about to find out.

I hate to get all historic on you, but when Jack Walker came in he tried to buy Gary Lineker. Everyone, including Spurs and Lineker and the papers who missed THAT story, laughed.

What happened after that again...?

The difference being that when the Press ridiculed it, Jack didn't come out denying the story but said he was serious in his bid. The Rao's have come out in the LT today and actually said they weren't interested in Ronaldinho and it was just a rumour. Clearly you believe that they went for the player and so why deny it?

I don't know about spending money on players, they could do with spending some cash on employing a decent PR company to handle the media for them. At the moment they look completely out of their depth.

[...]

Their PR is shocking.

The quotes in Brazil are from the Venky's guy out there.

The deal has been worked on for weeks.

The only reasons they would be 'denying' it is to [a] cover for the silly hiccup that came out yesterday and possibly they think their chances are fading and don't want to look daft.

Personally, if I had the cash and the balls to chase the guy I would just admit it.

[...]

When I politely suggested that they hire a Western PR team who know who to handle the British Media, this was the response:

'Steven we trust venkys for u go to hell'

I don't know how that person was connected to Venkys though, this was on their Facebook.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

The Aftermath (cont.)

Nicko, a poster earlier mentioned that Venky's regret buying our club, and think it has damaged both BRFC and Venky's since the takeover. Have you heard anything along these lines?

I am sure they had no concept of what they were buying into. Football is a minefield that you don't get told about in the brochure.

I would also be certain that they will not like some of the things being said about them. Some of the content is 'borderline' in my view.

Still, the great thing about football is that winning and being succesful changes opinions.

If they react to the stick by being more determined to succeed it would work in everybody's favour.

[...]

Nicko, according to the LET, we are close to two signings, any truth in it? quotes are from Steve Kean?

[...]

The list is in...prices and availability and rival bidders are being checked.

I think one is close, possibly another and a third could be on shortly too.

But wait until 11pm please :lol:

Tweets:

CryerRovers Andrew Cryer

More confusion around Rovers. Venky Rao strongly denied Ronaldinho link to me, while no officials at Ewood know about it. A publicity stunt?

[...]

I agree. But didn't Jack realise that to attract the big players he needed to appoint a big manager. At the time Kenny Dalglish was one of the biggest names. I know money talks and we are in different times, but surely a big time manager would be more likely to attract the big players.

It took about 20 failed bids and seven or eight months for that to happen.

Different time and circumstances now.

Venky's want a 'name' somewhere in the building. That is not a silly idea as you already have a team.

When Jack came in you needed virtually a new team, so that called on a manager who could attract them...and did.

Roberto Policano enters the fray...

So it was true after all. :lol:

People would be sacked in a real business for a leak like that.

Could he cut it Roberto?

Anything coming out of Italy/Milan about our supposed interest?

He was offered about in October like I said yesterday in your neck of the woods. So it's definitely true I reckon. Still reckon he ends up in Brazil though.

If you where to offer his brother a large agent fee, things could change a little though.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

The Aftermath (cont.)

[...]

How large a fee?

If it really was just a case of chucking his bro a couple of million then I think I'd do it.

If you could pay his brother £3 million either on or off the record heads could be turned.

Teams in Brazil do not pay big agent fees because they haven't got it. At £130,000 a week, you're only £10,000 short of what Milan pay him.

The key in all this though is Adriano Galliani being in Brazil to try and sort out a deal with the Brazilian clubs. He wouldn't be there if he was staying in Europe.

Still though a deal isn't done until the contract is signed!

[...]

That Swede agent with Kentaro lives in Rio by the way.

Is this the "Venky's man in Brazil" nicko has referred to?

[...]

No that Anders Carlsson fella.

The Next Step

Media sources in Brazil are suggesting that Ronaldinho is poised to seal a return to Brazil with Flamengo, Gremio and Palmeiras vying for his signature as the finances of the deal are worked out...

Sounds like Ronaldinho's people are using the Rovers contract offer to dangle in front of Brazilian clubs...

Interesting.

So, maybe he is money-motivated.

;)

Any Other Business

Ics100 asked about Romeu, the "Barca kid", to which nicko replied: "The lad is due in at Villa tomorrow. But so much is going on behind the scenes there that I would not stake my life on it. However - as a loan signing - it is a total no-brainer."

And Somerset Rover! addressed the issue of coaching appointments asking "when are Kean and Brunskill going to get some help?". nicko replied: "I heard there were a couple of names being considered. However one of them - at least - is in a job. Agree with you totally that this should be addressed."

Hey Nicko,

Any truth in the rumours I've been told.

Warnock to sign in next few days for Blackburn again?

He didn't play for Villa yesterday either. Preferred a kid on the bench instead.

Is he off?

I doubt it. He went to Villa for a huge rise - maybe as much as £1 million a year.

Rovers won't give him that kind of cash...or pay Villa a fee.

Don't see him being thrown into the Samba equation either.

[...]

Nicko, Beckham has been mentioned as a possible Marquee signing, any truth in this?

Not on the list...but you never really know these days.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Late morning update #1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Transfer Window Thread covering the period from 18:00 yesterday to 11:00 this morning. Since yesterday evening nearly 30 pages have been added, with the Ronaldinho news continuing to dominate proceedings. Today's digest has been arranged in essentially chronological order.

Any comments should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Ronaldinho bid reported

True Blue & White got the ball rolling shortly after 6 pm, announcing that Talksport had "just got news of a £6.2m offer for Ronaldinho by Blackburn". Other members cited reports by Sky Sports News and later in the evening the Lancashire Telegraph published an update on its website.

Sky Sports, 3 January 2011

Blackburn make Ronnie bid: Ambitious owners table £6.2m bid for Brazilian

Lancashire Telegraph, 3 January 2011

"BLACKBURN Rovers’ owners say they have made a £6.2million bid for Brazilian ace Ronaldinho – just 24 hours after vehemently denying their interest."

Venky's says £6.2m bid for Ronaldinho has been made

Ronaldinho bid reaction

Regarding the question of who might be behind the attempt to bring in Ronaldinho, nicko opined that it was the owners who were dealing with matters:

[...]

To be honest, from what I hear, this is a Rao Brothers production. The manager and agents are working on a separate list. I am not sure that mentioning a fee like that helps at a time when you are trying to haggle in other lesser moves.

But hey ho.

It's not dull with lickle old Rovers any more is it?

Nicko, did you mention earlier that Ronaldinho money would be from different pocket than other transfers?

It is.

But when you are trying to do deals with clubs here they will and are saying 'wait a minute, you lot are minted.'

Makes life a tad complicated.

The most recent quotes on this whole subject are about to come out from the chairlady, good old Mrs D.

The people who are hunting for old quotes and half-baked denial stories really want to get a grip. Most of the denial stuff is in the local paper who, shall we say, misread the situation.

Wonder how The Sun feel about describing the attempt as 'ludicrous'?

I dont know how they misread the situation when Brother Venky said they are not interested. He clearly misled the paper.

PS. Only one winner here, and that's Milan. Getting 8 million Euros (exactly what they had asked for) from us for someone whose contract is up in June.

I believe they described it as a publicity stunt from the off and were happy to put the boot in...no?

Anyway, who cares about that mob.

The 'bid' to Milan may be a bit of confusion too...it is very elaborate.

However - got to say - there is an awful long way for this to go before it is done.

Reminds me of laughing at Manchester City when they bought De Jong for £14mish when he had 6 months left on his contract.

These things are never quite what they seem.

It is possible - stress this is a theory - that AC Milan have to be paid and then settle up Ronaldinho out of the fee to 'sweeten' his departure.

Could be tax reasons, image right issues.

Who knows?

The figure Mrs D told Sky does sound awfully similar to the size of Ronaldinho's personal terms...perhaps there is some confusion.

It wouldn't be the first time, to be fair.

Also amongst the chatter was a report of a tweet allegedly from Venky's twitter that a meeting had been set up with Blackpool to discuss the purchase of Charlie Adam.

The Eleven O'Clocker

RONALDINHO...there should be a piece about how it would work in the Mirror tomorrow...the deal would be a major money-spinner...it wouldn't pay for itself, but it would claw back a lot of cash as well as create interest...every reason to believe it is still alive, although it does seem a bit hard to take in...the fact his brother/agent is finding out there isn't big money in Brazil is helpful...intrigued that Mrs D should be explaining more in the morning....worth hearing...she knows best on this one.

Surprise, surprise time...

ROQUE SANTA CRUZ...talks have begun with Man City for a loan...not my cup of tea, but there you go...Steve Kean thinks he could get a tune out of him...and efforts are being made...Roque would come on loan, so it's just down to how much of the wages are paid...this is shaping up as the 'other' Premier League loan...not for me, but I will leave it to the experts.

BA...unbelievably messy...the guy has fallen out with his club but the price is hefty...Rovers are watching...but I think Roque is more likely as we speak.

ADAM...spooked me when Venky's twitter account came out with that....there is due to be an offer to Blackpool...he is deffo a priority...Kean wanted him, as said before, and fancied him as much if not more than Sam when he was being considered a few weeks ago...Blackpool will be hard to deal with...don't blame them.

So those are the main runners and riders.

Who knows what tomorrow brings, but I think Roque and Adam are the two that the manager describes as close.

Ronaldinho is a separate 'project.'

Amazing.

nicko's article on Santa Cruz in The Mirror:

Rovers boss Kean to bring back Santa Cruz

As an addendum, nicko commented on the unconfirmed news that Romeu had suffered a long-term injury in a match yesterday evening.

Shame about the kid Romeu, by the way.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Late morning update #2 of 2

After Eleven Chat

nicko, I know people might have asked this before but what does your heart say? (or your head?) do you think it will happen and how long do you think it will take for ronaldinho to come to a decision?

It's Ronaldinho's head and heart that matter. Venky's clearly want to do something huge, so their wallets count too.

I thought it was a long shot when I heard, but I am beginning to wonder.

If you asked me to stake my last fiver on it I would say something will go wrong.

If that is the case - I just hope it gets sorted quickly.

The manager's list is THE priority. You need to sign three or four players.

If you get a cherry on top like Ronaldinho that would be spectacular.

If you don't get the rest of the cake too then it would be daft - and dangerous.

In the meantime it had been announced on the thread that an interview with Mrs Desai would be aired on Sky Sports the following morning at 6 am.

Desai Interview

Mrs Desai was interviewed by Sky Sports at the family home in Pune. Asked about the future of Steve Kean, she described him as "positive" and someone who "thinks well". His reward will be "a full-term contract", also described as "a proper contract", which "should be at least two to three years".

The Venky's chairwoman also confirmed a "bid" of 7.2m euros for Ronaldinho and that negotiations were ongoing, but that there were two rivals for his signature. It is unclear at present, however, whether this figure is the amount bid to his club, AC Milan, or whether it is the amount offered to the player and his agent. In addition, they are looking at "a couple of other players" and "thinking of getting Damien Duff back", although it is not clear whether Fulham have received any official approach from Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

Finally, in response to the question of the influence of SEM in their dealings, Mrs Desai acknowleged the help of SEM in the negotiations for the purchase of the club, but denied any "undue influence" on their part since the takeover.

Sky Sports, 4 January 2011

"Blackburn Rovers owners and Venky's chairwoman Anuradha Desai say they're fully behind manager Steve Kean and intend to offer him a longer contract at the end of the season."

Venky's commited (sic) to Kean

(Thanks to doctorryan for an initial summary of the interview and to hawkiiz for the link)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Transfer Window Thread covering a very busy period from 11:00 to 17:00 today. This digest has been arranged in chronological order.

LT update

Lancashire Telegraph, 4 January 2011

Statements from Steve Kean indicate that the longer the Ronaldinho saga goes on, the less likely it becomes that he will sign for the Rovers. There is also this on Duff: "Kean declined to comment on Mrs Desai's statement that former Rover Damien Duff was also a target".

Kean fears Ronaldinho signing is growing less likely

nicko chat

I can't go into what the manager said at his daily presser - got a story to write on it tomorrow and that should be embargoed.

However he did say on Sky some things that will put straight some of the earlier events.

CONTRACT...he has not been offered one...more interested in doing deals.

RONNIE...being cagey on that one...more on that later.

BECKHAM...if he wants to come he will be offered a deal.

SIGNINGS...hopes for two or three by weekend and possibly five in all.

Under grilling from the dailies a lot more came out.

Seems like some people have had their noses put out of joint by not doing their work properly on Ronaldinho.

A few agendas around too.

Hopefully - as usual - the Mirror will be where you get the fullest story.

Nicko, there was nothing in the Mirror about the Ronaldinho deal, how it would work.

Can you shed any light ?

There was a chunk after the Roque story in the print edition.

To paraphrase...Rovers would be expecting a leap in gates [possibly 10,000 a time] and extra TV matches plus a tour of Brazil and India to promote the club and their new signing. So the deal would not pay for itself, but there would be massive advantages financially.

Got to say - having discussed this with people at other clubs - that Rovers is the only Prem team that would see THAT big a leap in gates.

The top ones are nearly full and the smaller ones would not have the funds for the initial gamble.

Interesting.

The beach or Blackburn is the real theme here.

Also, if we are signing a Spanish striker, does that rule out Roque?

A bit confusing.

Maybe SEM/Kentaro think they are running more than they actually are, and the owners are doing their own thing at the same time. I get a distinct feeling that the mixed messages are coming out of two different parties (SEM/Kentaro & the club with its owners, scouting, etc...).

The Spanish lad is a kid - there are two or three of them on a separate list. He is the other Barca kid besides Romeu, who is sadly injured.

It would not affect Roque.

The Venky's/Kentaro confusion is mainly in the heads of the conspiracy theorists.

The links between the pair are great, but they are hardly likely to coincide on every decision.

The Raos and Mrs D have different ideas themselves. Kentaro - despite what some people screech about Jerome Anderson all of the time - is made up of a lot of people.

surely david beckham would be more interested in going tottenham than us ..

Beckham said he would only come back to Man U...until they knocked him back.

Spurs would look a perfect fit.

But if you don't ask you don't get.

I think Beckham is second on the list to Ronaldinho.

Did I really just write that? Need another coffee.

Nicko your tone on the Ronnie thing with the agendas, etc gives the hint that it is in fact becoming less and less likely. Is that the case?

Would Ruben Rochina be a signing or loan?

I am not giving anything away on my latest Ronaldinho tale until later...but it comes down to one thing.

The agendas are among the media who misread the story on Sunday and have to cover their asses after not taking it seriously.

Rochina? No idea either way. Romeu was a loan for the rest of the season. Rochina may be a longer-term deal.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko chat (cont.)

Nicko - has your view on the Ronny chance of signing increased or decreased after what you have heard ?

It's down to one thing. If he wants money he comes to Rovers, if he fancies the easy life he goes to Brazil - or the MLS.

If he is in semi-retirement, you don't want him anyway.

I just hope the answer is quick.

Nicko, I have a question.

By publicizing our targets does that mean we are already on course to sign them or is it a course of premature talking?

I mean Venkys twitter supposedly said we are talking to sign Adam. Are we actually speaking to Blackpool?

And Mrs Desai mentions Duff. Have we begun talking to Fulham or is it a case of telling the world who is on our list before we got the ball rolling?

I think Mrs D has a bit to learn about football protocol.

She is too honest.

The Adam thing is correct because he is on the list. Have they spoken to Blackpool yet? Not so sure. But they will do.

There has been an inquiry about Duff. But I will leave the details for the 11 o'clocker.

Craigman rudely interrupted the euphoria by relaying breaking news from Sky Sports News that Ronaldinho was not going to be coming. Just as the 200+ members on the thread were coming to terms with the news, nicko reminded us that it was only Sky... And off we went again.

Sky Breaking news: Ronaldinho will not be sold to Blackburn..

Ronaldinho is talking to Gremio today.

So he hasn't signed for anyone yet.

There are some halfwits at Sky.

They spent the first half of yesterday denying it, then confirming it.

There is a bit more life in this tale.

As Milan's VP is in Brazil, is it wrong to presume he has given Ronaldinho permission to talk to Gremio which in the normal world of transfers means there is an AC/Gremio deal?

I appreciate this is not the normal world though.

Ronaldinho's agent has been speaking to three other clubs - with permission allegedly - for the past few weeks.

The AC Milan chap probably fancies a good last night out with Ronnie.

Sky's story is from their Italian office who have spoken to somebody at AC Milan. Could have been the cleaner. Their Italian operation usually churns out more crap than the British one.

There is a process going on here. It's not hard to follow.

Ronaldinho has been told he can leave AC Milan.

Gremio and two other Brazilian sides have been in for him.

NONE of them will get anywhere near the financial offer he can get at Blackburn Rovers. That offer has been on the table for weeks. It is now out there and official - just in case Ronnie isn't being told properly by his brother and agent.

There are TWO things that have to happen here.

Still waiting.

But don't panic at every daft snippet from dodgepot places like SSN.

Nicko, what´s the story with Roque? How close? Also Duff´s name came out today. Were you aware about that before?

Should be an 11 o'clock update.

Roque deal is in the hands of the chairman [sharp intake of breath from the conspiracy theorists].

Duff was news to me - that will be explained and updated later.

Nicko's 11:30 update

The manager's quotes on Ronaldinho are well worth reading.

Not just because they are in a beautifully-crafted piece of literature either.

Basically, his bottom line is finding out whether Ronaldinho wants to play football or have some fun.

He WON'T sign him until they meet - if he gets that chance.

This chap impresses me.

He got a few bouncers aimed at him today and swiped them all off.

In genuine danger of being a 'new Coyley.'

Guest Wen Y Hu

Early morning update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Transfer Window Thread covering another very busy period from 17:00 yesterday up to the closing of the thread around 07:45 this morning. This digest has been arranged in chronological order.

nicko chat

It will be interesting to see where the manager shows up tonight.

;)

Catch you at 11.

Cue posting frenzy...

Just listened to Radio 5...what a fuss about the Ronaldinho thing.

Couple of observations.

Mrs D was pretty specific with the terms. The more I think of it the more it shows that they are trying to emphasise the dough to the Ronaldinho Brothers.

The BBC guy in Brazil was very sensible and got it right. The money is at Rovers. I don't care who 'sponsors' a deal for him in Brazil I wouldn't be counting on seeing my cash after a year or so when they get bored.

[...]

The 11 o'clocker will be good - on many levels.

Posting frenzy resumes... Until it turns 11 o'clock in Holland.

The Dutch Eleven O'Clocker

Here it is...the first-ever Dutch 11 o'clocker...that line just tickled me.

It's early, but even I am in danger of prematurely. You know what I mean.

RONALDINHO...totally mental...all three Brazilian clubs think he is joining them...but no decision yet...one thing is official - his brother is a nugget...this fits with what has been happening with the Rovers bid...the offer was made by Rovers to Ronaldinho's bro weeks ago...THAT is why I keep saying 'two things have to happen'...ONE - he has to say, yes we will sign for that...TWO - don't laugh, but he will then have to convince Steve Kean he WANTS to come...the whole story on that in the Mirror shortly...too, too strange...but you don't do dull any more, so what the hell...where will he go?...no idea...but neither has he, by the sounds of it...like the headline said - It's the beach or Blackburn.

ROQUE...wants to come, which is key...still discussing terms with Man City...not for me, thanks....however.

BA...sounds as big a loop-the-loop job as Ronnie...desperate to get out of Hoffenheim to join West Ham for 'personal reasons' and yet is now hawking himself around to other Premier clubs...starting to think he is one to avoid or he will end up being sectioned like one or two round here should be.

DUFF...interestingly, he quite fancies a return which is why Rovers made an inquiry...Mark Hughes won't let him go...decent idea because he can play on either wing...but I still don't like this 'old boy' romantic stuff.

ADAM...glad he did well tonight...the manager obviously not the only one watching...smashing player...ideal...a bid will go in..but all the best getting an agreement with Blackpool...there is NO price clause in his contract.

Now the surprise news.

NELSEN and ROBINSON...both want to sign new 'lifetime' deals at the club after hearing of the plans for the future... [...]

SAMBA...said it before...he wants out...for his own reasons...that one may come to a head very shortly.

nicko's article in The Mirror: Blackburn's Kean wants face-to-face Ronaldinho talks

More nicko chat

Somebody asked a valid question about 'young' signings earlier on.

There are at least TWO young players on an extra list being worked on.

So there could be some influx here this month.

The Kentaro 'plan' was for kids to come in and be sold down the line...that would obviously be easier to launch in a close season.

Right now there is a Premier League place to retain. With a small squad it was always going to be that.

My 'guess' would be four or five for the first team and a couple for the 'development' squad.

Plus a cherry on the top if possible.

Happy bleedin days if it all comes off.

Just one question, if Samba has wanted to leave for a year, how did we manage to get him to sign a 5 year contract just last year?

The murmurings from his camp came from the start of this season.

The 'year' thing is not too accurate.

The 'season' would be more so, I believe.

The manager's quotes on Ronaldinho are well worth reading.

Not just because they are in a beautifully-crafted piece of literature either.

Basically, his bottom line is finding out whether Ronaldinho wants to play football or have some fun.

He WON'T sign him until they meet - if he gets that chance.

This chap impresses me.

He got a few bouncers aimed at him today and swiped them all off.

In genuine danger of being a 'new Coyley.'

:lol:

This morning's press

Lancashire Telegraph, 5 January 2011

Duff and Santa in the pipeline

Daily Telegraph, 5 January 2011

"Blackburn’s forlorn pursuit of Ronaldinho has descended further into farce with manager Steve Kean insisting he instigated the move, despite conceding he did not mention the Brazilian in a two-hour transfer strategy meeting with chairman John Williams last Friday."

Blackburn Rovers' courtship of AC Milan's Brazilian Ronaldinho descends into farce

The Independent, 5 January 2011

Kean dampens Ronaldinho hopes as Samba looks for exit

(thanks to philipl for the links)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Transfer Window Part 2 thread and the Ronaldinho thread covering the period from the opening of the threads around 07:45 this morning to 16:00 this afternoon. This digest has been arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Ronaldinho

With weeks' worth of contact, I would have expected both Ronaldinho and his agent to already have been here... Who knows?

A series of very true words in one sentence.

When the manager talks about time 'fading' the chances it is because it is now quite some time since the actual contract offer was made.

Ronaildinho is in Brazil, talking to clubs and comparing what is on offer elsewhere. There WON'T be a bigger package out there.

But it just takes ONE call to accept the Rovers deal.

Wait and hope. Nothing else.

Milan have confirmed he's joined Gremio.

Gremio have called a press conference for 5PM UK time

nicko morning update

[...]

ROQUE...wants to come to Rovers...Rovers chairman John Williams is in talks...the Lazio stuff is either a bogus quote or an attempt to hurry up Rovers into sorting out terms...not a good idea to take him in my book, but there we go.

BA...making problems at Hoffenheim but the fee is £7 million...Rovers have an interest but not at that price...and the player declaring to various agents that he wanted to go to West Ham for 'personal reasons' and now changing his mind has me screaming 'avoid.'

ADAM...is Blackpool's skipper and [for me] best player...a proper bid would have a chance of getting him...but it will take a lot of effort all round to knock it off...time to get started on that now.

DUFF...Fulham don't want to sell...I don't see that changing in a hurry.

SAMBA...a situation that has to be watched closely...several of the people he is working with are now getting quite excited about the chance of a move...again, the price or deal has to be right.

In response to questions about possible swaps and swoops:

BLACKPOOL SWAPS...as pointed out by someone else...no chance...wage problem.

SAMBA SWAPS...every chance.

WARNOCK...please not another old boy...massive wages.

ADAM...stand by your beds.

Juraj Kucka and Bonny Wilifried

Nicko have you heard anything regarding our interest in Juraj Kucka from Sparta Prague? + striker Bonny Wilifried.

Juraj Kucka is due to join Genoa. Wilifried interesting clubs from Germany.

Sky Sports says we and West Ham are chasing Gabriel Milito.

He's been offered about all over the show. Genoa keen again for replacing Andrea Ranocchia who joined Inter.

Lazio & City could not agree on a fee for the Summer. Lazio wanted Federico Macheda and now after Floro Flores.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

Charlie Adam

Charlie Adam is NOT out of contract in the summer. He has 18 months left. This will take money...and trying to get the better of Karl Oyston.

[...]

Seems like you are overly keen for this to happen Alan. :huh:

Expensive / slow / stubborn chairman who will easily trample all over our naive new owners and their puppet. Per Frandsen written all over this imo.

btw just as an aside hasn't Adams had some sort of contractual grievance with Blackpool recently?

Charlie Adam would be ideal for the way Steve Kean wants Rovers to play. He is also very much within the budget in terms of wages. The fee will be a problem. But make one and stop hanging around.

Adam had a contract dispute that was settled. However a proper offer on all sides makes this deal happen.

If you can't land a player like that then there is a problem.

Especially as the one remaining Premier loan is going to be used on Roque, which strikes me as a mistake.

[...]

Transfer funds

The question regarding the amount of funding available this transfer window was raised, prompting the following series of clarification.

The manager said recently it was at least £10 million for this window and a guaranteed £5 million for the next three windows.

[...]

[omitted quote]

[...]

The money will be available when it is needed...if injuries stay severe and results get worse they will probably have to spend MORE.

Kean spoke to them and established that the £5 million is a minimum in these windows...but that can be dipped into.

I would have thought that the Ronaldinho attempt buries once and for all the idea that these people are tight wads or skint.

[...]

[omitted quote]

Steve Kean stated it categorically in his first presser after the India trip. I am pretty sure I wrote it and it was mentioned in the paper. If it was ignored elsewhere you have to ask THEM why that was not mentioned.

I believe - and have said before - that the total in this window will depend on the need. That need increased when players started falling over. That need will increase even more if there is a run of bad results.

That is football.

Weird? No. New? Yes.

[...]

Eleven O'Clocker Preview

Two domestic things have moved on today. One more should.

Got some work to do and a game to go to - the Champions League push is still on. :lol:

There will be an 11 o'clocker - possibly later depending on the traffic.

Nicko's 11 O'Clocker

SAMBA... Villa want him...Collins is the most attractive makeweight offered and valuations are being discussed...if Samba wants to go that looks his likely/only destination.

ROQUE...Man City playing hard ball over the loan...hopefully they play hardball until February.

MILITO?...new one on me.

This Morning on Sky

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6636801,00.html

Rovers are lining up a loan move for Arsenal attacker Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Transfer Window Part 2 thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that the Ronaldinho thread has no new news of substance. This digest has been arranged according to topic for ease of reading.

Ronaldinho

TalkSport, 6 January 2011

"Blackburn manager Steve Kean has not given up hope of signing Ronaldinho and will try to salvage the deal before the weekend."

Kean refuses to give up on Ronaldinho move

(thanks to Taggart for the link)

Roque Santa Cruz

Mirror Football, 5 January 2011

"Steve Kean wants to make Roque Santa Cruz his first signing at Blackburn."

Blackburn make Man City striker top target

(thanks to chaddyrovers for the link)

Gaby Milito

Milito to trade Barca for Blackburn or West Ham?

(thanks to Fylde Coast Fan for the link)

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

"Skysports.com understands Blackburn Rovers are lining up a loan move for Arsenal attacker Jay Emmanuel-Thomas."

Sky Sports, 6 January 2011

Rovers target young Gunner: Arsenal attacker linked with loan switch to Rovers

(thanks to roversfan1 for the link)

Nick Blackman

The Press and Journal, 6 January 2011

"Aberdeen manager Craig Brown believes Blackburn Rovers attacker Nick Blackman would be a stellar addition to his Dons squad."

Aberdeen look to see off Motherwell and Hibs and land Blackburn attacker on loan: Blackman can be star man for Dons, says Brown

(thanks to philipl for the link)

Alex Marrow

Rovers.co.uk, 6 January 2011

"Crystal Palace have today completed a deal to sign Rovers midfielder Alex Marrow."

Marrow moves on

(thanks to budha for the link)

nicko stuff

Blackburn to swap Samba for Villa's Collins

(thanks to Fylde Coast Fan for the link)

See Glenn's post above for nicko's Eleven O'Clocker.

Only one loan place available...and Roque's name is currently on that.

I doubt big Emmanuel-Thomas is right.

And, no bid for Adam yet. Get it sorted please.

One minor update.

Houllier staying at Villa should mean the Samba-Collins thing presses on.

No time-scale.

I can't see two new faces being in by tomorrow.

Willing to stand corrected.

any news on adam,has the ball started rolling yet?? or is it more hot air :blink:

The ball has started moving.

Just not in the expected direction.

There will be an 11 o'clocker.

My fault if the message was picked up the wrong way earlier.

There is news on Charlie Adam. Slightly surprising. But possibly good in the end.

Full tale at normal time.

Nicko's 11 O'clocker

CHARLIE ADAM...Birmingham City have come in...willing to buy...might not be a bad thing if a club has a go and establishes the fee or ground rules...can't go into too many details, but Rovers have a good chance with this one as long as the price is not higher than it should be.

On a side-note...Newcastle in for Seb Larsson at Birmingham...fee agreed...this may explain why Birmingham have money to spend.

ROQUE...Man City swamped with requests from clubs to take players on loan...this works against a quick Rovers deal because they do not want to do sponsored transfers that will mean everybody else wants sponsored transfers...still on the wish list...but may go on for a few weeks yet.

SAMBA...Houllier staying keeps that one alive...down to whether Villa - whoever takes the decisions there at the moment - want to trade Collins...and what the 'adjustment' is...swaps are never easy...but still very much on.

SIGNINGS...think the gaffer may have beem optimistic with his 'two deals' line...no doubt the smart-asses will jump on that...it was probably a bit optimistic...not a criminal offence.

Lots happenign all over. Very few deals being done THAT quickly.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

Transfer digest from the Transfer Window Part 2 thread covering the period from 16:00 Thursday to the closing of the Part 2 thread around 14:30 today. Some 40 pages have been added in the meantime. Note that the Ronaldinho thread has no new news of substance. This digest has been arranged essentially according to topic for ease of reading.

Ronaldinho

Lancashire Telegraph, 7 January 2011

"BLACKBURN Rovers manager Steve Kean insists the club have not given up hope of signing Brazilian playmaker Ronaldinho. In this morning's scheduled press conference, Kean said that Rovers have not yet tabled any bids for players in the January transfer window."

Kean still hopeful of luring Ronaldinho to Blackburn Rovers

Lancashire Telegraph, 8 January 2011

"BLACKBURN Rovers have launched a last-ditch attempt to rescue their Ronaldinho hopes – but insist their pursuit of the Brazilian will not affect their other transfer targets."

"Having also ruled out the possibility of bringing David Beckham to Ewood Park, Kean admitted failure to sign Ronaldinho would be the end of their search for a big-name signing this month - although they would look again in the summer."

The article is accompanied by a video of Steve Kean's Friday press conference.

Blackburn Rovers to launch last ditch bid for Ronaldinho

Official site on transfer targets

Rovers.co.uk, 8 January 2011

Slow progress on transfer targets

(thanks to John for the link)

Alan Judge

Alan Judge has gone back to Notts County on loan with a view to a permanent deal.

Rovers.co.uk, 7 January 2011

Judge returns to Magpies

(thanks to duffbear for the link)

Initial targets - Roque, Duffer and Adam

LT article from yesterday on Roque Santa Cruz, with brief update regarding Damien Duff and Charlie Adam.

Lancashire Telegraph, 7 January 2011

"Rovers boss Steve Kean wanted to secure the Paraguayan’s Ewood Park return on a loan deal until the end of the season but his current employers are prepared to wait for someone to match their asking price."

Blackburn Rovers forced to wait in Manchester City striker hunt

The Eleven O'Clocker (Thursday)

CHARLIE ADAM...Birmingham City have come in...willing to buy...might not be a bad thing if a club has a go and establishes the fee or ground rules...can't go into too many details, but Rovers have a good chance with this one as long as the price is not higher than it should be.

On a side-note...Newcastle in for Seb Larsson at Birmingham...fee agreed...this may explain why Birmingham have money to spend.

ROQUE...Man City swamped with requests from clubs to take players on loan...this works against a quick Rovers deal because they do not want to do sponsored transfers - that will mean everybody else wants sponsored transfers...still on the wish list...but may go on for a few weeks yet.

SAMBA...Houllier staying keeps that one alive...down to whether Villa - whoever takes the decisions there at the moment - want to trade Collins...and what the 'adjustment' is...swaps are never easy...but still very much on.

SIGNINGS...think the gaffer may have beem optimistic with his 'two deals' line...no doubt the smart-asses will jump on that...it was probably a bit optimistic...not a criminal offence.

Lots happening all over. Very few deals being done THAT quickly.

nicko's article on Roque in The Mirror: City call off Santa Cruz's Rovers return

(thanks to Hughesy for the link)

nicko morning update

ADAM...every player has his value...you don't over-spend or you never stop...let's see where Birmingham go with it...and Sunderland if they come in...quite relaxed about that one.

DUFF...Fulham don't want to sell...so you DON'T over-bid for a player of his age.

ROQUE...Man City had a deal with Lazio that meant they would get rid of him and get a small fee...so Rovers's loan attempt falls short of that dream world for them...again, patience needed...you know my views on that deal already.

SAMBA-COLLINS...down to valuations.

Not sure if two deals will be done today. But there is a fair amount going on behind the scenes here, there and everywhere. No point in going for the B list targets while the A list are still available.

There will be some players NOT playing for their clubs in the FA Cup to avoid being Cup-tied. That may be quite revealing.

Transfer chat

I love this!! Last year it was Mr X and Mr Y. This year it's the A-Listers and B-Listers.

Just curious, if we're getting desperate near the end of Janurary, do we then start looking at the C-men?*

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I don't think there is any desperation just yet.

Since the manager said he 'hoped' to have two in by today you have made calls/moves for six that I know of - probably a lot more that I don't - AND you have beaten Liverpool.

So maybe less need to go desperate and over-spend on somebody after that result.

Expect a few surprise younger faces in the QPR squad. But also expect quite a few of the younger ones to be moved out too...some for experience.

Nick Blackman is an interesting case. He is back, does not fancy a return to Scotland and is looking for quite heavy wages for someone of his lack of experience...Josh Morris could also be farmed out too.

Nicko, do you know why Marrow was sold for a measly £50,000?

Palace fans think they've got a right bargain (as do I). I'm surprised we didn't bring him back and have a look at him, got a feeling that one will come back to haunt us.

The feeling of the previous and current regimes was that the kid won't make it at Rovers. So they took some money for him rather than free him in the summer. Reasonable gesture. Nobody expects that one to bite them in the ass.

Blackman is back here and thinks he can find a Championship club. That is about as hot off the press as it can get. I know what he wants - and he won't be getting it at Aberdeen unless they strike oil under Pittodrie.

Are we still after Seb Larsson?

Good player who should cost between 1-2 million right now.

Not at this stage. I don't think he fancies Newcastle either. We shall see in the next 24-48 hours.

If Adam is the player we want and we let him go to Birmingham, that's criminal. I hope we are just letting them make the initial incursion and seeing how the land lies thereafter. We need a midfielder first and foremost.

CHILL

I'd rather we moved on to the "B" list alternatives for Duff & Roque now as they weren't brilliant ideas in the first place if you ask me.

AGREED

Lazio only willing to pay £2 million for Santa at the moment, City after £3.5 million.

Clubs agreed to split wages 50-50 until July 1st. After that date City told Lazio they would not give them any money and that they would have to sort out their own contract with him.

Both clubs spoke yesterday & probably again today.

City would probably prefer him in Italy too.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

Transfer chat (cont.)

Majiball also posted a link from the Uxbridge Gazette (7 January 2011) on Pascal Chimbonda: QPR boss wants Blackburn full-back Pascal Chimbonda

"QPR are ready to gamble on Pascal Chimbonda as Kyle Walker's replacement after the right-back was recalled to Spurs this week at the end of his loan deal."

ROQUE...Lazio offered some cash weeks ago...City liked the sound of that...but Roque wants to stay in the area and come back to Rovers...so that is going to take some negotiating...I just wish Rovers found somebody better...but that's a personal view.

ADAM...Birmingham bid a bit lower than the £2 million...which is low...however they have dough...Rovers playing the waiting game...but this is poised to kick off big-style in the next few days.

CHIMBONDA...not paid up yet...will prove stubborn...can't say I blame him.

Word I am getting back is that everybody quite relaxed with 'progress' being made.

It is a little more frantic in other places...as you will find out later today.

Second question of the day for you Nicko (I'll try not to make a habit of it...),

who is doing our negotiating, is it Williams acting under instructions from the Raos, or are they doing everything themselves? I'm very worried if it's the latter.

John Williams will do the domestic deals - as I said a few days ago. The only change now is that there is money to spend.

Venky's know the names, know the prices and between them all they approach each deal as it comes up.

The manager has plenty of contacts and knows the best way to get answers too.

So, it's shaping up ok.

The big test - as always - is in who gets signed...and for how much.

There isn't a point in over-spending on Roque, Adam, Duff etc when their value may adjust itself in a week or possibly fortnight.

Fortunately the Liverpool result took a lot of heat off. Now you can put some fringe men out against QPR. And keep busy in the background.

Hughes says duff is not for sale and isn't going anywhere.

On this 'budget' thing...

ROQUE...at the very cheapest you would still have to pay close to £2 million in wages to get him on loan.

ADAM...if the price goes to £3 million you would also have his wages on top for - say, three-and-a-half years, which would be £4.5 million or so.

SAMBA OUT/COLLINS IN...you would actually make money on the settlement...possibly £2 million or slightly more...wages would be similar.

Let's say those are the three deals done [i think there will be more] that would mean a 'net' figure of around £7.5 million.

But there are so many ways you could break that down and interpret it that there is NO WAY that a limit of £5 million for fees and wages exists.

If Roque didn't come there would have to be a striker...possibly costing MORE over time.

If Adam didn't come you would have to buy a midfielder...similar cost.

If Samba's swap doesn't happen you would be slightly out of pocket.

My head is spinning.

Please stop.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

Another Dutch Eleven O'Clocker (Friday)

A Dutch 11 o'clocker [because there is little to report apart from denied targets].

DUFF...there was an inquiry straight to Mark Hughes which was quickly rebuffed...I think that is what the manager means by 'moving on' from a target...past tense now.

BENTLEY...never was a target.

SIDWELL...never was a target...why should he have been?...always wanted London...got Fulham in the end...good luck to the lad.

RUCHINA...been with a Spanish expert this evening who tells me the Barca striker is decent...he has been understudy to Bolton's on-loan Rodrigo throughout the international youth teams...if he is half as good as the Bolton boy he will be good...doesn't sound like one for the first team, to be fair.

ADAM...rumbling on...quite a few clubs keeping an eye on that...Rovers have a pretty good chance...but no counting chickens [not used that line for a while].

RESSIES...loads in shop window on Monday...some in squad tomorrow.

Now that Dzeko has completed his 27m move to City (SSN), can we see the likes of Santa Cruz and other City players get shoved out asap?

Man City have been trying to sell or get fully-paid loans for several players for weeks. This is an instruction from HQ.

But they are slowly realising how hard that is.

Given, Bridge, SWP, Lescott, Roque...all huge earners they want to move out. But nobody can afford them.

The Roque thing is even more difficult because Rovers had their strides down when they got £15 million-plus for a player with bad knees.

Now Rovers want him back - with City paying a chunk of his wages for the privilege - when City think there is a small chance that Lazio would take him and Roque would uproot and go.

City have been dreaming about getting their unwanted men moved out. It's just a question of when they wake up.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Transfer Window Part 3 thread covering the period from the opening of the new thread around 14:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. This digest has been arranged chronologically for ease of reading.

Ronaldinho

Lancashire Telegraph, 8 January 2011

Blackburn Rovers boss admits defeat in Ronaldinho chase

Transfer chat

There was no eleven o'clocker as such, but publication of nicko's article in The People prompted discussion on the relative merits of the reported swap of Samba for former Rover favourite Warnock and Welsh international James Collins.

Mirror Football, 9 January 2011

Steve Kean chases Aston Villa duo Stephen Warnock and James Collins

(thanks to Craigman for the link)

I understand that Samba does not want to go to Villa so this one is effectively dead.

The Villa thing is all academic if Philipl has got it right about Samba not wanting to go there. Who would when there are rumours that Houllier has 'lost the dressing room'.

Villa want Samba. Samba wants a move. The two-for-one swap is the latest idea of those involved in it. Swaps are always difficult, that one is even harder.

But it won't go away.

I don't think Samba has had a change of heart. Rumours of a new contract offer were flying around - checked it and that has been denied.

[...]

Archived