BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Juan Roman Riquelme

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can hardly think of a player in the world who I would be more excited about seeing play for the Rovers, the bloke is an absolute genius. Just think back to the 20 odd pas goal the Argies scored in the 2006 WC. He must have had the ball about 6 times in the move. His passing is just a wonder to behold. The best player in his position in the world over the last 10 years I would say, even better than Tugay.

I just can't see him coming off in the EPL though. For 1 he is past his best and apart from that he is the type of player who doesn't cope well with the kick and rush style of our game so regretably I can see him getting run off the ball all the time.

Would rather a half fit past it Riquelme than Ronaldinho or Beckham anyday but I just can't see it.

I'm not sure what to make of the potential signing of Riquelme. On his day he is one of the most outstanding play makers in world football. His pacing, technique and creativity are a joy to behold and he could make us a better team. However, I always got the impression that whenever he was at Villareal or playing for Argentina, he was given a very specific role (one where he didn't have to run or defend) and the rest of the team was built around him. I don't if we have the quality of player that would be good enough to bring out the best in him. He was never blessed with pace, but I would wonder about his effort levels if he did come and play for us. The idea and the reality may be two very different things. But being optimistic, if he did join and was still good enough for this level of football a midfield and forward line of:

Jones N'Zonzi

Hoillet Riquelme Pedersen/Olsson

Santa Cruz

would be very appealing. Another important factor would be the money. I wouldn't want the guy to come here for one last big pay day and then do feck all. Like with Ronaldhino, questions would have to be asked by the manager about his motivation at this stage of his career.

Christ, don't let Requeleme see this, would you want to be playing in midfield with Pedersen ? he'll never come !

100% certain she would. That is definitely a valued commodity we require in Blackburn.

We should be careful. We only have a view of one (stunning) half of her. I wouldn't want to blow our whole budget on her (though I'm tempted to blow mine), because she might yet have a face like a deformed bulldog chewing a wasp.

We should be careful. We only have a view of one (stunning) half of her. I wouldn't want to blow our whole budget on her (though I'm tempted to blow mine), because she might yet have a face like a deformed bulldog chewing a wasp.

Would that really stop you from lying her down face first and going at her like a Claret does his cousin?

And we immediately and categorically ruled out a move for him for him! Yes? Or No?

Do you ever read the BBC gossip?

Chelsea, Man Utd et al are linked with three or four different players every day. Do they rebuff every bit of gossip?

Obviously not.

Today United were linked with Sergio Ramos, Baines, Rakitic and Kagawa. I don't recall Sir Alex coming out and either admitting or denying interest.

It's been nice being a Rovers fan (usually), but I think this a good time to announce I now support Boca Juniors instead.

Unless Balaji has got some similar pre-match, half-time, full-time, every-time-the-ball-goes-out-of-play entertainment lined up.

It's been nice being a Rovers fan (usually), but I think this a good time to announce I now support Boca Juniors instead.

Unless Balaji has got some similar pre-match, half-time, full-time, every-time-the-ball-goes-out-of-play entertainment lined up.

Car share, if that's OK with you. :)

Do you ever read the BBC gossip?

Chelsea, Man Utd et al are linked with three or four different players every day. Do they rebuff every bit of gossip?

Obviously not.

Today United were linked with Sergio Ramos, Baines, Rakitic and Kagawa. I don't recall Sir Alex coming out and either admitting or denying interest.

Fair enough, let's use the opportunity for world-wide PR like we did with Maradona, Beckham and and Ronaldinho. Personally I find it unrealistic, distracting and demeaning but you obviously have a different view.

Haven't read much on here so forgive me if my natural scepticism is coming through but whilst we have the legend that was Tugay on one hand we have Di Baggio, Dahlin, Djorkaeff and Sukur on the other. Not all marquee signings do what it says on the tin do they?

Come to think about it nobody had ever heard of Tugay had they?

Marquee - Adj. Being an athlete of exceptional skill and popularity. 

having public appeal: having public appeal or considered in connection with public appeal

<br /><br />Yet many don't want one in our team?   <br /><br />Strange.

Maybe its because he is over the hill, I dont know, on his day a wonderful player but has he any top days left?

I don't mean Riquelme per se. I mean that many on here don't want ANY marquee signing.

The definition of marquee is someone who has public appeal. Why would you not want a player of public appeal in the team?

Unless there is some other reason (not you personally Kelbo)

Archived