BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - The Aftermath

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pleased with the business we've done in this transfer window. It's obvious that the club are trying to change the way we play and the players that we've bought in, especially the two we signed yesterday, will help in that goal. I'd forgotten what it felt like to be trying to sign good quality players and the four that we've bought in are certainly that. I'm excited to see what Formica and Rochina look like and see what they can produce. If they are as good as Steve Kean has made them out to be, we could see some pretty attacking football at Ewood. By adding a defensive midfielder, two strikers and creative player, we've addressed areas of the team that we've been lacking in. Hopefully in the summer we can get the left back we need.

I'm also glad that we've managed to keep hold of our best players. The likes of Samba, Robinson and Jones have all been linked with moves away from the club, so to have re-signed them (has Samba signed yet?) is a big plus. Getting some players out the door is a relief too. Diouf will fit in perfectly at Rangers. Who was the other big earner that we got rid of? Sending the likes of Doran, Linganzi and Goulon out on loan is good move too, because if they are ever going to make it at Rovers they need games.

I would like to have seen either Andrews or Grella shifted too but with their recent injury problems it would have been difficult. I wouldn't have handed Jason Roberts a new contract either as I don't think that he is consistently good enough.

Overall it has been a very good window and the players we've bought in and let go should make the team better. I hope they go on and smash Spurs tomorrow.

I'm not usually a pedantic sod Chris, it's just when I see it spelt "Nelson" it reminds me of the bad reporting we get when reporters spell Gamst's name "Pederson" or they call Niko "Klasnic"....

Just found it funny our very own news bunny many the same mistake (although I'm sure it was only a typo :P

P.S. Top left, standing at the topr corner of the first table with the shoes on

Is it Freidel or Friedel lol I always got that one wrong, among others

I think the "Window" itself can lead to craziness - maybe not the £50m for Torres; but certainly whatever Liverpool have paid for Carroll - if Bent goes for £24m, then I'd say that Carroll should have gone for no more than half that. Anyway, there's nowt we can do about the "Window"; the authorities [presumably UEFA; possibly FIFA - not sure which] have decided it's here, so we have to go with it, unless, of course we sign someone who's out of contract; but I can't see that happening often under our new ownership arrangements.

As for the way we've used the window, I'm in the quietly optimistic group. It may have been hectic towards the end, but I think that we've come out of it more positively, not just than we have in recent years but also than quite a few other clubs in the League. I hope that Roque's injury, presumably [if it's what we are told it is] not affecting his chronically-injured knee, will heal soon so that he can lead our line and bring the best out of the other forwards. I was impressed by what I saw of J. Jones against West Bromwich; and, provided we can integrate Rochina and Formica [and having a respected Spanish professional and a manager with, inter alia, linguistic skills will surely assist in that process], they could be the first pieces in a jigsaw which will end up with a very satisfactory design.

Overall I think it is a decent window. News bunny summary is excellent.

Formica is going to take some time to adapt to the Premiership so the jury is out but it is very clear that we have been missing a good creative midfielder for quite some time so it is good to see us at least attempting to address that area of the team, where it's been ignored in previous windows.

I'm sure proven Premiership players would have been preferred but you can see clearly see the cost of those in January with Adam. Blackpool have every right to stick to their guns until the summer. We've new owners but they are not in the league of the Ambramovich's of the world. There's no way we could meet the price they were asking. Thus, we've gone for the next best thing. A bit of a gamble but he who dares, etc.

That we've got a proper quality holding player in midfield will allow the other player some freedom. This might kick Nzonzi up the backside, give Dunn a lease of life and keep Formica in the right area of the pitch when he comes into the team. Again, another player not without risk which is why a loan is sensible but if fit, he's a clear upgrade on what we already have.

Both our loans are arguably first team players and if they work out, we'll be in pole position to make them permanent. We've strengthened the starting eleven without spending millions and at relatively low risk. I fail to see how that isn't win win.

Rochina is a good addition to the squad in terms of a 3rd/4th striker who can put some pressure on the others. With our other strikers having question marks over them, he will get opportunities which is a good thing.

New contracts for some important players are a bonus too. We'll need to shift some deadwood in the summer though.

Overall a decent first window for the new owners. The jury must still be out on them overall, although in the last fortnight they seem to have learned to shut up. Some clarity on their plans and how they see the club being run going forward is required. It is important to judge them fairly, not on a reaction to some of the quite ridiculous scare-mongering going on. Things may well go sour in the future but crying wolf at every opportunity does as much to obscure those risks as blind optimism.

The BBC have compiled a list of January transfers and a cursory glance at it would suggest we've done pretty well in comparison to others. Re-ranking the Premiership in terms of January business I think it's fair to say we'd be top half so for now, Venky's get a decent pass.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9332131.stm

What a strange way Spurs work their transfers...

""Daniel [Levy] rang me late on and asked if I like Charlie Adam. I said 'yes, he's a fantastic footballer'. He said do you want him, I said 'can we get him?'."

I read that Van der Vaart was given to Redknapp as well. Who is making their transfer decisions? As far as I'm aware they don't have a director of football, so is Levy doing it on his own?

Really annoyed this morning reading the papers mentioning 'credit crunch' and 'recession' in relation to the transfer window. The bulk of the spending came from Abramovich's pocket. They're quoting this "£200 million" figure, but really it's nonsense.

Very happy,after several transfer windows of sheer disappointment under the trust,at long last some very promising transfer buisness.

Fair play to the new owners they have come good,and shown some positive thinking.

ps.The utube footage of Formica was against decent opposition,River Plate was one i think a pretty decent team.If he can show that sort of form here

we have a very handy player indeed.

VIVA GATO.

Not really.

Roque is costing £2m.

Try again

Ahh yes, the deperate attempt to re-write history and pretend wages were part of that £5m minimum we were going to spend in tranfer fees.

When I ask someone how much they're gonna spend on car, I don't expect them to include the cost of petrol and insurance in the figure they gave me.

We have spent £4m on transfer fees, adding in Roques wages or the cost of of physio treatment doesn't count.

And by the way, why are we paying Roque for 4 weeks after the season ends (to get to £2m on 90k from when we bought him)? That's if you believe we're paying his full wages which I don't. Why do you think it took two days from the deal being agreed to us getting him? We were even trying to beat the clock so he could play against Chelsea....could it be because we were negiotiating his wages? I suspect we're paying half...

I'm sure proven Premiership players would have been preferred but you can see clearly see the cost of those in January with Adam.

Tottenham had a bid accepted for £6.7m which is about right IMO and a figure we SHOULD have offered in the first few days given how much we supposedly wanted him.

2 million on RSC and about 1.5 million on Jones' wages, on top of about 4 million for the two youngsters, makes 7.5 million plus sacking Sam and McDonald was suggested to be about 2.5 million, total 10 million, that's the summer budget gone!!

As I said on the other thread I fully expect Raos to make a big marque signing in the summer, as a statement of intent and from I have read about them they will invest to enable us to grow gradually.

True blue- I think RSC was that desperate to play for us he is not actually getting paid, Jones is on a play as you pay too, all guess work but hey it's more reliable than the posters in the know.

Lets hope that in the extra two days Spurs seem to be allowed to complete transfers they dont sign anyone.

Poor 'Arry, his 22.54 bid for Adam got knocked back. Thirty one days to complete transfers and 'Arry tries yet again to land a player in the last few minutes - maybe his calendar is as dodgy as he is.

2 million on RSC and about 1.5 million on Jones' wages, on top of about 4 million for the two youngsters, makes 7.5 million plus sacking Sam and McDonald was suggested to be about 2.5 million, total 10 million, that's the summer budget gone!!

You forgot the add on the cost of Jermaine Jones' plane ticket from Germany and the taxi Roque takes each day to get to training. Oh yeah better add the over-time the medical staff had to do last night and the £200 quid we had to give to that geezer who works in the Italian Passport Office for pulling a few strings. :rolleyes:

I like your theory on Santa Cruz though ;)

Nonsense; "any rational bidder?" You mean the club who spent close to £40m for Andy Carroll? Why on earth should Blackpool roll over and take four times less, for somebody who is actually a footballer. Their PL status is on the line, and Blackpool have been disrespected throughout the process. Good on them for standing up for themselves.

Again, nonsense. Blackpool have a wage cap of £10,000 per week. Kranjcar? He's on close to £60,000. Again, Blackpool haven't asked a ridiculous price when you see what other players have gone for in the window. If you'd have watched Adam enough times, you'd know this.

It's one thing to stand up for oneself. Its quite another to apparently mislead your 'star' player.

I have watched Adam. He's a decent player and, possibly, the best Blackpool have. In my opinion, he is not worth 14 million.

And you're on thin ice if you are holding up Liverpool as rational buyers. Almost 40 million for Andy Carroll is ridiculous.

Though in your defense, Tottenham allegedly met the asking price and only failed to obtain Adam because they could not get two of their shareholder's signatures before the deadline.

If Kranjcar makes 60,000, and if Liverpool offered 9 million, and if Kranjcar was available for 3 million, then the Liverpool offer would have paid for Kranjcar for three years with Blackpool paying the difference, 10,000 per week. There are only 18 months left on Adam's contract.

Have it confirmed that the Karim Ait-Fana is not true.

Oh well. I was getting greedy. Still, in the circumstances, a good window.

Who was the other big earner we got rid of?

Chimbonda.

True Blue- you would agree that paying 2 million in wages is slightly different to paying 200 quid for taxi? So when Real sign Adebayor it doesn't really count, even though they have paid a loan fee and are paying his 160k a week wages?

We sold Warnock to pay for wages only a year ago.

You forgot the add on the cost of Jermaine Jones' plane ticket from Germany and the taxi Roque takes each day to get to training. Oh yeah better add the over-time the medical staff had to do last night and the £200 quid we had to give to that geezer who works in the Italian Passport Office for pulling a few strings. :rolleyes:

I like your theory on Santa Cruz though ;)

You have missed off loads, Jones insisted that a new toilet seat and gold faucets were installed in his hotel suite before he checked in. He flies in his own personal bed linens and must have enough of a certain kind of mineral water so he and his dog can bathe in it each day. Also, when at Ewood Jones dressing room must contain one box of bendy straws, two air purifiers, puppies and kittens, an attendant to take his used chewing gum and Cristal champagne.

Ahh yes, the deperate attempt to re-write history and pretend wages were part of that £5m minimum we were going to spend in tranfer fees.

Perhaps you could link us to the statement where they explicitly stated they would spend a minimum of £5m in fees? To my knowledge, one was never made but please feel free to provide evidence otherwise. The wage bill at the club has quite clearly increased. That at least £5m has been invested in the squad for this season is not a matter of debate.

Tottenham had a bid accepted for £6.7m which is about right IMO and a figure we SHOULD have offered in the first few days given how much we supposedly wanted him.

They did? Says who? TalkSpurs? :lol: Even if that is true, 'accepting' a bid with 5mins to go is mischievousness at best.

If Blackpool were keen to sell Adam to the highest bidder, there would have been no reason to accept a £6.7m bid at the start of the window.

So what we going to spend the summer's £4m on?

Good window for Venky's, a million under budget!

You still here?

I know Clarets mad is cr@p, but your wisdom will not be lost back on your own site I'm sure.

Wow! Whingers after that window. Get a life.

We have secured our top 25 players and in their ranks we now have at least 7 future first teamers under 23 years(depends if you want Fielding in the list). We have got rid of 2 eccentric characters away from being bad influences on our younger players and we have at least 4 older heads who have the real character/emotion of the club at heart(Nelsen,Dunn,Salgado and Robinson)

We have a potential big sale in the future...Samba...who has let us down and now we need to 'use' him to get a 'bigger' club at a high price.

We have a new style that should make Season Ticket renewals easier after 2 years of 'survival' football.

And we have owners who are prudent and want to create a 'win-win' for BRFC and themselves.

And a Manager who has much to prove and not one of Fergie's 'mafia'

It is less than 2 months from the December revolution.Wake up and smell the coffee.

They did? Says who? TalkSpurs? :lol: Even if that is true, 'accepting' a bid with 5mins to go is mischievousness at best.

If Blackpool were keen to sell Adam to the highest bidder, there would have been no reason to accept a £6.7m bid at the start of the window.

Redknapp said himself when he came on Talksport last night.

The BBC have compiled a list of January transfers and a cursory glance at it would suggest we've done pretty well in comparison to others. Re-ranking the Premiership in terms of January business I think it's fair to say we'd be top half so for now, Venky's get a decent pass.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9332131.stm

The Pl site puts things a bit more clearly: http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2259122,00.html.

Though I think Linganzi has come back due to injury, or am I mistaken on this?

Archived