BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v West Brom

cruz

Dont be daft there were plenty of long balls played today.

Also I noticed MGP taking long throws again and Robbo even took a free kick from close to the half way line... something that Kean appeared to have binned when he first took over presumably on the basis of political ewpedience.

Yes - but there is nothing wrong with either tactic - as long as it is mixed up - which we did on the whole today (though went a little too direct at times in the 2nd half).

Overall - a fair performance - but we still managed to make WBA look good at times by giving them too much room in midfield. It is amazing that we are playing a far more attacking game - and yet it is the defenders who are really doing the business - giving the opportunity for Hoilett etc to really shine. Our defensive midfield looked slightly better with Jones - but we were still too easily exposed at times.

MGP - he adds a lot as a team player - and his covering for Olsson's runs were first class. But today - if you took that away - I thought he was poor.

Dunn - too slow - caught in possession numerous times.

Hoilett - showed some good touches - not his best game of recent times - but what a goal - and as remarked worries defenders all the time.

RSC - just a class act

Kalanic - showed some promise of a partnership with RSC - and did better than Roberts.

Samba & Givet - first class

Robinson - can't be many better keepers in the EPL on current form.

I feel we are getting the rub of the green at the moment - maybe Kean is that most important of managers - a lucky one :-)

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont be daft there were plenty of long balls played today.

Also I noticed MGP taking long throws again and Robbo even took a free kick from close to the half way line... something that Kean appeared to have binned when he first took over presumably on the basis of political ewpedience.

What game where you watching i think you need to go to rehab to have Sam removed from your system because you talk utter rubbish.We now have people not affraid to play football the propper way and forwards recieving the ball facing the goal and also enjoying having possesion.There where a couple of long throws and i think one free kick by Robinson but i think your clutching at straws if you can't see the difference between now and six weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Cruel of Sky to ask Sam to comment on the match seeing he must still be hurt by his unjust dismissal at Ewood. Must also have been tough for him to see the team he created move up to 7th knowing that he should be in charge and receiving the plaudits. Thought he spoke well on Sky. The man remains a class act.

You weren't there? I thought you were a die hard ST holder.

I wonder how Allardyce would have fared with the same level of support from the board? Lest we forget he had to sell Santa Cruz.

Cruel of Sky to ask Sam to comment on the match seeing he must still be hurt by his unjust dismissal at Ewood. Must also have been tough for him to see the team he created move up to 7th knowing that he should be in charge and receiving the plaudits. Thought he spoke well on Sky. The man remains a class act.

Cruel, really? If he was bothered about it he clearly didnt let it show. Just pocketed his fee from Sky for the appearance.

The team Sam created? He signed Salgado, Givet and Kalinic out of the starting XI, that hardly constitutes creating a team.

I don't want to understate the job he did, and his comments to day were very respectful considering the way he was treated, but he did not create the team.

What game where you watching i think you need to go to rehab to have Sam removed from your system because you talk utter rubbish.We now have people not affraid to play football the propper way and forwards recieving the ball facing the goal and also enjoying having possesion.There where a couple of long throws and i think one free kick by Robinson but i think your clutching at straws if you can't see the difference between now and six weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Most ouf our chances in the opening 30 minutes or so came from the 'couple of long throws'.

I'm sure it's tough for Woy watching his side beat Wolves yesterday, I think you would agree that the credit for all future victories rest with Woy not Kenny.

On a serious note it was interesting to hear Sam say that he plays a certain way based on the players he has at his disposal, bet he was surprised to see us pass the ball on the deck.

Yes - but there is nothing wrong with either tactic - as long as it is mixed up - which we did on the whole today (though went a little too direct at times in the 2nd half).

Overall - a fair performance - but we still managed to make WBA look good at times by giving them too much room in midfield. It is amazing that we are playing a far more attacking game - and yet it is the defenders who are really doing the business - giving the opportunity for Hoilett etc to really shine. Our defensive midfield looked slightly better with Jones - but we were still too easily exposed at times.

MGP - he adds a lot as a team player - and his covering for Olsson's runs were first class. But today - if you took that away - I thought he was poor.

Dunn - too slow - caught in possession numerous times.

Hoilett - showed some good touches - not his best game of recent times - but what a goal - and as remarked worries defenders all the time.

RSC - just a class act

Kalanic - showed some promise of a partnership with RSC - and did better than Roberts.

Samba & Givet - first class

Robinson - can't be many better keepers in the EPL on current form.

I feel we are getting the rub of the green at the moment - maybe Kean is that most important of managers - a lucky one :-)

A point that I've made many times in the past.

Good post but we appeared to give WBA too much room only because they had 5 across midfield and were intent on stifling us.

Agreed. Only Sam would have the ego to on National TV and analyse a team he was sacked from managing just 5 short weeks ago.

Other people would respectfully decline but then again they are not self-indulgent 'look at me' types who crave media attention.

I particularly liked his little fairytale where he (YET AGAIN) tried to paint his long ball image as a myth perpetuated by jealous managers. (You know, the sycophants who all came out in his defence because they realised they will have to fight for the 3 points at their place next season). How dare they criticise The Big Sam. I almost choked on my post-match nutty black.

Deserved 3 points. West Brom made nice pretty triangles in the centre of the park but wouldn't have scored had we played on all week.Wasn't Hoillet's goal soooo lucky Jim? :blink:

Does your seat face the pitch? :rolleyes:

There was indeed some good play but don't kid yourself there were lots of long balls all the same. Also before you get carried away there were lots of unforced errors and wayward passes too. I noticed much negative play too including a number of instances of passing back to the defenders from attacking positions in the 2nd half. I've no problem with this cos retaining posession is a sign of professionalism but I do rem when we were 3-0 up against Wigan a chorus of booing greeting one such move late in the game. Funny thing the mind isn't it bep?

If we would of had olsson playing on the left wing today as well as hoilett on the right, we would of absolutely murdered them, shame he had to play left back.

It appears that you edited this sweet.... I'm speechless.

I didn't catch Sam's comments pre-match, would have been interested to hear what he had to say. I'm sure he didn't think it was cruel of Sky to ask him on :lol:

Thought Jones had a solid debut, much more steel in midfield than there has been. As a result, Dunn had a bit more licence to be creative. If he can stay fit and in the team for a run of games he may yet recapture some form.

Santa Cruz just oozed quality. Lovely drop of the shoulder to allow the ball to run across on to his left foot and smash in a shot during the first half. If Man City want to shift him in the summer we should bite their hand off (fitness provided, of course).

Next home game is a tough one (Spurs) but if we keep to the same level we can hopefully stop in the top half for a few games. Lots of teams with games in hand though but points on the board is what matters.

Enjoyed the game today, thought we played some super stuff at times. WBA had a go but I never felt like we were in any danger.

Today for me highlighted all that is good and bad about our squad/team.

There were clear glimpses of a promising future today - Olsson & Hoilett (new contract ASAP please) are going to terrorise the prem. Good to see they're great mates off the pitch as well.

Thought Dunn had his best game for a long time but he'd run out of puff by the time he went off. On the flip side, Pedersen had an absolute shocker but did cover Olsson's runs well. In fact Pedersen is a puzzling one, he has signed a new deal but I just can't see where he would fit in the team if we get some more players in - Olssen is better than him out wide, his passing range isn't good enough for him to sit there, he's not skillfull enough to dribble through the middle and he certainly can't play the defensive mid role. Good player for the bench though.

Jones did well - will be the best of our defensive mids by a mile - Keep Nzonzi - the rest can go.

We need another left back. Olssen is wasted there and Givet is miles better at CB.

Santa Cruz was effective, which brings me to Kalinic.

I really want the lad to do well but for me he just isn't the answer up front. I'd much rather have MB Diouf.

Roberts showed why we'd be better off without him, madness to keep him IMO

What is still blatantly obvious though is that creative spark in the middle.

If we can bring in someone of Rocky's quality to lead the line and find a 21 year old Dunn to play behind him - with Olssen and Hoilett out wide. A good passer to sit deep with Jones then we would have a hell of an exciting side.

On the manager front I thought he did ok with his subs Nzonzi for Dunn was correct but he should have moved Pedersen out wide - not put Nzonzi there.

Good move taking off Salgado, he was struggling but in fairness he was left isolated by Hoilett not always tracking back.

Personally thought MB Diouf should have been on instead of Roberts though.

Good to see that Kean isn't totally against lobbing it into the mixer - it can be effective if used sparingly.

Happy days though - Can't believe we're seventh.

In a typical Sam game we would play long balls consistently and on occasion you might see some passing on the deck. Kean has been in charge for 7 pl games and it's going to take much longer than that to change the way we have played for two years, however there are still signs that there is more emphasis on wing play and passing and moving on the deck- long may it continue, maybe the Raos made a good call hiring Kean after all ;

....he was picked at left midfield, not the middle. He roamed inside too often on his own account. Besides, he's been playing centre mid for a while now, have you not noticed?

[/quote

yes I had noticed and today with Dunn playing just behind the front two both wide midfeild players had to play narrow.

If he plays out wide amd lose the ball people are there to cover, if he does that in the in the middle a great deal more harm can be caused.

There was indeed some good play but don't kid yourself there were lots of long balls all the same. Also before you get carried away there were lots of unforced errors and wayward passes too. I noticed much negative play too including a number of instances of passing back to the defenders from attacking positions in the 2nd half. I've no problem with this cos retaining posession is a sign of professionalism but I do rem when we were 3-0 up against Wigan a chorus of booing greeting one such move late in the game. Funny thing the mind isn't it bep?

Certainly does face the pitch now six weeks ago it faced the sky ,there is some long balls but unlike before they are directed to players not space there lies the difference.Yes we passed back when players where closed down but our overall football is 100% better i have watched Rovers for 50 plus years and can honestly say the football served up under Alardyce was terrible and if you found it good then we live on different planets.Yes there was wayward passes but i would rather watch a missplaced pass than a ball just launched ,it's also refreshing to hear players now saying they are enjoying playing the style of football we are trying to play .

Fair play to him for being civil, but the football we've played in the last month is superior to anything Allardyce ever produced in his time at Ewood. Sure, the manner of his dismissal was unfortunate but we had stalled and grown stale under Allardyce and a change, regardless of the replacement, was overdue.

I can't believe those on here still moaning and wanting back what Sam provided. A Chelsea-supporting friend of mine used to watch Rovers when Chelsea was not on to keep me company. Always said the football was dire and boring to watch. Congratulated me today saying "must be nice to finally get to see some football again for change, huh?". Sums it up for me really. Both games against West Brom and the win against Liverpool were great entertainment also for the neutral eye - whereas with Sam at the helm I doubt many would call what was on display "entertainment". Off course we would call it "great" when we won but that is because you always get behind the team and the manager or what?

Great performance today and anyone claiming it was anything but a deserved win should get both their eyes and head checked. We're not Barcelona or even Arsenal, but now at least we TRY to play decent football. Another point is that the majority of goals since Kean took over has been from open play - not from setplays or scrambles in the box.

Just take a look at Liverpool. They have a squad that cost a lot more than ours and even som "world-class" players in there...still....only managed one win since Dalglish took over and even when winning this weekend they were a bore to watch compared to earlier seasons. We should be happy if not extatic for what is being served! Even through a televison set you can see that the players seem more happy with what is being asked of them. Well done Kean and all the players - also all of you fortunate enough to be attending and singing. :rover:

Agreed. Only Sam would have the ego to on National TV and analyse a team he was sacked from managing just 5 short weeks ago.

Other people would respectfully decline but then again they are not self-indulgent 'look at me' types who crave media attention.

I particularly liked his little fairytale where he (YET AGAIN) tried to paint his long ball image as a myth perpetuated by jealous managers. (You know, the sycophants who all came out in his defence because they realised they will have to fight for the 3 points at their place next season). How dare they criticise The Big Sam. I almost choked on my post-match nutty black.

Deserved 3 points. West Brom made nice pretty triangles in the centre of the park but wouldn't have scored had we played on all week.Wasn't Hoillet's goal soooo lucky Jim? :blink:

Er...I'm fairly sure he was ASKED to come on by Sky, that's how it usually works.

And he was very complimentary about our club and about our performance today.

You really are an oddball.

It appears that you edited this sweet.... I'm speechless.

Jesus christ, get a life pal. I edited the post, as I realised as soon as I had posted it, that I had misspelt Hoilett. I did not re-read the the post though. Having re-read the post, I am now aware it doesn't read brilliatly. BIG DEAL, mistakes happen when you rush typing something!!

Guess what, I have just re-read my post and have realised I have spelt brilliantly wrong, but I'm not going to change it - don't s**t yourself over it though!!!!

Er...I'm fairly sure he was ASKED to come on by Sky, that's how it usually works.

And he was very complimentary about our club and about our performance today.

Spot on.

Sam is a class act and widely respected - we have much to thank him for.

Jesus christ, get a life pal. I edited the post, as I realised as soon as I had posted it, that I had misspelt Hoilett. I did not re-read the the post though. Having re-read the post, I am now aware it doesn't read brilliatly. BIG DEAL, mistakes happen when you rush typing something!!

Guess what, I have just re-read my post and have realised I have spelt brilliantly wrong, but I'm not going to change it - don't s**t yourself over it though!!!!

:rolleyes:

I view Fat Sam as a despicable human being.

what an odd thing to say. Can you explain why?

Good result, we got lucky but just about deserved the win on the balance of the play.

Jones was okay, did a decent job and didn't do much wrong so a successful debut in my book. Didn't get the decision to give him the MOM but the Peter Jackson MOMs are often bizzare selections.

Robbo, Samba and Hoillett all gave great performances. RSC showed some nice touches.

That win should really see us safe; we've got a nice cushion between us and the drop zone and 9 points from the relegation zone. We really should be looking up now instead of down. There's a few fixtures coming up: Wigan away, Newcastle home, Villa away, Fulham away that could easily go one way or another.

If we do well in them then we could be hunting down a European place, Sunderland are the only realistic side who are above us and they've just lost Darren Bent so those six points could be made up.

Bit optimistic eh, Europe??

I think Jones offered something we have lacked even if he did mistime some tackles. I really enjoyed a commited midfield performance, a tackler, he will mistime tackles but if anything you want proper commitment from players who platy in that role.

West Brom must hate playing us. Historically we have always done well against them and this season we have had 2 lucky wins over them. Robinson was undoubtedly man of the match today for a string of outstanding saves that kept us in the match. Hoilett looks a potential star in the making and enjoyed Santa Cruz's touches with his back to goal. Unlucky not to score too.

The away game yes although I feel you need to say it was a great performance from Mark Bunn. Today I'm sorry nut your being controversial for the sake of it. Robbos early save was important but we deserved it today and we played enjoyable football as well.

Archived