BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] TotW: Too Much Media Not Enough News ?

Paul

Now when I used to listen to TalkSport I found Parry and Brazil both entertaining and well informed, however after a few hours of porky Parry this morning I've realised a. he doesn't realy know his subject matter to any depth and b. he is the radio equivalent of an internet troll. Now, I'm sure he's not get less informed over the years, so I can only assume I've got more informed (possibly due to the constant stream of news I'm following?) and his trolling is shameless, you can even tell when he's winding up to an outrageous statement and he often follows it with the "how to contact us" ident. Very poor.

I have listened to Talksport for a long time and Brazil and Parry in the morning were good but I don't even listen to Parry anymore in the morning because he just gets on my nerves. To much shouting and nonsense.

If you want to avoid a constant stream of news but stay up to date with "breaking news" then Hawksby and Jacobs is superb.

Their show is light hearted banter about sport and other things but they will bring you up to date with any major breaking news as well so you don't lose touch with what’s going on.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was nothing wrong with the Riquelme piece as it was, it was perfectly clear that he was being offered to the club. That some people didn't read it properly is a related but different issue ;)

What I would say though is that the intention behind that information coming to light was clear (at least to me), create some noise around Riquelme with a view to generating interest in him. Even if the player himself didn't want to move, it's more than feasible interested parties linked to him did. So in one way, we were fuelling the machine for someone else's benefit.

Going into that of course is editorialising and there is plenty of room for that in the forums themselves.

Media manipulation has always been around. If anything, with the diversity of information sources available to us now it's more transparent. As are things like trolling on Talksport.

The media nowadays has both plus and minus points for someone on the other side of the globe like me.

I love the way i can catch every Rovers game on tv now and if i missed the game for some reason, i can always find out the score immediately. I remembered when i first started watching football in the early 90s, i might have to wait 2 days to get a result (as games played in England will only finished at about 2am here which is too late to appear in the morning newspapers). Things got better when I started listening to the BBC on radio at about 2am every Saturday to get score updates!

So, the "new ways" are better for me.

Having said that, i do miss the old days when i can be surprised by a signing and rumors only appear when a signing is imminent. It seems now that there are about a hundred rumors for every signing. :wacko:

I'll add my two pennies to the whole broadsheet vs. tabloid debate

For me it is about factual content versus emotional content. Like it or lump it humans are motivated by emotion not facts - football is a fine case in point. While there is an intellectual component to being a football fan - looking at tactics and the like - people watch it to be stimulated emotionally.

Tabloids and tv stations like Sky (and filmakers in Hollywood) have steadily over the years refined the emotional approach to a tee and that itself is an achievement, even if as a result it has deteriorated the quality of information and analysis.

Intellectually inclined folk like to feel they rise above hyperbole and sensation, but without it there is no passion and that is what keeps any human endeavour afloat. Crude it might be but it is as much part of the landscape as thought provoking three page articles on England's 4231 formation.

Archived