BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Juan Roman Riquelme

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair to Harry Harris the only possible inflammatory comments are these two sentences but many folk would also argue they are a realistic assessment of Venky's ambitions.

It is hopelessly unrealistic to believe that the players so far named would consider a move to Ewood Park.

Ronaldinho and Beckham, maybe. Although I think hopelessly unrealistic is an unnecessary and disrespectful term to use. But Riquelme's representative is saying he offered him to us. That makes this one categorically possible if we want to pursue it.

To be fair to Harry Harris the only possible inflammatory comments are these two sentences but many folk would also argue they are a realistic assessment of Venky's ambitions.

It is hopelessly unrealistic to believe that the players so far named would consider a move to Ewood Park.

Ronaldinho and Beckham, maybe. Although I think hopelessly unrealistic is an unnecessary and disrespectful term to use. But Riquelme's representative is saying he offered him to us. That makes this one categorically possible if we want to pursue it.

Ten times the player Beckham is.

Anyone seriously comparing Beckham to Riquelme is probably a Japanese teenage girl. Sensational player, but I have my doubts as to how he will adjust to northern England... Still, this will be (if it goes through, of course) one of the most spectacular rides ever for Rovers.

Anyone seriously comparing Beckham to Riquelme is probably a Japanese teenage girl. Sensational player, but I have my doubts as to how he will adjust to northern England... Still, this will be (if it goes through, of course) one of the most spectacular rides ever for Rovers.

I suppose that explains why Riquelme found success at Boca and Villarral whereas Beckham was only successful at Man Utd and Real Madrid.

We`re talking about a lad that can play football here and people moan about his age and pace. I do not class his age as old or past it and not all players need pace.

The concern would be him settling in England and in the north west at that where the weather hits hard.

But don`t discount him on his football. Thats ridiculous.

I will give you a little tip here, go to just about any top football club and ask them why they release players who appear to have an abundance of talent, they will tell you they have not the correct attitude or mentality,

indeed, Wenger states mentality as the major consideration he makes when signing a player!

Oh, and Dalglish whilst at Rovers, even knew Shearers eating habits before he signed him, he chose attitude as a real consideration when signing players.

Heres a few with talent but because of the wrong attitude/mentality never reached the heights they should have, Collymore, Justin Fashanu, Lee Sharpe, Tomas Brolin, Keith Gillespie, Craig Bellamy (should have been a top level player all his career) a young lad at Rovers called Gary Stopforth, should have made a real career out of the game, didnt as his mentaltiy was not right and we can go on and on, yet Robbie Savage a very limited player in terms of ability, became a top player for both club and country by hios mentality and work ethic.

If you combine both the mentality/attitude and pure quality, at this time, Rovers would be struggling to sign them, they would be joining Champions league clubs.

As I've said before. Either reply to what I've actually posted or don't bother doing at all.

I get the feeling that you just want to disagree with me, no matter what I say, by making my point into something different.

I'm not sure what to make of the potential signing of Riquelme. On his day he is one of the most outstanding play makers in world football. His pacing, technique and creativity are a joy to behold and he could make us a better team. However, I always got the impression that whenever he was at Villareal or playing for Argentina, he was given a very specific role (one where he didn't have to run or defend) and the rest of the team was built around him. I don't if we have the quality of player that would be good enough to bring out the best in him. He was never blessed with pace, but I would wonder about his effort levels if he did come and play for us. The idea and the reality may be two very different things. But being optimistic, if he did join and was still good enough for this level of football a midfield and forward line of:

Jones N'Zonzi

Hoillet Riquelme Pedersen/Olsson

Santa Cruz

would be very appealing. Another important factor would be the money. I wouldn't want the guy to come here for one last big pay day and then do feck all. Like with Ronaldhino, questions would have to be asked by the manager about his motivation at this stage of his career.

I'm not sure what to make of the potential signing of Riquelme. On his day he is one of the most outstanding play makers in world football. His pacing, technique and creativity are a joy to behold and he could make us a better team. However, I always got the impression that whenever he was at Villareal or playing for Argentina, he was given a very specific role (one where he didn't have to run or defend) and the rest of the team was built around him. I don't if we have the quality of player that would be good enough to bring out the best in him. He was never blessed with pace, but I would wonder about his effort levels if he did come and play for us. The idea and the reality may be two very different things. But being optimistic, if he did join and was still good enough for this level of football a midfield and forward line of:

Jones N'Zonzi

Hoillet Riquelme Pedersen/Olsson

Santa Cruz

would be very appealing. Another important factor would be the money. I wouldn't want the guy to come here for one last big pay day and then do feck all. Like with Ronaldhino, questions would have to be asked by the manager about his motivation at this stage of his career.

Almost exactly matches my opinion.

Phenomenal player, but lots of barriers in the way of him being a success here; his fitness, could he adapt to the PL? Would his heart be in it? Have we got the players to work around him? Are we even interested??

Would be a whole lot of fun finding out though...

That team you've listed above ^^^ has a very similar look to the Argentina side that he looked so good in a few years ago, solid base behind him, pace on the wings and Crespo up front. No idea if it would work for us, but I'd love to see it tried.

I'd prefer to be uncertain. :blush:

You've become entirely too used to life in Thailand.

On a different thread you said that we should be after Luis Suarez for £18m..

Be quiet.

I miss the 'like' button. Why was it taken away?

In a nutshell.

Just failed to mention 'and a paper fell for it' and you have the whole picture.

They didn't really "fall for it", both us and the LET made it pretty clear it was only an approach from an agent, rather than an imminent signing. Had he been pushing a championship player I don't think either of us would have bothered mentioning it, but it was the player involved that, in my opinion, made it newsworthy.

Archived