BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea Vs ROVERS

You have to take into account that he was playing the position that he was so poor in under Allardyce. If Santa Cruz was fully match ready I think he would have started the game in his place. If we're against the big sides away from home I can see us harking back to some of the influence left by Allardyce but with Santa Cruz up front.

I've got no problem with that either, I'm pretty sure Allardyce was planning on signing Roque to play that role with Mame and El Hadji Diouf on side of a 4-5-1/4-3-3. Nothing wrong with that sort of formation against the big boys.

Dude, he played in a 4-5-1 against West Brom as well. It's just no excuse. Kalinic does well only if he stays off his ass, which he finds really hard to do.

EDIT: Jesus, getting my games mixed up now :rolleyes:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steven Reid the guy that got sent off within ten minutes of his debut and could hit a shot like a thunderbolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2r1fRd_CQ&feature=related

Yeh he might have worked if he was'nt made of glass.

One of my favourite Rovers goals of all time. Was at that game, New Years Eve 05 if I remember correctly. Remember been stood behind the goal, everybody going crazy when it went in. Was the missus frst game as well, not a bad one to break your duck.

Guest linganzi

I've got this superstitious nature and although I've been to plenty of winning away days I've never seen us win on tv, I blame it on myself , however just saw the goals. First one, deffo not my fault. That was shocking Hahaha

Once again, we were in the game until the opposition scored and then we simply faded away. In fairness, I thought we defended well in the first half, with Nelsen and Givet being outstanding. Hoilett was used in the hole, just behind Kalinic, but didn't get much room in which to work. He looks a better player on the wing but today Kean reverted to the 4-4-1-1 system in an attempt to frustrate Chelsea. It worked for 54 minutes but once Chelsea scored we never looked like getting back into the match.

I thought Roque looked far stronger than Kalinic playing in the lone role up front. Although he was later joined by Roberts in a two man attack, the pair were starved of service. I thought today showed the need for a playmaker in the centre of midfield. With Hoilett playing deeper in a more central role, and Olsson and Biram Diouf having to spend more time defending, we offered little threat down the wings. Dunn looked distinctly off the pace before he was withdrawn and although Lowe did well, neither he nor Pedersen looked capable of making the 'killer' pass that would open up the home defence.

Whilst it was a better away performance than at Sunderland, we still look short in certain areas with the need for a playmaker clearly evident.

I too was furious when Allardyce was sacked and still believe the decision to have been an incorrect one as well as being grossly unfair. However, no amount of whining on here will get the decision reversed so it's time to support the new boss. He is an intelligent and, we are lead to believe, talented man trying to stabilise the club during chaotic times.

Agreed 100%. I'm coming around to the theory that the owners are simply well intentioned amateurs which accounts for their errors (such as Sam's sacking), but are quick studies and really do have the cash for us to progress.

Dude, he played in a 4-5-1 against West Brom as well. It's just no excuse. Kalinic does well only if he stays off his ass, which he finds really hard to do.

EDIT: Jesus, getting my games mixed up now :rolleyes:

I remember it as a 4-4-2 but all you can see from the highlights are Kalinic out wide and 2 corners so I can't tell. I could be wrong.

The point still stands that Kalinic isn't suited to being the lone striker when we aren't going to see much of the ball, he's far better facing the goal.

One of my favourite Rovers goals of all time. Was at that game, New Years Eve 05 if I remember correctly. Remember been stood behind the goal, everybody going crazy when it went in. Was the missus frst game as well, not a bad one to break your duck.

Yes, and I remember us all shouting "Shoot!" just before he pulled the trigger, what a goal, what a day and how good was Bellamy that day also?

Few comments.

Defence overall good, even though Samba at fault for one of the goals, if possible we must do all we can to retain him - for me the day Ryan Nelsen leaves the club will be a very sad one.

Roque showed class when on.

Lack of quality in midfield all too evident again, couple of quality additions would make a massive difference.

Overall, slightly frustrating result as playing a Chelsea team extremely low on confidence.

I've never known a player live off one goal for so long.

As for yesterday's match, you need a big performance from your midfield if you're going to get something against Chelsea. Dunn & Pedersen will never work long-term, and the situation was compounded when Dunn hobbled off for the rookie Lowe. Not only do we need a creative talisman in midfield, but someone who can rattle the opposition and take the game by the scruff of the neck. The sooner we sign someone like Jones, the better.

I've never known a player live off one goal for so long.

Jensen did pretty well off his goal, ask any Arsenal fan who still wear the T Shirt now! LOL

As for yesterday's match, you need a big performance from your midfield if you're going to get something against Chelsea. Dunn & Pedersen will never work long-term, and the situation was compounded when Dunn hobbled off for the rookie Lowe. Not only do we need a creative talisman in midfield, but someone who can rattle the opposition and take the game by the scruff of the neck. The sooner we sign someone like Jones, the better.

Agreed, although I thought Lowe did okay, sounds like Jones is the answer to the lack of steel problem

Have to agree about Lowe, he put in two very good tackles within 5 minutes of coming on and actually looked fit compared to Dunn.

I believe it's already been highlighted, but Givets tackle on Drogba in the 1st half was world class!

Great tackle but offside i thought. Don't know why the linesman missed it and I don't know either why the BBC mob didn't mention it either.

Extrapolated over a 38 game season that makes 44 points (a return under Sam that you'd have shouted from the rooftops) and that during the worst injury situation over the past couple of years.

So with that supposed 'point' you've managed to p!ss all over your own parade.

Well done.

Funny thing that. Sam's teams (just like Bill Shankly's Livvie in the 60's) never had bad injury situations. Illogical maybe but accurate all the same.

Not wishing to carry on Jim et als crusade to discuss the pros and cons of Sam and Kean, but did anyone else feel from watching today's game that we had a better chance of getting back into it under Kean than we would have had under Sam?

Not if you want to compare yesterdays match with our match against the same opposition two months ago at ewood when Chelsea were sitting clear at the top of the table. We were extremely unlucky to lose and unfortunate not to win!

Surely that should be the first and most meaningful comparison?

Steven Reid the guy that got sent off within ten minutes of his debut and could hit a shot like a thunderbolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2r1fRd_CQ&feature=related

Yeh he might have worked if he was'nt made of glass.

Great shot that will live long in the memory.

BUT

Before we get all misty eyed lets rem that he only managed to middle it once in his entire rovers career. :rolleyes:

Not if you want to compare yesterdays match with our match against the same opposition two months ago at ewood when Chelsea were sitting clear at the top of the table. We were extremely unlucky to lose and unfortunate not to win!

Surely that should be the first and most meaningful comparison?

No

How can you compare a home against an away game !!!!

No

And yes, in that at home we still got beat but we did score a goal. Seriously, Gordon, how can you even think of comparing a home game where we have rarely lost in the last few seasons to an away game where we have rarely won in the last few seasons. Or were you just stirring again? :)

Funny thing that. Sam's teams (just like Bill Shankly's Livvie in the 60's) never had bad injury situations. Illogical maybe but accurate all the same.

From all accounts Shankly refused to speak to any injured player and just cut them dead ! The minute they reported fit normal srvice would be resumed. I wonder how he would have got on with Grella !

No

errr.... Might the same players, with two goals on about 7000 sq yards of grass have something to do with it? :rolleyes: **

(And before anybody else steps in please note that a daft question merits a daft answer!)

Berkshire blue it is certainly and surely far more relevent than Tris, beerwins, his dad and Uncle Tom Cobley et al eulogising about our performance against a bottom third outfit with a manager way past his sell by date and attempting to compare that to our performance v the Champions and at the time runaway leaders of the division. Obvious to the proverbial Stan Ternent special.

**btw Note the same two players scored against us too! :( A strong coincidence and an impossible comparison cos they don't play for Livvie do they?

From all accounts Shankly refused to speak to any injured player and just cut them dead ! The minute they reported fit normal srvice would be resumed. I wonder how he would have got on with Grella !

I've a feeling that the Anfield Iron and Big Ron might have had a private word or two in our Vince's shell like before Shanks actually put a contract out on his head.

Proper footy! Proper men! Just proper.

errr.... Might the same players, with two goals on about 7000 sq yards of grass have something to do with it? :rolleyes: **

(And before anybody else steps in please note that a daft question merits a daft answer!)

There's just no point in anybody having a discussion with you.

Interesting comment here Topman and ties in to a thought of mine that just doesn't seem to have been brought up on here over the last season or so (IMO).

There has been countless discussion re Big Sam not having a plan B etc but the one thing that had me thinking is why we seem to just countlessly give in to the so called big teams away from home ( and so called lesser teams sometimes) - forget the amount of money spent etc as everybody knows its all about performance on the day.

It would appear that we just can't see to raise our game to a higher level/give that extra determination,fight or train of thought to produce results as a 'one off' - by this I mean results like cup games or the WBA at Aresnal & Wolves at Liverpool, Sunderland at Chelski for example.

There appears to be a bar and we just can't seem/have the effort or mentality to go beyond it (or believe we can).

We havent had a central midfielder of any note since Tugay. Even at 37, he was still far and away our best centre mid. This has to be the absolute highest priority for Keane to address and the signs are looking good so far.

Jones come in. Academy lads given run outs and hopefully charlie to come in. I'd say that would represent an incredible transfer window if it can all be pulled off.

Re: Chelsea. I thought we looked very dangerous first half. I was sat with a couple of guys who work for Chelsea and they were genuinely full of praise for how we played in the first half. We looked the more dangerous team on the counter and were dealing defensively well with the champions.

The more I see of Steve Keanes tactics, the more I like.

Give him another few months on the training field instilling pass and move and we could be in for one hell of a season next year.

The other thing I really like and this is where he differs mostly with Sam - is his willingness for players to have a go. If they make a mistake, they are willed on to try again (Hoillet) Under Sam, he was always furious if we ever gave the ball away whilst trying something difficult. I will always support Sam for saving our club, but its definitely time to get totally behind the new man!

Re: Chelsea. I thought we looked very dangerous first half. I was sat with a couple of guys who work for Chelsea and they were genuinely full of praise for how we played in the first half. We looked the more dangerous team on the counter and were dealing defensively well with the champions.

The more I see of Steve Keanes tactics, the more I like.

Give him another few months on the training field instilling pass and move and we could be in for one hell of a season next year.

The other thing I really like and this is where he differs mostly with Sam - is his willingness for players to have a go.

My thoughts exactly :tu:

Not when I'm right there isn't! Well spotted XLM. Saves lots of wasted time and needless arguing. I wish more posters were like you. :tu:

I could think of another, more apt way to put it, famously stated by a certain Mark Twain...

Archived