BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Return - Done Deal

Glenn

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah all this "top player when fit" stuff is rubbish.

9 seasons at Bayern.

Played more than 30 games in four of them. You must be pretty fit if you're playing 30 games in a season.

Never scored more than 7 goals (or 5 league goals) in any of those 9 seasons.

One great season with Rovers. 10 goals in 51 appearances in the two and a half seasons since.

Not remotely excited about this. Only thing is that he is on loan, and he can finish pretty well, but I very much doubt we'll get a repeat of the one good season he's had his entire career.

Do you two not have eyes? Did his first season totally pass you by? The guy oozed class.

You do realise we're not getting in a 23 year old don't you?

We're getting in a 29 year old with a track record of failure at the top level of English and German football for 10 seasons, with one season which was an exception.

Did you see Michael Ricketts' season for Bolton when he scored 20 goals and got called up to the England squad?

Provided he doesn't get injured in the warm-up there's no point playing Roque without Olsson and /or Pedersen plus Hoilett to supply the crosses. Hendry was a notable exception but players returning to their former clubs rarely works out.

Klinsmann and Sheringham at Spurs. Juninho at Boro. Peter Crouch at Pompey. Martin Keown Arsenal.Hughes Man Utd. Jermaine DeFoe Spurs. Dunn Blackburn. Had a good season last year considering his fitness problems.

These are just a couple I can think of. Again your point has very little substance

How utterly pathetic, pantomime villain culture at its worst.*

He didn't 'turn his back' on us. Does every departing player automatically become a hate figure now? We got offered ridiculous money that we were probably all too happy to take.

He probably roughly trebled his money going to City, do you honestly think he should have turned it down?

*apologies if it's a joke!

Top post.

Klinsmann and Sheringham at Spurs. Juninho at Boro. Peter Crouch at Pompey. Martin Keown Arsenal.Hughes Man Utd. Jermaine DeFoe Spurs. Dunn Blackburn. Had a good season last year considering his fitness problems.

These are just a couple I can think of. Again your point has very little substance

All diminished players in their second life compared with their first.

Next.

Yeah all this "top player when fit" stuff is rubbish.

9 seasons at Bayern.

Played more than 30 games in four of them. You must be pretty fit if you're playing 30 games in a season.

Never scored more than 7 goals (or 5 league goals) in any of those 9 seasons.

One great season with Rovers. 10 goals in 51 appearances in the two and a half seasons since.

Not remotely excited about this. Only thing is that he is on loan, and he can finish pretty well, but I very much doubt we'll get a repeat of the one good season he's had his entire career.

If you used your eyes as opposed to your statistics you would realise that his all round game is of the highest quality, and easily above what we have now.

His goal scoring season for us may have been a one off, but in his role as a target man he is absolutely top drawer.

Nico and Roque up front, nice. Hope Hoillet can continue his good form, whipping balls in from the right, Olsson on the left doing the same. Good! :rover:

Exactly!! That's what we need right now and I am in the mood to forgive and forget. I was as angry as any on here at the way he went about getting his transfer. But I am also now sure that the experience at City has really taught him a very hard lesson, and now I believe that he genuinely and deeply regrets leaving Rovers. That is where he fits in and where he can feel at home and wanted if people will just let him.

So come on everyone give the man the benefit of the doubt and simply keep an open mind. If you can't actually welcome him back just see how he does in the first few matches and please DONT boo him.....you all know that will not do anyone any good.

Can't believe the negativity on here

He is fit currently but he is just not in the first 4 choice of strikers at city

Sell a player for a fortune then borrow him back less than 2 years later

RSC is a class act and if he passes his medical will be a great addition

If you used your eyes as opposed to your statistics you would realise that his all round game is of the highest quality, and easily above what we have now.

His goal scoring season for us may have been a one off, but in his role as a target man he is absolutely top drawer.

Santa was always in the team primarily as a goalscorer. He helped set up one or two goals but he didn't have the all round game that, say, Bellamy did.

If we want a target man who can't put the ball in the net we might aswell stick with Roberts.

All diminished players in their second life compared with their first.

Next.

All of them Jim? I dont think so, I think you need to look at their stats after returning. Defoe, Hughes, Klinsmann, Keown, and Juninho were argueblly better second time around.

Next

He didn't 'turn his back' on us.

How else would you describe it when someone who had just signed a new contract, then as soon as he was told his old boss wanted him [in other words, got tapped up] continually used foreign radio stations to tell the world he was intent on leaving, - even though rovers wanted him to stay. On top of that, there were plenty of posters on here who accused him of missing games here in order to stay fit enough for City.

That's what happened with Rocky.

He's better than what we've got. He was great at Rovers and is an improvement on our team.

So what if he left before, he got us £17.5m which pretty much helped keep our club in the top division.

God knows what would have happened to our club if we didn't get that kinda money which allowed us to keep our other best players and able to pay the huge wage bills we had.

Rocky, if you come back, you will be welcomed with open arms. We all make mistakes but the important thing is that you've come home.

All of them Jim? I dont think so, I think you need to look at their stats after returning. Defoe, Hughes, Klinsmann, Keown, and Juninho were argueblly better second time around.

Next

Defoe has done well but I would argue about the others.

Next.

Archived