[Archived] Blackburn Rovers vs. QPR

Amo

Saturday 8 January 2011

FA CUP 3RD ROUND

2100m5x.png

BLACKBURN ROVERS VS. QUEENS PARK RANGERS

EWOOD PARK

KO: 15:00

Ladies and gentlemen, now that you've all sobered up over the prospect of signing Ronaldinho and our storming win over Liverpool, there is a little matter of the FA Cup Third Round to attend to. Rovers make their debut in this year's tournament against high-flying QPR, who top the Championship table and look a good bet for promotion to the Premier League.

QPR are no strangers to the controversy of new owners, themselves. Co-owned by F1 tycoons Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore, they were also joined in 2007 by steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal (the richest man in Europe, fifth richest in the world), who became the largest shareholder of the club as of Feb 2010. During this time, the club has seen ten managers in four years, but finally they are benefitting from much-needed stability and in Neil Warnock they have a manager who knows the league inside out. He has successfully transformed them from relegation candidates to promotion contenders in under an year.

LAST FIVE HEAD-TO-HEADS:

QPR 0 ROVERS 0 (Nationwide Division 1)

2 Oct 1999

In a bold move by Rovers' boss Brian Kidd, his side started with the Three Stooges in attack (Ward, Blake & Ostenstad). Less surprising was that Rovers only managed one shot on goal in the first 45, which came courtesy of Per Frandsen's effort. QPR dominated the rest of the match and were livid when John Filan only received yellow for a rash tackle on the last man. Filan then went on to have a blinder, much to QPR's chagrin.

ROVERS 0 QPR 2 (Nationwide Division 1)

30 Oct 1999

Brian Kidd's reign at Ewood Park was finally put out of its misery after a crushing 2-0 defeat to QPR. Despite starting out the better side, Rovers conceded to a Stuart Wardley goal five mins before the break, and Hoops striker Kevin Gallen secured the three points in injury time. Kidd was given his marching orders four days later, and Uncle Jack was left to confront his players for failing their former boss.

ROVERS 0 QPR 0 (Nationwide Division 1)

9 Dec 2000

Ludek Miklosko, the hero of Rovers' final day title win of 1995, turned to villain as he kept the visitors out with series of superb saves. Rovers were handed a lifeline when awarded an penalty, but with usual taker Dunn suspended, Matt Jansen stepped up to the spot and was thwarted once again by Miklosko to leave Souey seething.

QPR 1 ROVERS 3 (Nationwide Division 1)

7 Apr 2001

Rovers kept up their promotion push with a convincing win over relegation-threatened QPR. There was a slight scare when defender Chris Plummer gave QPR the lead, heading home after a mistake by Friedel, however, Rovers soon clicked into gear when Dunn equalized and Jansen put Rovers ahead, before Eyal Berkovic wrapped up the win five minutes from time.

ROVERS 3 QPR 0 (FA Cup 3rd Round)

7 Jan 2006

It could be something of an omen that the last time these two sides met one another was in the FA Cup Third Round at Ewood Park. On that day, goals from Andy Todd and a brace from Welsh wonder Craig Bellamy were enough to see us cruise through to the next round. Even a young German winger called Sergio Peter played a key part in every goal.

Rovers will be looking for the same luck this time around and could be boosted by talk that Neil Warnock will rest several key players after four games in nine days for the west London side. With an already depleted squad, and some difficult fixtures ahead, Rovers boss Steve Kean could also hand the baton to several of his fringe players (Goulon, Morris, Linganzi, Doran).

PLAYERS WHO HAVE PLAYED FOR BOTH CLUBS:

Mike Ferguson, Ossie Ardiles, Steven Reid, John Curtis, Darren Peacock, Marcus Bent... and probably many more!

A couple of folks over at QPR Report were gracious enough to field some questions in the build-up to Saturday's game:

Q1. As I type this, QPR are sitting pretty at the top of the Championship table. How do you rate your chances of promotion this season and is the club prepared for Premiership football?

- Being top is beyond our expectations, but not beyond our capabilities this season, I hope we get promoted via the auto spots but if we miss out, It will have been a great season not changing managers all the time and having a good base to build from next season. Most of us want it but will not expect it by right just because we are top now, 20 games to go and all that

- We're going to get promoted. And no we're not prepared for the Premiership football. And the big test will be whether the club owners will genuinely put up the resources in the summer. And whether they'll back Warnock or stab him in the back. To a degree who's really in charge at QPR.

Q2. In recent times, QPR have had a poor record in the FA Cup and haven't got past the 3rd round in ten years. Do you fancy a cup-run this season or would you rather place all your bets on promotion?

- Personally, promotion, last time we lost a cup game this season, we went unbeaten for 19 games, the FA cup is an unwelcome distraction to me.

- (My answer in question five.) But I'm impressed that you know about our awful, terrible, horrendous, no good, cup record.

Q3. Your club is no stranger to the managerial upheaval caused by new owners. What do you make of Blackburn's new owners decision to sack Sam Allardyce half-way through the season?

- With what has been said by your owners this season and what they have done and what they say they will make available for transfers, personally from experience I think they are trying to feed you a ###### sandwich. From the outside it looks like a folly, but I hope I am wrong.

- Insanity. Especially since you were doing fine. And your replacement looks to take you to the relegation zone. (You'll probably axe Kean when that occurs)

Q4. Aside from Adel Taarabt pulling the strings in midfield, what other QPR players should we keep an eye out for on Saturday?

- Faulin and *Walker (if we secure him for the rest of the season)

- Kenny or Cerny our goalie. The well-rested defender, Borrowdale.

* Kyle Walker has since returned to Spurs

2eg4ggg.jpgrtfg9s.jpg2ngvi38.jpg

(Taarabt, left, Faurlin centre, and Borrowdale, right)

Q5. Finally, your prediction for the match?

- 1-1 on the day.

- We don't want a cup run. We're not trying for a cup run. We're going to play many of our lesser players. And we haven't won in the FA Cup since God knows when (many years)...And yet, it's in the Stars. We're going to win.

Thanks for reading and let's look forward to a cup run this season!

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Nice preview, we have to get through this with no more injuries ideally but it will be a tough game so it's a balancing act.

Bunn

Ramm Samba Hanley Morris

Hoilett Linganzi Pedersen Ollson

Diouf Benjani

We don't have too many options really, play Samba to cup tie him as well.

Haha, I like your style Tom ;)

This game has crept up on me - need to get tickets tomorrow. QPR are looking good at the moment, but we should be ok for the win I think. If not, a nice FA Cup replay trip to London :D

Good preview.

Kyle Walker has been on fire and will be a big miss for QPR for the rest of the season. If he plays, Taraabt will be the best player on the park.

My preference would be no or minimal changes from Wednesday- with eight out, it is already nearly a reserve side without playing the Reserves' reserves.

• Backroom

One of my favourite goals ever there, still remember his interview 'I just hit it sometime they end up in the back of the stand' Then he went on to say how there was 11 Rovers on the pitch not just him.

Nice preview, we have to get through this with no more injuries ideally but it will be a tough game so it's a balancing act.

Bunn

Ramm Samba Hanley Morris

Hoilett Linganzi Pedersen Ollson

Diouf Benjani

I'm not sure that cup tying Samba is wise. If he wants to go, then we don't need him around and that will only decrease his value. On the other hand, if we play him and he plays enthusiatically, that should put an end to the rumors that he wants out.

Bunn

Ramm Nelsen Hanley Morris

Gouloun

Hoilett Linganzi Ollson

M. Diouf Samba

I would keep Nelsen at the back, to provide some necessary stability and experience to the younger guys. I would not play Benjani as he worked hard yesterday and is injury prone. Instead I would move Samba forward (if he really wants to stay), and allow him to play a role he should now know very well, bruising target man to allow someone for M. Diouf, and Olson and Hoilet, to play off of.

I know. It's nuts but I'm cranky as there is no beer in the house.

I would use a similar team to those you chose till now

Samba has to play :rolleyes:

Apparently, Blackman came back to ROvers so I think he should start.

I agree, if he's back. But I thought I read that he went to Aberdeen on loan, to the dismay of Motherwell.

Here's the link: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/dons-sign-blackman-1.1078375

There are so many PL v lower league opponents in this year's third round that I expect there will be a few casualties- PL teams played midweek whilst their opponents played Monday and most have lost at least two fixtures through the weather so they are doubly rested.

Could be a good one to win but QPR will give it a real go. Should be a cracker of a match.

I wasn't originally going to go to this but if we're going to play football instead of hoofball I think I'll invest 15 quid.

:tu:

Me too. And I've just had a call from the mate who brings me to and from Ewood to say that, weather permitting [neither of us live locally], he's going; so that's all right! :D

As for which team we put out; well, personally, no disrespect to Bunn; but I'd like to see Fielding play tomorrow.

For me, one of the big mistakes of the 1990s was to retain Flowers and let Given go. I accept he might have left when we got relegated [and I know that we wouldn't have had Brad here] but we could have had arguably one of the most consistent keepers for the last 15 years between our posts. I don't think we'll make the same mistake with Fielding; but I wouldn't like to risk losing him. I saw him a couple of times last season playing for Rochdale and I'd like him to get an opportunity like this.

I'm not sure who else should [will be fit enough] to start but I wouldn't like to see us field too weakened a team. Taking ozziejones' point, it is, after all, probably our best chance of silverware this season!

Besides; won't the game be for the all-India bragging rights between Mittal Steel and Venky's?! ;)

Lawro-

Blackburn v QPR

Wednesday's win over Liverpool was an excellent result for Blackburn and they looked very, very good in that game.

They are up against a QPR team that are top of the Championship but, you have to say, have got bigger fish to fry. Rangers manager Neil Warnock will know that his men are not going to win the FA Cup and, again, it might turn out to be a bit of a hindrance to their promotion hopes this season.

After such a busy Christmas and New Year, Warnock will probably play a few fringe players and Rovers should be just too strong for them.

Prediction: 2-1

Now we are in trouble

If I'm being honest I'm none too bothered about the cup this year.

If the aim really is to try and push as high in the league as possible and with a new footballing ethos I'd far rather we spend time on the training pitch getting that right than preparing for the extra matches.

That said we could give some pitch time to one or two of the younger lads? And also put one or two in the shop window if that's desired.

Bunn

Ramm Hanley Givet Olsson

Hoillet Lingzani Dunn Diouf

MB Diouf Banjoni

Not convinced Mrs D would be happy but I honestly think it would see better results in the league.

Archived