BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] HTC Desire?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is actually one limit to GiffGaff''s "unlimited" daya, you can't use it to tether (i.e. hook your phone up to a PC and use it as a modem) because that potentially uses colossal amount of data.

It works for me. I'm using usb tethering with my Wildfire on giffgaff at the moment as my microfilter is dead. It is very slow probably because the 3G reception isn't great here, bit like being on dial up again. :)

It works for me. I'm using usb tethering with my Wildfire on giffgaff at the moment as my microfilter is dead. It is very slow probably because the 3G reception isn't great here, bit like being on dial up again. :)

It works, there is nothing stopping it. However, it is against their T&C's and they *could* charge you for the data.

i figured out that giffgaff cant actually prove youve tethered..

basically i downloaded over 20gb using my desire and wildfire in the space of one month.. i was hammering the torrents with my torrent app...

anyway, i got an email advising me that it was against the rules to tether... funny thing is, i wasnt tethering.. dont even own a pc or laptop to tether too lol.. so i worked out that once u hit a cewrtain level of data useage, say 20gb they assume you're tethering..

my advise if you're tethering, stay below 20gb..

use 3g watchdog to set yourself a reminder cap..

So, you don't own a pc or laptop yet you download over 20g of torrents. Surely not all downloaded to SD card to only use on the phone?

And mobile companies can indeed tell if you are tethering as the packet destinations will not match the device you are using. In this instance giffgaff might be just making assumptions based on usage rather than looking at detail.

Interesting though that it is not 100 unlimited. Although I am not surprised as it would not have been a great business model to max out o2's network!

Ok, that Desire. I asked if it was still available.

Yeah, it is. It's O2-locked, I think, but could be unlocked. Was asking £300 or best offer :)

If anyone is interested, I'll put you in direct email or twitter contact. He's in/around Leeds, so I'll ferry it over to a Rovers home game if you don't want to faff with postage

Ok, that Desire. I asked if it was still available.

If anyone is interested, I'll put you in direct email or twitter contact. He's in/around Leeds, so I'll ferry it over to a Rovers home game if you don't want to faff with postage

I'm in Blackpool.. best I can offer is £250.. no more unfortunately..

02 locked is brilliant as my giffgaff sim will work in it

So, you don't own a pc or laptop yet you download over 20g of torrents. Surely not all downloaded to SD card to only use on the phone?

And mobile companies can indeed tell if you are tethering as the packet destinations will not match the device you are using. In this instance giffgaff might be just making assumptions based on usage rather than looking at detail.

Interesting though that it is not 100 unlimited. Although I am not surprised as it would not have been a great business model to max out o2's network!

yes I don't own either a laptop or pc and I downloaded of torrents onto my 32gb SD card using http://appbrain.com/app/swarm-torrent-client/ws.munday.swarm

yes I don't own either a laptop or pc and I downloaded of torrents onto my 32gb SD card using http://appbrain.com/app/swarm-torrent-client/ws.munday.swarm

• 3 weeks later...

anybody having problems with battery life on their htc desire? then try this:

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour

Haven`t tried this yet but apparently it increases battery life dramatically... :blink:

anybody having problems with battery life on their htc desire? then try this:

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour

Haven`t tried this yet but apparently it increases battery life dramatically... :blink:

Tried this on saturday and it definitely improves battery life by at least 30% but you would have to do this every time you charge.

(Please don't use that word again) doing that for every charge, I've git two batteries so I'm ok...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&client=mv-google&hl=en-GB&v=FxF9CCEnQPY

check out my latest vid with my new toy for my desire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&client=mv-google&hl=en-GB&v=FxF9CCEnQPY

check out my latest vid with my new toy for my desire

• 1 month later...

Very nice spec on that Tris. I'm out of contract in June so I'll have a look around at the best options then.

Certainly wont go for Iphone 4, I'll maybe keep the 3GS for a bit longer or have a nose at some of the android phones as android seems to have caught up with the Iphone app store now.

2 years ago I went for my 3GS and certainly haven't regretted it. Been a cracking phone and still working well. Don't think I've ever managed to get a phone to last for 2 years before.

Now it comes down to seeing what's the best option come June.. Iphone 5 probably won't be far away so that might be tempting as well.

I'm looking at the Desire at the moment, but we are doing the Wildfire for around 9 pounds a month with a 100 rand(SA currency) in airtime or credits.

Its a brilliant deal, but not sure I like the size of the screen. Anybody have any experience with this HTC ie Wildfire?

Archived