BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Juan Roman Riquelme

We have been crying out for a playmaker since Tugay hung up his boots. Dunn played the role nicely when fit last season, now he looks a shadow of his former self. Gamst has dropped into the role and has done it with moderate success. We now have a chance to pick up an outstanding playmaker, with fantastic vision and passing skills, who is also a wonderful free kick taker. We have enough players in the side to do running and donkey work, we lack a touch of class and cutting edge. Maybe comparing Riquelme to Pedersen and Dunn would be more apt, which is the best passer of the ball out of all 3? Which is the most creative? Which is the better set piece taker? Which of 3 is the biggest goal threat? There is one answer for all of those questions and it isnt Dunn or Pedersen.

Wow, you would almost think from reading this that i had just said that he is a better than our best players in his position. that still does not make a transfer correct.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed how many are comparing JRR to Tugay - Tugay was nowhere near this level of a player - if Tugay was THAT good why did he spend so long at second and third rate clubs like us & Rangers??

I was a massive Tugay fan - still am - he was so much better than anything we have seen in midfield for a hell of a long time.

BUT if you think Tugay was good - well, prepare to be dazzled!!!!!!!!!

Tugay was hit and miss for me.

JRR was a different level.

Be good to get a year out of him.

I'm amazed how many are comparing JRR to Tugay - Tugay was nowhere near this level of a player - if Tugay was THAT good why did he spend so long at second and third rate clubs like us & Rangers??

I was a massive Tugay fan - still am - he was so much better than anything we have seen in midfield for a hell of a long time.

BUT if you think Tugay was good - well, prepare to be dazzled!!!!!!!!!

For tugay spending most of his career with galatasaray was like someone here playing for united or liverpool, or aresnal, or whoever, you get my point?

hughesy

Regardless of whether or not it happens...you got to admit its exciting to see our clubs linked to top players again, whether its ageing superstars or upcoming hot talent.

that certainly depends on who the aging player is, i would be much happier with ronaldinho, then with riquelme, as he is much more suited to the premierleague, a much better player and closer to his prime.

Regardless of who's in by weekend, im sure there will be much more of a Buzz around Ewood on Sunday.

Good times back on the horizon.

its certainly a more fun window, for once we are linked with something other then the usual free suspects, but its also a window of opportunity and some are hping for better, then an aging riquelme and in my opinion, rightly so.

For tugay spending most of his career with galatasaray was like someone here playing for united or liverpool, or aresnal, or whoever, you get my point?

thats like saying John Hartson playing for Celtic is like playing for Arsenal.

It's more like playing for West Ham.

thats like saying John Hartson playing for Celtic is like playing for Arsenal.

It's more like playing for West Ham.

for him, i suppose it is... point taken, it's not like milan or madrid ever came sniffing round him. but at the same time he probably felt like he achieved what he set out to do... captained his club, captained his country.

I'm pro Riquelme btw... surely having his technique and experience around the place will be a good thing!

for him, i suppose it is... point taken though, it's not like milan or madrid ever came sniffing round him, but at the same time he probably felt like he achieved what he set out to do... captained his club, captained his country.

Look at the Turkish league, it just looks just a list of prescription drugs.

I think Tugay stuggled to get in the Rangers team, so we got him for a dead cheap £1.2 million ish.

Tugay probably could have played at a higher level if he was constant, he really suited game where hewas given a lot of time.

Well I thought so.

Tugay probably could have played at a higher level if he was constant, he really suited game where hewas given a lot of time.

Well I thought so.

I wonder how he would have done in the claret and blue of barca cerca 2002/3...?

Also, you remember these lot...??

Genclerbirligi

:rover:

for him, i suppose it is... point taken, it's not like milan or madrid ever came sniffing round him. but at the same time he probably felt like he achieved what he set out to do... captained his club, captained his country.

I'm pro Riquelme btw... surely having his technique and experience around the place will be a good thing!

Yeah loved Tugay when he was with us - towards the end you never knew what you were going to get out of him though & as his legs had gone he tried every trick in the book to cover up for his mistakes...

For us Tugay was and still is a Great Great player - but his CV doesn't match that of JRR

Chris is spot on. Tugay is one of my favourite Rovers players of all time, but it seems some people have repainted the past to make out he ran the show every week.

He was up and down, there was even a period where a thread was erected on this site mocking his passing ability (Tugay's Squirrel).

Hard work is a completely different atribute to talent though isn't it. And there is a reason for him only playing 2 games or whatever this season. He's been injured. Seriously, don't insinuate without doing the most minor amount of research.

His injuries are my only major concern but, depending on how much we're willing to spend on him, surely it's worth the risk. I can't really comment on his attitude because I don't know the details (which is something that doesn't stop a lot of people on here).

And Beckham tried to make the transition to being a central midfielder at Real Madrid and didn't cut the mustard.

I will give you a little tip here, go to just about any top football club and ask them why they release players who appear to have an abundance of talent, they will tell you they have not the correct attitude or mentality,

indeed, Wenger states mentality as the major consideration he makes when signing a player!

Oh, and Dalglish whilst at Rovers, even knew Shearers eating habits before he signed him, he chose attitude as a real consideration when signing players.

Heres a few with talent but because of the wrong attitude/mentality never reached the heights they should have, Collymore, Justin Fashanu, Lee Sharpe, Tomas Brolin, Keith Gillespie, Craig Bellamy (should have been a top level player all his career) a young lad at Rovers called Gary Stopforth, should have made a real career out of the game, didnt as his mentaltiy was not right and we can go on and on, yet Robbie Savage a very limited player in terms of ability, became a top player for both club and country by hios mentality and work ethic.

If you combine both the mentality/attitude and pure quality, at this time, Rovers would be struggling to sign them, they would be joining Champions league clubs.

then he would hit some excellent form and make up for it.

It was a cycle.

Alot of players go through patches like that... i suppose that's when truly great players step up... everyweek!

This whole business of how Riquelme will handle the weather, the physical side of things, fast paced league etc etc, is just rubbish.

These are professional footballers, they need to adapt to anything thats in front of them. Not all will be up to it, but unless you are thrown in there, you will never know. Essien is one of the smallest players, yet he has one of the biggest hearts in football. Messi is lightweight, but he makes up for it by being clever, good technique, and his obvious footballing talent.

Riquelme just has to pass the ball forward a few yards, and he will be better than anything we have right now. He just has to dribble pass one player, and again, would be much better than some of our players. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Archived