BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gray and Keys

Tom

They were recorded off air, I am outraged at this- in favour of Keys and Gray. We have all said things at work in the staffroom, Tongue in cheek, in annoyance at someone else etc, to have that taped and played back to the world how would any of us look?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were the comments on air or off air? If they were made off air, as Radio 1 news reported this morning, then I don't see the issue. What they say to each other is up to them. If it is on air then they are both stuffed, there isn't much of a comeback from it and unfortunately it means more of Jamie 'look at me' Redknapp.

Essentially they've been stitched up by someone in the gallery. From what I gather it was an off air comment, between friends, that somebody in the studio has decided to release to the media.

• Backroom

On or off air makes no odds they have been caught bang to rights, it's like when people get caught speeding and then moan that the camera was in a sneaky place. The evidence is there it doesn't matter how you've been caught.

I'm not sure they should be sacked for it but deserve some punishment.

• Backroom

Stupid comments from Keys & Gray, and they should know better. If it was light-hearted banter it'd probably be swept under the rug sharpish, but it was quite obviously their genuine beliefs and it all sounded quite nasty. Both have been caught out before so they really should know better.

Should have been replaced ages ago anyway, hope this is the catalyst to them both being replaced.

They were recorded off air, I am outraged at this- in favour of Keys and Gray. We have all said things at work in the staffroom, Tongue in cheek, in annoyance at someone else etc, to have that taped and played back to the world how would any of us look?

Key's comments were not tongue in cheek, he had resentment in his voice that a women was running the line, as if she had no right to be doing that job because she is a women. If those comments were overheard in my staff room, and reported to management, that person better be ready to face the consequences. They have been caught out making stupid bigoted comments, and now the reputation is in tatters, and Sky Sports had no choice but to act.

Hairy hands and Gray certainly won't be missed by me, and most people I have talked to won't miss them either.

I heard BFS is co-commentating tonight, anyone know if that's true?

The problem is not just with them though, is it? It's with Sky too. If you look at their sports coverage, they have female presenters who read the sports news, but where are their female reporters, commentators, analysts etc? The fact that they employ female presenters makes it possible for them to say that they are not a sexist organisation, but only when women, on merit and not as a result of some positive discrimination, get the top jobs on an equal footing with men, will that genuinely be true. Before my daughter went into the media, I'd never really looked at attitudes to women in sports broadcasting, but having an insider view means that you really do look more carefully.

Can't say it bothers me about women not commentating etc. If anything, listening to that woman on BBC and her shrill voice makes me glad there aren't more!!

I think pundits could be different - seriously can't be hard to find someone better, male or female, than the likes of Redknapp and his insight!

Also, I know that she doesn't present sports as such, but I would say that one of Sky's most famous people is Helen from Soccer AM.

What a load of fuss about bugger all. Has anybody asked the lady who ran the line whether she's offended ? Don't bother, she won't be.

This is just another example of reactionary reporting, Sky sports news is akin to a TV version of the Daily Star. A couple of off-mike comments and Sky have reporters outside their front doors waiting for them to appear, the microphones being tested for DNA and artist's impressions of Andy Gray's truss.

It's pretty pathetic really, even some on here are saying tings like 'Keys did sound a bit vicious'

Get a life.

As per link below - would this be deemed to be "banter" ?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2011/01/24/listen-to-richards-keys-and-andy-gray-being-sexist

Quote :

Chris // Jan 24, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Keys: “Somebody better get down there and explain offside to (the black guy).”

Gray: “Can you believe that? A (black)linesman. (Black men) don’t know the offside rule.”

Keys: “’Course they don’t. I can guarantee you there will be a big one today. Kenny [Dalglish] will go potty. This is not the first time, is it? Didn’t we have one before?”

Keys: “The game’s gone mad. Did you hear charming (Barrack Obama) this morning complaining about (racism)? Do me a favour (son).”

Now does everyone get it?

What a load of fuss about bugger all. Has anybody asked the lady who ran the line whether she's offended ? Don't bother, she won't be.

This is just another example of reactionary reporting, Sky sports news is akin to a TV version of the Daily Star. A couple of off-mike comments and Sky have reporters outside their front doors waiting for them to appear, the microphones being tested for DNA and artist's impressions of Andy Gray's truss.

It's pretty pathetic really, even some on here are saying tings like 'Keys did sound a bit vicious'

Get a life.

I agree with Adopted Scouser 110%. I'd have more respect for Sky if they balls up and released a statement echoing the above.

Key's comments were not tongue in cheek, he had resentment in his voice that a women was running the line, as if she had no right to be doing that job because she is a women. If those comments were overheard in my staff room, and reported to management, that person better be ready to face the consequences. They have been caught out making stupid bigoted comments, and now the reputation is in tatters, and Sky Sports had no choice but to act.

Hairy hands and Gray certainly won't be missed by me, and most people I have talked to won't miss them either.

I heard BFS is co-commentating tonight, anyone know if that's true?

Mate I work in a school and if that is what gets you reported then there would be a tribunal every 5 minutes up and down the country. Has anyone heard what was said before the taped conversation and after it too? Taking a two minute sound bite and de-contextualizing it probably has not worked in their favour.

I will state for the record I am not condoning the comments made by Gray and Keys, I am objecting to the recording of a private conversation and their right to hold views/have a joke in the knowledge that this was between two mates in a private conversation.

Sexism and utter disrespect to women is not a case of 'boys being boys'. It is a sign of ill-education, elitism and ignorance.

The two of them should be suspended at the very least. Society should be well passed this point, people like Key's and Gray are old, tired and dated.

You need to add ageism to your list. I am 75 and neither tired nor dated.

It was bad taste grubby ignorant banter and perhaps no more than that until they switched to being condescending towards Brady. Delete the name Brady and insert the name of another woman CEO- Brooks (the female head of News International) for instance and see whether their feet would touch the floor on their way out.

Andy Gray was a breath of fresh air when he started on TV back in 1990 but he has been going backwards for 20 years.

To be fair Sky News has given this an awful lot of air time today and tonight the highly respected Jeff Randell interviewed the CEO of Macdonalds UK who basically gave the dynamic duo both barrels... However, you would have thought that someone from SKY would have fronted up instead of releasing a press release.

News International not having a good day, what with the alleged phone tapping and now this.

I met Alan McInally at the Sky Sports studios when I did Ladies Fanzone and he was swearing about women commentating, while I was there too, it was kind of in a joking manner, I didn't find him offensive but I reckon he was thinking women can't do this, they can't talk about football, they know nothing about football, you know the usual.

I would actually love them to get sacked like someone else has stated about the racist remarks, they wouldn't stand a chance of keeping their job, what's the big difference? And all Gray seems to say is "take a bow son" zzzzzzzzz it's boring and predictable.

Archived