BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] music....

Yes, I agree with you. Suppose the excuse is thats all part of the 20 year anniversary.

Its expensive following this band isn't it? Depending where you downloaded it from! :rolleyes:

Haha, I've spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds following/supporting that band, so I feel inclined to the odd freebie! Especially when it comes to novelty releases.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone tell me if downloading albums/singles from places like play.com count towards the uk charts?

I am wanting to download 'The Roller' from Beady Eye and want to make sure my download is not in vain (I dont want to give people the ammo to turn this into a 'they are just like the beadtles/oasis tribute band' discussion either.

Cheers

Surely the aim of purchasing something is to own the song, not bump it up the charts? I can't see how it's in vain if happens not to count towards the chart, which no-one really takes any notice any more anyway.

I'll be amazed if play.com doesn't count though, there are plenty of less well known ones that do count.

Surely the aim of purchasing something is to own the song, not bump it up the charts? I can't see how it's in vain if happens not to count towards the chart, which no-one really takes any notice any more anyway.

I'll be amazed if play.com doesn't count though, there are plenty of less well known ones that do count.

Well I will own the single when the album comes and I dont listen to the radio either apart from when I am in the car. And thats the thing. I hear so much rubbish on there its rare that a decent track comes on and thats why I am buying the single too.

I had the rage against the machine album but bought that single again for the same reason.

Cheers for the replies anyway guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Got up yesterday morning, lifted me almost 18 year old frame out of bed and found that there was a new Radiohead album out on saturday. I see Valentines as a corporate sham but this is better than anything I could have hoped for :D

Doesn't anyone on here like jazz?

I'm into most music, but jazz (20's to the 70's) is magic.

Favourites atm are the Complete Jazz at the Philharmonic on Verve. Ten CD set covering five year after the second world war. A set that actually has one of the first recordings of the electric guitar played by the "inventor" Les Paul.

I'm into 50/60's rock as well, and love the blues, Robert Johnson in particular (though he only recorded a few numbers).

There is a guy, American, who was brought up here in the outback (his mum and dad were teachers) C W Stoneking. Has a great voice, a cross between southern US and Aborigine.

Verve do a great job with Reissues. I've been chewing thru their Charlie Mingus releases. brillant stuff, in particular 'blues and roots'. pure gold.

For the past 3 days I've been listening to Bowie's 'Hunky Dory' front to back..... i'm hooked! DB, I think our tastes fly close to each other but i'm more prone to listen to 60s/70s stuff, the rockabilly stuff doesn't hold much sway over me.

You mention Les Paul, I had the incredible fortune to see him a handful times when he did his legendary Monday night shows here (NYC) first in Fat Tuesday's and then at the Iridium for nearly 2 decades.... usually the room fit about 20-40 ppl, he and an accompanist sat in front on stools ---

still have my 'Happy Birthday, Al, Love Les Paul tshirt! so cool.

I might be a bit off on some details but Les Paul at one time was Steve Miller's neighbor in Texas. Les is credited for giving Miller his first exposure to guitar

Verve do a great job with Reissues. I've been chewing thru their Charlie Mingus releases. brillant stuff, in particular 'blues and roots'. pure gold.

For the past 3 days I've been listening to Bowie's 'Hunky Dory' front to back..... i'm hooked! DB, I think our tastes fly close to each other but i'm more prone to listen to 60s/70s stuff, the rockabilly stuff doesn't hold much sway over me.

You mention Les Paul, I had the incredible fortune to see him a handful times when he did his legendary Monday night shows here (NYC) first in Fat Tuesday's and then at the Iridium for nearly 2 decades.... usually the room fit about 20-40 ppl, he and an accompanist sat in front on stools ---

still have my 'Happy Birthday, Al, Love Les Paul tshirt! so cool.

I might be a bit off on some details but Les Paul at one time was Steve Miller's neighbor in Texas. Les is credited for giving Miller his first exposure to guitar

B/W, Verve do some great stuff don't they.

Have you listened to Chet Baker "The Pacific Jazz Years"? Four discs of 50's cool, I'd describe it as.

My other favourite at the moment is the two disc set "The Best of Newport '57. It contains some great music, the standout track for me is Joe Williams(v) with the Count Basie Orchestra.

On Robert Johnson, Clapton names him as his biggest influence. Johnson only made 41 (known) recordings, some are slightly different version of the same number.

I remember, when I lived in England, going down to the Free Trade Hall in Manchester, in the 60's, Saw Ella, Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson and several others.

The Jazz club at Peel Park Accrington (yes of Stanley fame) used to host some great artists. I saw a very young Paul Simon there and numerous bluesmen from the US and the UK.

A few things for my bucket list would be, New Orleans, got to go there, Chicago to see Kurt Elling at his place (this guy is a great Jazz singer), and Newport RI Jazz festival.

People say I live in the past and it's true, I still want it to be 1991. I'm a huge fan of rock, indie, grunge and even some dance for that era. Oddly, being a Northern Lad that was well into the whole Madchester scene, I had a big big thing for a London indie band. Somebody who weren't afraid to mix scratchy punk guitars with a drum machine and a lot of samples and then overlay some exceptionally clever and witty lyrics.

That band was Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine. The band split 12 years ago, but has since done 6 reunion gigs (and I've been at 4 of then) and after a 2 year break, they just announced 2 more. Even better, there seems to be quite a contingent from brfcs.com going.

Promo for this years concert (the footage is from Glasgow Barrowlands in 2007, I was on the front row throughout) (Warning: Contains rude words from a football chant)

The one track you may remember (back when they were big and had a number 1 album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozrwm0jrYvA

Glenn,

Thanks for that reminder,. CTUSM were brilliant. I've just had a look between "Cale" & "Cave" in my collection and there's now nothing. Damn!

Still, "You fat bast**d" remains high in my list of memorable moments."

Cheers

Colin

Glenn,

Thanks for that reminder,. CTUSM were brilliant. I've just had a look between "Cale" & "Cave" in my collection and there's now nothing. Damn!

Cheers

Colin

Tickets for the academy go on sales at 9am. Get 'em whilst they're hot (they almost sold out during pre-sale) -

Another message from Marc

Hello, I now declare the Carter USM pre sale over! Thank you to all those who bought tickets. I know Jim Bob and Fruity are blown away by the demand* - and we are chuffed so many of you are coming. November can't come quick enough.

The general sale starts from tomorrow at 9am if you are yet to buy. I genuinely have no idea how quickly tickets will sell out but I would advise if you want Brixton standing that you don't hang around. The Manchester show is also our biggest selling show outside London at this early stage, far surpassing Birmingham & Glasgow. The Manchester Academy is half the size of Brixton and 'only' holds 2400. I am hoping for a quick sell out here too.

The ticket details are below.

Manchester:

www.ticketline.co.uk

www.gigsandtours.com

www.ticketmaster.co.uk

0161 832 1111

0844 811 0051

Glenn,

Cheers

Colin

If you like Carter, check out Abdoujaparov, Fruity's band. The Cycle Riot History Gang album is excellent and has a very Cartery feel to it. http://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/abdoujaparov/id129584970#

Archived