BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gray and Keys

Tom

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did laugh when I saw a quote from Karren Brady saying that women shouldn't be judged on the basis of their "sexuality". I think she actually meant "gender".

My initial reaction was: "you sad old fools". They're a couple of throwbacks. Despite this, it would do more harm than good to take them off air because of unfashionable attitudes. Mind you havign said that, they should be taken off air for being crap.

Who remembers when Sky first started broadcasting football, Keys wore a different coloured blazer every week? He's an absolute twit.

To be honest mate its maybe riled me as i find them both so arrogant and self absorbed its untrue. Andy Gray especially, he talks like he created football and is the judge and jury of every decision. if he knows so much about football why didn't he become a manager? Hansen is the same...

In Hansen's defence, he has occaisionally said he doesn't have the bottle to manage, unlike the coward Gray who chickened out of the Everton job. They are a pair of arrogant ring pieces, and neither are very good at their jobs.

As for women in football, it's good to see them becoming linesman/linespeople and refs. And not for that reason. Women's football is also of a pretty good quality, and the BBC could show more games without a sense of patronisation.

They're a couple of throwbacks.

Nothing wrong with throwbacks? Every past era has had them and so will every future era. They highlight if humanity is heading in the right direction.

The lucky ones amongst us will live long enough to become one too.

Nothing wrong with throwbacks? Every past era has had them and so will every future era. They highlight if humanity is heading in the right direction.

The lucky ones amongst us will live long enough to become one too.

Fair enough, but do we have to be subjected to their inane blokey "we're a pair of lads" football analysis?

• Moderation Lead

When this story broke I thought it was banter, though I haven't heard the recording.

Surely the lines(wo)man could have taken this a bit better? I think it's been blown out of proportion, as I'm sure she's had worse comments than those attributed to Gray and Keys?

When this story broke I thought it was banter, though I haven't heard the recording.

Surely the lines(wo)man could have taken this a bit better? I think it's been blown out of proportion, as I'm sure she's had worse comments than those attributed to Gray and Keys?

I'm not sure what you mean? - She should have taken this better.

She didn't broadcast the comments or to my knowledge has even commented on them. Apparently, Keys has apologised to her personally and she has accepted his apology. Personally, I'd like to know what he's apologised for - saying what he did. or for thinking the way he does.....

The most offensive thing imo is the suggestion that she wouldn't be able to do her job correctly because she's a woman. Do me a favour.

To the person that said it was all tongue in cheek - I suggest you look up the meaning of the phrase.

• Moderation Lead

I'm not sure what you mean? - She should have taken this better.

She didn't broadcast the comments or to my knowledge has even commented on them. Apparently, Keys has apologised to her personally and she has accepted his apology. Personally, I'd like to know what he's apologised for - saying what he did. or for thinking the way he does.....

The most offensive thing imo is the suggestion that she wouldn't be able to do her job correctly because she's a woman. Do me a favour.

To the person that said it was all tongue in cheek - I suggest you look up the meaning of the phrase.

I'm suggesting that if indeed it was banter, it must have been a joke she's heard before. I think the media has blown this out of proportion majorly.

Not saying it's right, but it's always been a common joke that women fail to understand the offside rule, I'm assuming that if they did make the comments as jokes then they should be viewed as such, not being nailed to the wall for being sexists mysogenists.

However, if they did make the remarks in complete seriousness- then they deserve everything they get.

That would be me.

People are judging people they don't know. Some people deliver humour in a very dry way and in a very serious sounding way, even if it's tongue in cheek. You have no idea how Richard Keys behaves socially.

I don't particularly like the guys, and would welcome them being replaced. However, I'd be very sad if they lost their jobs over this. They've clearly been stitched up.

That would be me.

People are judging people they don't know. Some people deliver humour in a very dry way and in a very serious sounding way, even if it's tongue in cheek. You have no idea how Richard Keys behaves socially.

I don't particularly like the guys, and would welcome them being replaced. However, I'd be very sad if they lost their jobs over this. They've clearly been stitched up.

yeah why have these off air audio and then video footage been made avaailable?

She didn't make a compaint though. Someone else recorded and then presumably released it. and of course she'll have heard worse and probably given plenty back, as most of us have, but then here she wasn't in a position to laugh it off because she knew it was a joke. Her ability to do the job she has trained for was called into question for no other reason than that she is female, and that is wrong.

That would be me.

That's what I've been saying and has been ignored.

It's all irrelevant because we don't know how they've meant it, you can analyse the tape all you want but we don't know them as people and we weren't there. They might be sexist or they might just have a crap sense of humour.

As per link below - would this be deemed to be "banter" ?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2011/01/24/listen-to-richards-keys-and-andy-gray-being-sexist

Quote :

Chris // Jan 24, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Keys: “Somebody better get down there and explain offside to (the black guy).”

Gray: “Can you believe that? A (black)linesman. (Black men) don’t know the offside rule.”

Keys: “’Course they don’t. I can guarantee you there will be a big one today. Kenny [Dalglish] will go potty. This is not the first time, is it? Didn’t we have one before?”

Keys: “The game’s gone mad. Did you hear charming (Barrack Obama) this morning complaining about (racism)? Do me a favour (son).”

Now does everyone get it?

Exactly. Had it been said about someone who was black, it would be racism and those two would have been sacked straight away. Just because its a woman, its classed as lighthearted banter.

Most woman can probably talk a better game than the two of them put together and we dont need the modern fancy technology that grey uses to make it look like he talks a good game.

I am a qualified ref and at the same time as i did the course there was a young female taking the course at the same time. She has recently done the Womans UEFA championships and certainly knows the laws of the game infact she would be a better ref than most of the currant Elite list. All the women who are currently doing games proffesionally have to meet the same fitness standards and pass the same exams as the men. I enjoy a good sexist joke as much as the next man but to criticise her ability to do her job was unfair

Archived