BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Marquee signing

imy9

As Ronaldinho has decided to join Gremio in Brazil and our owners have said that money is available for a 'marque' signing, wondered who people thought we could realistically sign who would could be classed as a 'marque' signing.

Mine would be Samuel Eto'o, nearly 30, a world class striker who has been voted African Player of the Year and has been voted 3rd on FIFA world player of the year.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Ronaldinho has decided to join Gremio in Brazil and our owners have said that money is available for a 'marque' signing, wondered who people thought we could realistically sign who would could be classed as a 'marque' signing.

Mine would be Samuel Eto'o, nearly 30, a world class striker who has been voted African Player of the Year and has been voted 3rd on FIFA world player of the year.

And still awesome for Inter, completely different situation than Ronnie.

If Eto'o was available, there would be far better teams in the mix than us... next

None – its just a big con/ blag according to some sections of our fans, so whats the point….instead I suggest we sign average players like Keeeeeef Andrews and that will make those fans happier so they can say ‘told you so’. That way we can look forward to many more relegation battles and lots more moaning on here.

Eto'o?! Bloody hell, why not go for Messi whilst we're at it. Why would Inter sell Eto'o?

It's difficult. It has to be a former world class player who is no longer wanted by their club.

How long has Henry signed for in the US?

I don't care about 'marquee signings'. All I want is a couple of good footballers to replace the dross we have to field every week. Our owners aren't rich enough to secure the kind of talent that is being spoken of on here. They should be rich enough however to bring in the quality that we so desperately need.

Eto'o?! Bloody hell, why not go for Messi whilst we're at it. Why would Inter sell Eto'o?

It's difficult. It has to be a former world class player who is no longer wanted by their club.

How long has Henry signed for in the US?

I went to see Henry playing for New York in November and he was very poor.

Landon Donovan. USA best player, would raise our profile in America and would be just the sort of player our team is missing. Cheaper than the others aswel.

He would be a class signing. don't know whether he would come. Why not sign a south korean or japanesa player and he would be marque signing. And it would help venkys with the company to break into the asia market.

None – its just a big con/ blag according to some sections of our fans, so whats the point….instead I suggest we sign average players like Keeeeeef Andrews and that will make those fans happier so they can say ‘told you so’. That way we can look forward to many more relegation battles and lots more moaning on here.

Or some of us would like us to sign solid, premier league quality players... not celebrities to boost Venkys publicity.

Unfortunately I fear it's a ridiculous marquee signing or nothing.

Owners who know nothing about football often try to make eccentric signings with no thought of the impact on the team.

I would rather see 2 or 3 very solid signings to benefit the team rather than one big 'move over city' deal.

I agree, some of fans were not happy when Sam was manager and we were playing hoof ball and the trust gave us nought and we bought crap players. Now we have owners who do have money, that have the ambition to take us up a level or two who want to sign proven players they don't want it and want to go backwards. It is the same in other clubs though but i like what they are saying and they are trying to be more open and introduce themdelves to the fans. Whatever they try and do some fans will never accept them.

You're right Hughesy. We don't need marquee signings like Ronaldinho or Beckham. Instead we should be looking to buy younger players who are approaching their peak and on whom we can build a strong foundation for the club. Jack had the right idea in the early 1990s, he bought young players who had plenty of experience and who were able to take the club onto the next level - the likes of Shearer, Ripley, Le Saux, Sutton, Batty etc. If we did that then relegation battles would be a thing of the past.

I see 'toe-nails' is still doing his 'everything is rosey la la la' routine :rolleyes:

Personally, i don`t think the club 'needs' a top marque signing like Ronaldinho & Beckham. If they`ve got the money to splash out on these primadonnas, then they`ve got the cash to properly strengthen & improve the team as a whole.

I`d test Everton`s mettle with a bid for either Cahill or Arteta. I`d tempt either player with a bumper pay deal. Everton are a good solid club but are far from wealthy. Either player would 100% improve our midfield.

I`d try to lure Craig Bellamy & David Bentley back....surely better than we`ve got now?

Failing Bentley, what about Shaun Wright Philips? What`s he up to these days? A good exciting winger at Ewood?

These are just a few suggestions. Most of them probably non-starters, but well worth a cheeky bid & you could probably buy all of them for what the Ronaldinho deal (wages) was reported to be.

Or some of us would like us to sign solid, premier league quality players... not celebrities to boost Venkys publicity.

Unfortunately I fear it's a ridiculous marquee signing or nothing.

Owners who know nothing about football often try to make eccentric signings with no thought of the impact on the team.

I would rather see 2 or 3 very solid signings to benefit the team rather than one big 'move over city' deal.

But the club are working on ‘solid, experience premier league type’ signings – or do you think Charlie Adam, RSC etc are just gimmicks too??….The marquee signing is just the marketing tool to help us tap into new markets and grow our brand (aswell as Venkys) and to grow our revenue streams.

It helps when trying to make it big in other parts of the world if you have players who they already love in other countries….even experienced players like Scott Parker or Darren Bent wouldn’t do that…you need a big name to do that – a Ronaldinho, Beckham, Honda, Park etc.

As for the ‘move over city’ comment – if you want TOP CLASS players who bring with them MASSIVE income opportunities then you have to pay them MUCH bigger wages & fees.

You speak too much sense Hughesy.

Anyone with an ounce of business sense would see what a marquee signing would do for our club. It was already explained how a much of the initial cost would be offset by marketing opportunities abroad.

My Indian friend said he believed they had more money than was being let on. He thought they were connected (use your imagination). .

Which would explain why it doesn't appear to be documented.

But I have no opinion on that front.

You're right Hughesy. We don't need marquee signings like Ronaldinho or Beckham. Instead we should be looking to buy younger players who are approaching their peak and on whom we can build a strong foundation for the club. Jack had the right idea in the early 1990s, he bought young players who had plenty of experience and who were able to take the club onto the next level - the likes of Shearer, Ripley, Le Saux, Sutton, Batty etc. If we did that then relegation battles would be a thing of the past.

And that is the long term plan...right now the club need stability to keep a solid position....the Ronaldinhos etc is just to try and break new markets.

I see 'toe-nails' is still doing his 'everything is rosey la la la' routine :rolleyes:

Personally, i don`t think the club 'needs' a top marque signing like Ronaldinho & Beckham. If they`ve got the money to splash out on these primadonnas, then they`ve got the cash to properly strengthen & improve the team as a whole.

I`d test Everton`s mettle with a bid for either Cahill or Arteta. I`d tempt either player with a bumper pay deal. Everton are a good solid club but are far from wealthy. Either player would 100% improve our midfield.

I`d try to lure Craig Bellamy & David Bentley back....surely better than we`ve got now?

Failing Bentley, what about Shaun Wright Philips? What`s he up to these days? A good exciting winger at Ewood?

These are just a few suggestions. Most of them probably non-starters, but well worth a cheeky bid & you could probably buy all of them for what the Ronaldinho deal (wages) was reported to be.

Everything is rosey la la la?? Such as what?

Compared to ‘it’s a crisis, quick run, jump in the fire, lets all die’ routine or the ‘Venkys are ruining us, they must have paid £50m+ just to p!ss it up the wall’!! Seriously grow up & get a grip.

SWP - £80k a week? What do we get for that, an average premier league player – no thanks…Compared to the likes of Ronaldinho/ Beckham who pay back their wages in global interest/ sponsorship deals/ new fans/ merchandise/ tours etc

Bellamy is on a season long loan…so not possible

Arteta to Blackburn?? Ha ha yeah ok, with teams like Arsenal always linked to him. Same goes for Cahill, bigger suitors should he leave Everton….both players would probably only leave for Champs league footy….something we cant offer.

Bentley yes, but would HE come back and get over his ego? Unlikely!

When they first took over we had ‘they have no money’, it then went to ‘we only have £5m’, and now people don’t have a clue because it’s clear there are FAR more ambitious than the sceptical fans had them down for. Is it so difficult to give them a chance to prove you wrong?? Rather than kicking off about everything??

Archived