BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Board Changes

benhben

I am afraid it is true.

It is an utter disgrace.

All Rovers fans owe John Williams the most enormous debt of gratitude for how he has guided the Rovers over the past 13 years.

My thoughts about the new ownership are unprintable.

We get your thoughts on the owners, being as you seem to post your thoughts at every possible chance.

Venky's have put a yes man in charge of the Rovers dressing room so it's not surprise they also want a boardroom full of lackeys. Supporters groups will look on this latest development with dismay.

That will be the yes man who has us in the top half of the league then, if Williams is going then it is not a great surprise, he has been a background figure since the takeover and especially during this transfer window.

He did a great job while working under sometimes dificult circumstances during the Walker Trust years, I wish him well in the future, but we move on.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For years JW was synonymous with running one of the tightest ships in football. He took "punching above our weight" and turned it into the expected norm. He took a heavily subsidised club and fulfilled Jack's wish of "washing our own face in public" by making it almost self sufficient, maintaining our premiership status when other clubs with reduced funding spiralled downwards. He was often held aloft as the best example in the Premier League of how a football club should be run and any fan who has ever dealt with him will know he has a unique and refreshing way of dealing with "customer service" and he genuinely loves this club.

In my eyes, if we're looking at the club's sustained progression, he was the club's single biggest asset and if his departure is anything his own choice and Venky's didn't fight tooth and nail to keep him and utilise him, then, in my opinion, they have been very naive and lack foresight. They will have just done the equivalent to taking over Barcelona and deciding Messi can go on a bosman.

Yes with new owners comes a change in personnel, but you normally keep the valued assets and replace those who you can find better for,

Oh ... and we're not being slack with the news on this ... we've had somebody on the story since lunchtime, but for once we're not saying anything until it's officially confirmed.

I am afraid it is true.

It is an utter disgrace.

All Rovers fans owe John Williams the most enormous debt of gratitude for how he has guided the Rovers over the past 13 years.

My thoughts about the new ownership are unprintable.

Stunning !

I cannot believe this is manner that Venky's have stamped their mark onto BRFC! All Rovers' supporters own Mr. Williams a huge debt of gratitude for his fine stewardship of the club. His strength helped the Rovers' immensely in the wake of Sir Jack's demise and gave Rovers the stablity necessary to move forward after that great hammer blow of losing our patron.

I wish him the utmost in his future endeavors -- may they be as fulfilling to him as he was to the Blackburn Rovers FC family!

For years JW was synonymous with running one of the tightest ships in football. He took "punching above our weight" and turned it into the expected norm. He took a heavily subsidised club and fulfilled Jack's wish of "washing our own face in public" by making it almost self sufficient, maintaining our premiership status when other clubs with reduced funding spiralled downwards. He was often held aloft as the best example in the Premier League of how a football club should be run and any fan who has ever dealt with him will know he has a unique and refreshing way of dealing with "customer service" and he genuinely loves this club.

In my eyes, if we're looking at the club's sustained progression, he was the club's single biggest asset and if his departure is anything his own choice and Venky's didn't fight tooth and nail to keep him and utilise him, then, in my opinion, they have been very naive and lack foresight. They will have just done the equivalent to taking over Barcelona and deciding Messi can go on a bosman.

Yes with new owners comes a change in personnel, but you normally keep the valued assets and replace those who you can find better for,

Oh ... and we're not being slack with the news on this ... we've had somebody on the story since lunchtime, but for once we're not saying anything until it's officially confirmed.

Well said Glenn. Is there any way BRFCS can do something to express the fans' best wishes eg get a copy of this thread to JW?

Did as much in his time for the club as the 'public' faces (Souness, Hughes, Allardyce etc).

Well said, Glenn! Best wishes to Mr. Williams and his family. Thank you for all your hard work.

I actually feel sick to my stomach! havent felt this way about our club since Uncle Jack died (RIP). I am seething that the had the balls to do this.

VENKYS OUT - SAYED we will welcome you back with open arms!

I am actually so f**king angry right now

NEW Blackburn owner Anuradha Desai has wielded the axe again as long-serving chairman John Williams left the club last night.

The Indian poultry tycoon sacked manager Sam Allardyce a few weeks after Venky's took control at Ewood Park.

And Williams became the latest victim as he agreed a severance package yesterday during Mrs Desai's first visit to Lancashire.

He has just started his 14th year at the helm at Blackburn and has been widely respected for steering the club through some tough times following the death of previous owner Jack Walker.

But he was unhappy that he was made to do the dirty work by delivering the bad news to Big Sam back in December.

He decided to stay on in the aftermath and even urged concerned fans to rally behind the new owners - but then found himself increasingly marginalised. SEM agent Jerome Anderson has been calling the shots since the takeover and Williams found he was hardly consulted on transfer dealings.

He was also barely involved as the appointment of replacement boss Steve Kean - initially as caretaker - became permanent last month.

On the eve of the takeover, Mrs Desai insisted the current management team would stay the same for the foreseeable future. But just 11 weeks later, both chairman and manager have gone.

And the exit of the popular Williams will be a disappointment to Rovers supporters who liked him and appreciated his efforts for their club.

NEW Blackburn owner Anuradha Desai has wielded the axe again as long-serving chairman John Williams left the club last night.

The Indian poultry tycoon sacked manager Sam Allardyce a few weeks after Venky's took control at Ewood Park.

And Williams became the latest victim as he agreed a severance package yesterday during Mrs Desai's first visit to Lancashire.

He has just started his 14th year at the helm at Blackburn and has been widely respected for steering the club through some tough times following the death of previous owner Jack Walker.

But he was unhappy that he was made to do the dirty work by delivering the bad news to Big Sam back in December.

He decided to stay on in the aftermath and even urged concerned fans to rally behind the new owners - but then found himself increasingly marginalised. SEM agent Jerome Anderson has been calling the shots since the takeover and Williams found he was hardly consulted on transfer dealings.

He was also barely involved as the appointment of replacement boss Steve Kean - initially as caretaker - became permanent last month.

On the eve of the takeover, Mrs Desai insisted the current management team would stay the same for the foreseeable future. But just 11 weeks later, both chairman and manager have gone.

And the exit of the popular Williams will be a disappointment to Rovers supporters who liked him and appreciated his efforts for their club.

Show some respect FFS John Williams has done a massive amount for Blackburn Rovers. He has also been there for the fans, replying to emails and answering questions off the record and with complete honesty.

I agree entirely, and can't thank him enough. However, the 'grow up' comment was at the guy saying he wants Syed...pretty random, mindless comment if you ask me. I'm sure MeanGreenMachine appreciates JW as much as the next person

Really disappointed with this change.

As quite a few people said... it was inevitable, but still in some state of shock! Mr Williams was a gentleman who guided this club impeccably during his term as Chairman.

There is no doubt personal circumstances was the main motivation with his decision. From what I gathered he really enjoyed his work and would have made a conscious effort to look at the club before making this move.

It feels like I am preparing an obituary when I type this. Gone he might be, but as a person and his efforts and strong work ethic he put into Rovers won't. Missed already and hope we.don't live to regret this decision.

I'm only shocked he stuck around (and/or was kept around) this long. JW = a true servant to the club and, at the same time, totally representative of a past era at Rovers.

Venky's are a new chapter and seem intent on emphasising this. What lies ahead for us remains to be seen, but it has no doubt been an uncomfortable transition.

All the best JW.

I agree entirely, and can't thank him enough. However, the 'grow up' comment was at the guy saying he wants Syed...pretty random, mindless comment if you ask me. I'm sure MeanGreenMachine appreciates JW as much as the next person

Maybe the poster should defend his own actions, obviously hasnt much of a brain if all he can add is "grow up"

Who knows what Syed might have brought to the table, at least now we all know what Venkys have brought...nothing much. So much for their marquee signing, so much for JW, so much for Allardyce!

Are you kidding, Venky's have brought nothing much? Did you just see that transfer window, the lift in performance on the paddock and the clearing of debts?

JW is a legend of the club and it is sorry to see him go, if it was for personal reasons as some seem to suggest and seems the likely outcome of this then best of luck in his personal and future professional life.

Are you kidding, Venky's have brought nothing much? Did you just see that transfer window, the lift in performance on the paddock and the clearing of debts?

JW is a legend of the club and it is sorry to see him go, if it was for personal reasons as some seem to suggest and seems the likely outcome of this then best of luck in his personal and future professional life.

Agreed.

Venkys could stand outside Ewood handing out cash to the poor and still people would find a reason to dislike them.

If JW has left by mutual consent, its disappointing but not the end of the bloody world. On a salary of £350,000 per annum his severance deal will see him ok for years to come.

Agreed.

Venkys could stand outside Ewood handing out cash to the poor and still people would find a reason to dislike them.

If JW has left by mutual consent, its disappointing but not the end of the bloody world. On a salary of £350,000 per annum his severance deal will see him ok for years to come.

the club was run amazingly with JW at the helm, if people can't see the real danger that this leaves us in, they need to open their eyes. Im not anti venky's, im totally anti jerome anderson! and as far as i can see he is calling the shots at ewood now and to be honest with you that scares me ALOT!!!

JW always responded to my emails, be it through his PA or himself. This is a sad day, not just because he is leaving, but because he takes with him a wealth of experience.

Where does this leave Tom Finn? Will he follow JW out, or will Venkys do what they did with Kean, and move him in as chairman.

Will Jerome Anderson move into that role, and leave his Sem/Kentaro business. This is the scary bit imo, and something i said could easily happen.

Excellent summary Glenn. He could always be relied upon to talk sense and add perspective. I hoped it wouldn't happen but it's not really a surprise. Whatever he chooses to do, I wish him great success.

So bizarre to see Tom Finn standing next to a signing Formica one day and to hear of John Williams departing the next.

I hope, for the sake of the club, JW does an interview in the LT to explain any personal reasons why he has left.

As someone has said once again bad PR, a poor way (from public perception) to treat a respected football man (again), and bad timing right before an important game.

Thanks for everything John, hope you got a tidy severance package.

My original post http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/24054-board-changes/page__view__findpost__p__1023910

I thought i would add this but for the person who said about Jerome Anderson becoming chairman that would make it illegal under the FA or premier league rules because there is part that states that you can not just use one agency firm which he would be bias towards his own firm.

LASTLY i would like to re add my gratitude to JW for his service to the club and all the best in the future because of what i said in my original post

Maybe the poster should defend his own actions, obviously hasnt much of a brain if all he can add is "grow up"

Who knows what Syed might have brought to the table, at least now we all know what Venkys have brought...nothing much. So much for their marquee signing, so much for JW, so much for Allardyce!

Syed? You mean the dodgey bloke with closed down offices and the police in his wake?

Sorry did you expect JW to be here till he dies or something? He has done a good job but times changes and things move on. Even though he has been given little power for the past few months we have had one of our best transfer windows in years, a bright young manager who has got the team playing football and a squad who seem committed to the cause.

But no rar rar rar venkys out! They have no idea! Chicken farmers! Lets protest! :rolleyes:

Phillip, wind your neck in and don't use this as part of your anti venky campaign,

He is entitled to his opinion. He isn't alone. This was evident before the game on Wednesday, when in response to the tannoy plea of "Let's give Venkys a huge Ewood Park welcome!," there was, at best, a lukewarm reception from the fans! Williams leaving does nothing to curtail the Venkys scepticism!

Putting the above to one side, it's sad to see John Williams go. He has done a great job and seemed a very down to earth chap. I spoke with somebody who wrote a letter to JW a couple of years ago having a rant about the style of football Big Sam was playing. JW arranged him an appointment and saw him in person. I also recall going to Vetra Vilnius in the Intertoto Cup, there were a few of us having a kickaround on the astro turf behind the net after the game. JW came over to thank the Rovers fans who had made the trip, and briefly joined in the kickaround! Not many premier league chairmen would do these kind of things.

Archived