BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Marquee signing

imy9

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people would have heard of him but to be honest, not many people give a monkeys about the French league so anyone 'big' over there isn't really going to grab peoples imaginations unless they produce the goods consistently in the Champions League, particularly against the English clubs.

Really? Is he still unknown in England? I had no idea. I honestly thought everyone knew him by now.

He's well enough known but not a big draw like Beckham and Ronaldo or even lesser "names" would be. He hasn't been anywhere near as good since his move to Lyon as he was when Bordeaux won the title. He'd be up for a move I think but would probably not even think of coming to a club like ours let alone actually do it. Rumour has it he's a bit of a loner and not really a team player, although I don't know to what extent that's true. His dad manages a small town club that is remarkably similar to Rovers in being from an unfashionable working class Northern area so he will know about clubs like ours but would cost a fortune to buy despite being relatively out of form and doubt it would be a viable loan.

Really? Is he still unknown in England? I had no idea. I honestly thought everyone knew him by now.

Not unknown, but as TSR said, not going have the effect Venky's will want from their marquee signing.

I don't think we'll end up getting one, there are so few around who are still are a huge name but would have an outside chance of joining us.

Thierry Henry is the only other one I can think of, depends how he's enjoying life in America though.

He's well enough known but not a big draw like Beckham and Ronaldo or even lesser "names" would be. He hasn't been anywhere near as good since his move to Lyon as he was when Bordeaux won the title. He'd be up for a move I think but would probably not even think of coming to a club like ours let alone actually do it. Rumour has it he's a bit of a loner and not really a team player, although I don't know to what extent that's true. His dad manages a small town club that is remarkably similar to Rovers in being from an unfashionable working class Northern area so he will know about clubs like ours but would cost a fortune to buy despite being relatively out of form and doubt it would be a viable loan.

Yeah, I've heard those rumors too. They were really intense during the WC, where it was reported that he didn't get along with the rest of the squad.

His dad is a legend in Lorient, has been there for many years now.

Oh well, not a marquee signing, I get your point! :)

Hasn't steve kean ruled out a marquee signing.

surprised no one has mentioned juan roman riquelme,he's not very mobile but oozes class and has a very high profile,would be very difficult to persuade him to come though.

Yeah, I've heard those rumors too. They were really intense during the WC, where it was reported that he didn't get along with the rest of the squad.

His dad is a legend in Lorient, has been there for many years now.

Oh well, not a marquee signing, I get your point! :)

I think his stock went down after the World Cup, I know many including myself foolishly said he was the next Zidane but he was very very VERY poor, mind you the others were pretty ordinary as well. I see him as a marquee signing definately, is well known around Europe even if he doesn't get the plaudits in other places because he doesn't play "in the best league in the world".

Still for me absolute superstar potential and would be a major coup for our little club.

Simao or Ricardo Queresma

Simao just signed for Besiktas and Quaresma is already there.

Anyway, don't think any of them would be good for Rovers.

Simão is in the descending part of his career, Besiktas failed in England and Italy and can only produce in Turkey.

Gourcuff signed for Lyon for 22million euros in August.

Why are we discussing him as an applicable signing. This is becoming ridiclous now.

Don't think anyone was seriously suggesting signing him; just discussing whether he was a big enough name to be a marquee signing. Personally I don't think so although he might get the younger females in our club drooling.

Archived