BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Part 6

Don't get me wrong, RSC (when not injured) improves our squad and Jones had a decent debut but borrowing them from other teams doesn't make this the "best transfer window for years" as the original post I was replying to made out.

When did we have a better transfer window? I bet it was more than a year ago, hence best window for years ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did we have a better transfer window? I bet it was more than a year ago, hence best window for years ;)

:P

Well given some people are citing Samba staying as being one of the aspects that has made this window so fantastic, the last one wasn't bad coz he didn't leave then either :D

Last Winter Window

Players IN

Amine Linganzi St Etienne Free 28-01-2010

Yildiray Basturk Stuttgart 27-01-2010 (LOAN)

Players OUT

Benni McCarthy West Ham Signed 01-02-2010

Keith Treacy Preston Signed 01-02-2010

Last window

Players IN

Mame Biram Diouf Man Utd 09-08-2010 (LOAN)

Benjani Free 27-08-2010

Players OUT

Michael Hall Accrington Free 29-07-2010

Lars Jacobsen West Ham Signed 31-08-2010

This Window

Players IN

Roque Santa Cruz Man City 14-01-2011 (LOAN)

Jermaine Jones Schalke 18-01-2011 (LOAN)

Players OUT

Alex Marrow C Palace Signed 06-01-2011

Alan Judge Notts Co Signed 14-01-2011

Pascal Chimbonda QPR Free 27-01-2011

If you disregard Hindsight (i.e 'yeah well Basturk turned out to be crap') because we don't know how the latest transfers will turn out I don't think it's that clear cut. None of them are that exciting.

Again the time to judge is February 1st but I was hoping for a little more from new owners ("Bollywood Billionaires" no less) eager to impress to be honest.

This Window

Players IN

Roque Santa Cruz Man City 14-01-2011 (LOAN)

Jermaine Jones Schalke 18-01-2011 (LOAN)

True Blue & White think the point people are trying to make is this is the first time we have signed two players who will be automatic choices if fit not squad players big difference than recent windows.

Yes they are loans, i.e come June they will go back to their proper clubs. And given what happened at Villa today, we could end up paying £2m for three and half games from one of them or shipping him back early.

Don't get me wrong, RSC (when not injured) improves our squad and Jones had a decent debut but borrowing them from other teams doesn't make this the "best transfer window for years" as the original post I was replying to made out.

Nicko said back in August if the sale didn't go through the plan B was to give Sam the £5m that was heldback in the summer, and Venky's haven't spent close to that yet (sorry wages aren't part of the "TRANSFER" budget) so I don't buy the argument we should be displaying the kind of OTT gratefulness some people are coming out with.

I HOPE Formica is a hit, I hope we get some other signings in before the end of the window but if we finish this window with Formica, and injured Roque and Jones it would have been a bit of a "meh" window for me. OK but not outstanding.

God get a grip man! They are signings, they play for our club. So what if Roque is injured, we took a chance on him and it may work it may not. At least we didn't buy him for £15m to them have him go down.

One of the best signings we made was to loan David Bentley, which then lead to us buying him.

Venky's are playing a clever game. The budget is set and apparently more is there if the right player becomes available, time will tell on that one.

I think we have had a good window and have improved our squad and options. That is all you can ask. If we can get someone to sort out Kean's awful subs then we will be sorted.

God get a grip man! They are signings, they play for our club. So what if Roque is injured, we took a chance on him and it may work it may not. At least we didn't buy him for £15m to them have him go down.

One of the best signings we made was to loan David Bentley, which then lead to us buying him.

Venky's are playing a clever game. The budget is set and apparently more is there if the right player becomes available, time will tell on that one.

I think we have had a good window and have improved our squad and options. That is all you can ask. If we can get someone to sort out Kean's awful subs then we will be sorted.

The budget simply isnt enough Modes98.

• Backroom

Everyone of your posts is negative true blue and White I can't understand it. You seem determined to see the bad side of everything we do.

If we get Formica it's a very good window compared to what we are used to.

Get a grip, that's something you say to someone who's going mental. All I said was that they were loans, a simple statement of fact and nothing more.

Yeah I'm not saying loans can't be good, you're making a straw man.

Clever game for them, maximum publicity with very little pay out. The right players have been available but we have never bid for them, Krankjar for example, or Bentley who seems to be on fire at Brum. We supposedly wanted Adam but never made a bid. We desperately need a creative midfielder so why haven't our 'Billionaire' owners bought one? Looks now like we're hoping that a player from The Argentinian Pepsi Max League, Formica, will be the next Tugay and not the next Carlos Villanueva.

Look I'm not saying it's been disasterous and had the Trust been still here I'd agree it's the best we could hope for but you can't escape that this is Venky's first window, the one they should be looking to impress in. Balij is keen to show off his cars when given the chance so you'd think they'd want to get show their 'supposed' wealth a bit more than they have done so far.

For a first window it's a bit 'meh' so far. I accept the summer will be a better time for bigger moves but the 'first impression' stage will be over by then.

It's strange you're having a pop at me Modes as I've generally seen your posts as refreshingly down to earth so far :blink:

Everyone of your posts is negative true blue and White I can't understand it. You seem determined to see the bad side of everything we do.

You say negative, I'd say realistic. Although I grant you and can come across as a bit of s grumpy bar steward sometimes. I'll try and phrase my negativity/realism a little more favourably in the future.

If we get Formica it's a very good window compared to what we are used to.

That's only because people are comparing it the last window and not, say, the last 10. What we are 'used to' is irrelevant anyway, we have new owners and are still in one big unknown at the moment...

*snip*

I think Venky's may well be holding off for the summer, I won't pass judgement on them until then. The prices some players have been going for this window, I cannot blame them for not wanting to splash the cash. The loan signings they have made seem very good to me though, much better than previous windows. Baring in mind everything, I think this has been a good window for us and a step in the right direction. Surely that is what matters?

Are Krankjaer or Bentley players that Kean wants? EVERY player is available just have to pay the money. The Jan window is the worst one to purchase players as prices are stupidly inflated, Bent at 24 million is a prime example, Carroll being valued at the same too? We had three areas of weakness defensive midfield, attacking midfield and striker, right mid too but Hoilett has resolved a problem there. We have signed Jones, a player ranked 4th best in Germany a few years ago in his position, we have also signed a quality striker in RSC too, now if Formica arrives, who has been getting rave reviews in numerous areas and Kean describes him as the best young Argentinian from there, it has been a great window IMO.

The Raos will sign a marque player, they tried this window but it did not happen, that's football, but already because of them we are in our highest league position for nearly three years playing the best football for many a year too.

Maybe Kean is just getting 'stop gaps' in the limited time he has in this window. He might have a plan for the summer onwards, but for now he is just ensuring we get to the summer safely. He'll/we'll have much more time to negotiate and buy players, not to mention the prices will be less inflated. Though this theory probably goes against what the owners would like?

Whatever we spend, this seems a much more positive time than previous windows. Under Sam we'd be being linked with Kevin Davies and some 6'10" forward. We'd also end up not getting either.

Are Krankjaer or Bentley players that Kean wants? EVERY player is available just have to pay the money. The Jan window is the worst one to purchase players as prices are stupidly inflated, Bent at 24 million is a prime example, Carroll being valued at the same too? We had three areas of weakness defensive midfield, attacking midfield and striker, right mid too but Hoilett has resolved a problem there. We have signed Jones, a player ranked 4th best in Germany a few years ago in his position, we have also signed a quality striker in RSC too, now if Formica arrives, who has been getting rave reviews in numerous areas and Kean describes him as the best young Argentinian from there, it has been a great window IMO.

The Raos will sign a marque player, they tried this window but it did not happen, that's football, but already because of them we are in our highest league position for nearly three years playing the best football for many a year too.

Sensible post.

Add to it Nelsen, Salgado, and looks like Samba signing new contracts.

Any update on Vukenvic or however you spell it? I think we'd be watching Stroke Boy for our signings to come through if he wasn't sacked.

Not about him but of his team. All newspapers claim they are close to selling Liedson, which might stop the sale of Vukcevic, not because they play in the same position but because they will have some money to invest.

Even if he wanted to, I imagine Krancjar would be overpriced and Bentley wouldn't come back.

Hasn't Krancjar stated his favoured posistion is Left wing recently also? Bentley wouldn't have come back, and we have Hoilett on the right wing.

I agree, recent performances have made me believe that we don't need as many signing as previously thought. Though I guess you can't judge football on a few performances and any injuries and we'd maybe struggle with our current squad.

Any update on Vukenvic or however you spell it? I think we'd be watching Stroke Boy for our signings to come through if he wasn't sacked.

Not about him but of his team. All newspapers claim they are close to selling Liedson, which might stop the sale of Vukcevic, not because they play in the same position but because they will have some money to invest.

Has he actually signed yet...genuine question because it aint been mentioned on the official site.

My post said looks like he is signing a new contract, not official, but I seem to remember reading a post from Nicko suggesting he had agreed to a new contract with a £5k a week increase.

Losing Samba? That hasnt looked likely for over a week now. It sounds more likely that he'd sign a new deal if anything.

I'm beginning to think that Samba hasn't sign as the window hasn't closed. What to see if Arsenal, etc... come in, if not then sign seems to to the plan.

Thought these Indians were cowboys? :lol:

This is the 21st century. Cowboys can be Indians, and Indians can be Cowboys. Keep up. :P

The BBC FA Cup live text says Villa are bringing our long-passed target Michael Bradley in on loan for the rest of the season - clearly an alternative to Charlie Adam. Be interesting to see how he copes with the Prem, I fancied him for us back then.

No!!! We need to sign Bradley. If we don't we are seriously missing the boat. He's excellent and will sell a lot of Rovers shirts in the USA.

I think Venky's may well be holding off for the summer, ...

Every penney should be spent well. I'm pleased they've made some improvements this month and may make more in the summer when values are better. Our owners are not fools, apparently. And that is a good thing. :tu:

I think Venky's may well be holding off for the summer, I won't pass judgement on them until then. The prices some players have been going for this window, I cannot blame them for not wanting to splash the cash. The loan signings they have made seem very good to me though, much better than previous windows. Baring in mind everything, I think this has been a good window for us and a step in the right direction. Surely that is what matters?

How on earth is it a good window when Rovers wont have enough money to buy the players that they currently have on loan come this summer.

Archived