BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - The Aftermath

You still here?

I know Clarets mad is cr@p, but your wisdom will not be lost back on your own site I'm sure.

He has a point though.

We should have paid Newell's an extra £1m. Then we would have spent £5m in fees and True Blue would be happy.

Makes sense

Don't quote him. It means I have to read his posts.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upon reflection I'd say it's been a productive window.

Four new arrivals,two high-earners out.

I'd also say that all that baloney about the £5 mil including fees AND wages has been disproved.

Still expecting some negativity from the miserabilists however when they belatedly arrive....

OK yeti so that you don't have to wait too long.

1. We sold players in the past to provide funding for the club. Where will that funding come from now? (I'll give you a clue, Season tickets have been massively subsidised in recent years by the previous owners. )

Also

2. Our wage bill as a %age of turnover simply has to come down so how does this transfer window figure in that objective?

This window has been great as far as I’m concerned, we’ve had ups and downs for sure, with the talk of big name coming in, but we’ve addressed 2 keys areas and that’s something we’ve not been able to do in recent times.

Both Formica and Rochina are certainly unknown quantities, Jones showed in his first outing he’s going to be a decent signing and Roque when fit has a proven track record.

All in all a great transfer window for me, and one that’s got the juices flowing again after a number of years in the ‘can’t be bothered’ corner.

Wigan here we come :tu:

Ps, getting rid of Diouf was also a masterstroke by the manager, disruptive influence now Sam has gone, and big wages off the bill.

OK yeti so that you don't have to wait too long.

1. We sold players in the past to provide funding for the club. Where will that funding come from now?

Also

2. Our wage bill as a %age of turnover simply has to come down so how does this transfer window figure in that objective?

1) We will sell talent at a huge profit and are also looking qt overseas revenue streams.

2) We have got rid of Chimbo, Diouf and Sam. The big earners that have come in are temporary.

I think the "Window" itself can lead to craziness - maybe not the £50m for Torres; but certainly whatever Liverpool have paid for Carroll - if Bent goes for £24m, then I'd say that Carroll should have gone for no more than half that. Anyway, there's nowt we can do about the "Window"; the authorities [presumably UEFA; possibly FIFA - not sure which] have decided it's here, so we have to go with it, unless, of course we sign someone who's out of contract; but I can't see that happening often under our new ownership arrangements.

As for the way we've used the window, I'm in the quietly optimistic group. It may have been hectic towards the end, but I think that we've come out of it more positively, not just than we have in recent years but also than quite a few other clubs in the League. I hope that Roque's injury, presumably [if it's what we are told it is] not affecting his chronically-injured knee, will heal soon so that he can lead our line and bring the best out of the other forwards. I was impressed by what I saw of J. Jones against West Bromwich; and, provided we can integrate Rochina and Formica [and having a respected Spanish professional and a manager with, inter alia, linguistic skills will surely assist in that process], they could be the first pieces in a jigsaw which will end up with a very satisfactory design.

Approx 100m for Torres over 4 years before he is completely written off! Thats 25m pa before the cost of any other players and club expenses come into it. Chelsea's income being approx 200m pa. How can anybody make sense of that? Will they be banned from European competition in 2014? I doubt it so how will it work?

Guest roverspogges

Dont know if I can post now but there are people on here who should be eating humble pie after all the crap they have been spouting. This window has been a success compared to recent Windows. Well done Venkys.

Well Venkys have shown that they are serious. They really do want a new brand of football down at Ewood and in Kean they have picked their own man to deliver it.

This is a high risk strategy because we don’t (thank God) have 35 million to spend on inexperienced long-shots. Instead we have invested in talented young players with potential at reasonable prices. We have used loans wisely; RSC has already reminded me what a quality striker looks like – I had forgotten! JJ looks like he can provide the bite in midfield that we have been missing.

Playing pretty football on the cheap is risky (ask Incey) but if there is a way to do it successfully, then I think this might be the way to do it. In any case, Venkys have earned the right to try because they have backed their instincts with real money.

I am optimistic but the doubts are swirling just below the surface ........a really convincing win against Spurs tomorrow will push them deep out of sight…………….at least for a while!

Redknapp said himself when he came on Talksport last night.

Re-read the BBC report where it does say that, but thanks.

Not sure I'd take his word at completely face value but even so, accepting a bid with 5 mins to go and then having presumably prepared all day for the possibility that Liverpool would offer silly money if Carroll fell through suddenly they can't find two of the people who need to sign it off?

As Richard Keys would way say; do me a favour, love.

Chuffed to bits we've got rid of Diouf. Nasty bit of work.

Also, great to see Samba still here, Salgado also staying.

Santa Cruz takes a lot of pressure off Kalinic (hopefully).

I like the look of Jermaine Jones.

Add in Robinson and we are looking like we have a pretty decent spine to the team again.

Rochina and Formica we'll have to wait and see.

Looking forward to the match tomorrow.

and we didn't sign Warnock Phil... and we didn't sell the other 5 players who wanted out according to your PM, and 4 of the 5 signed or are about to sign new contracts iirc.

Good window all in all.

Appears to be a good window imo. But at the end of the day it is what happens on the pitch that matters. Kept hold of the players we wanted to do so. Improved contracts of some of the players. Got rid of chimbonda, El hadj on loan. Brought in Jones, not sure about RSC, if he stays fit fine, but sadly a big if. The two permanent signings look good.

I think we can be quietly content.

No marky signings, no stupid mega fees paid for players.

Haven't done what newcastle did, sold a striker and not replaced him.

Chuffed to bits we've got rid of Diouf. Nasty bit of work. MAY HAVE 'BAD HABIT', BUT HE HELPED ROVERS STAY UP, FOR THAT I AM GRATEFUL

Also, great to see Samba still here, Salgado also staying. BOTH GOOD NEWS

Santa Cruz takes a lot of pressure off Kalinic (hopefully). I HOPE IT IS NOT A WASTED LOAN

I like the look of Jermaine Jones. TIME WILL TELL

Add in Robinson and we are looking like we have a pretty decent spine to the team again. AGREED

Rochina and Formica we'll have to wait and see. AGREED

Looking forward to the match tomorrow. SPURS WILL BE HURTING AFTER THE FULHAM GAME. BUT ROVERS SHOULD BE OPTOMISTIC FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON NOW.

SMILE WHILST WE CAN - HOPEFULLY FOR A LONG TIME.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS FOR ROVERS.

Why are both the BBC and SSN reporting that both Formica and Rochina are loan deals??

Real bad journalism on their part...

Otherwise happy with the transfer window, what else did we really expect?

The phrase 'Rome wasn't built in a day' is so applicable to some posters on here :closedeyes:

I dunno, he's got 4 league goals so far (14 games). Give him 10 to 15 for the season and I'd say that's not bad.

He ought to have more support in the 2nd half of the season, too.

Diouf: Sometimes football has to be about good things. Diouf wasn't. And I'd have preferred to have taken our chances of staying up without him at the club.

It's one thing to stand up for oneself. Its quite another to apparently mislead your 'star' player.

And you're on thin ice if you are holding up Liverpool as rational buyers. Almost 40 million for Andy Carroll is ridiculous.

Eh? Well if they really did accept Spurs bid, they didn't mislead him, did they?

Secondly, I was stating that Liverpool weren't rational buyers, and if Carroll is with £40m, then yes, Adam is worth £14m.

Pretty decent window for Rovers. If i was scoring it out of 10 I would probably give it a 7/10, keeping in mind (excluding Jones) these players have potential but are currently unproven.

The side has been crying out for a battling midfielder since Savage's departure and they have brought Jones in to try and do a similar job. We also have needed a playmaker and hopefully Formica can do that. Rochina is young, clearly has some potential and with a bit of hard work we could hopefully turn him into a real asset for us.

Another major plus point was we didn't have to sell any players to fund this, I have no doubts in my mind if we were still under the ownership of the trust we would have had to sell to bring anyone in.

Some question marks over some of the new contracts offered to existing players, but that doesn't really detract from what has been a solid window from a Rovers perspective.

When we didn't buy players, fans complain, and when we do they still complain :!:

This transfer window is a bad time to buy, most sensible fans know this and so do the powers above and they are thinking of getting rid of it, but in saying that I think we have bought and loaned well.

The true picture of our progression well be through the summer transfers and that will give us a much better picture as to weather we are moving in the right direction.

Come on you blues!!!

What a strange way Spurs work their transfers...

""Daniel [Levy] rang me late on and asked if I like Charlie Adam. I said 'yes, he's a fantastic footballer'. He said do you want him, I said 'can we get him?'."

I read that Van der Vaart was given to Redknapp as well. Who is making their transfer decisions? As far as I'm aware they don't have a director of football, so is Levy doing it on his own?

Really annoyed this morning reading the papers mentioning 'credit crunch' and 'recession' in relation to the transfer window. The bulk of the spending came from Abramovich's pocket. They're quoting this "£200 million" figure, but really it's nonsense.

Why am I annoyed that you're annoyed about the papers mentioning "credit crunch" and "recession" The football world's gone mad. Players getting 50,000 pounds A WEEK and nobody bats an eyelid. Players being transferred for 5 million, 20 million, fifty million ... I don't know about you Le CHuck. Maybe you've got a good job. Things are going OK for you but there are many people out there who are seriously struggling. Probably many people who've given up on watching football because they're sick of seeing players and agents getting greedier. Seems to me the Premier League is like our house prices over the last ten years. Everyone can see that it just doesn't make sense but we just keep on buying and selling till it becomes unsustainable. The transfer window hasn't helped the situation in my opinion.

Rant over, nothing personal. Maybe I'm the only one on this board who can't get his head round it.

I think Formica, Rochina, Jones and Hoilett will play an important role in taking us back up the table into places where European football should be a possibility. I am very positive about the future!

Good times to be a Rovers supporter.

Eh? Well if they really did accept Spurs bid, they didn't mislead him, did they?

Secondly, I was stating that Liverpool weren't rational buyers, and if Carroll is with £40m, then yes, Adam is worth £14m.

Massive panic buy with a ridiculous fee. But if he scores 25+ a season over the length of his contract then he's probably worth it. But that's a big if.

The whole transfer window simply amplifies panic and creates hugely inflated markets that actually do not benefit anyone. Viz top tips had it right when they said pretend you have a transfer window in your works canteen by buying a pot noodle for twenty quid just before it closes.

At the start of the season who would have said that Andy Carroll and Charlie Adam could cost £50m between the pair of them? Laughable then, laughable now. I expect the only one really happy is Ashley at Newcastle. But I expect that will fade when they try to buy someone in summer and automatically get an extra 50% added onto the fee because everyone knows they trousered 35 mil for the next Alan Shearer. More likely the next Peter Crouch.

Good on Blackpool for resisting. That took guts as it could turn out badly for them if they get next to nothing in the summer and can't strengthen for that all-important 2nd season.

Rovers did okay I think. Could be brilliant if the two Latin lads settle and live up to the promise. Hopefully we are seeing a young team take shape that should mean a positive few years coming up. Hope so!

Best transfer windows since the days of Hughes when the Trust were still backing us.

Also a good window for what didn't happen

- we didn't sign Geovanni and Boyd (I always suspected Kentaro's list might have had more than 2 names on it)

- we didn't sign other Kentaro out of work rubbish

- The "mutineers" apparently not only wilted but signed up for life

- We didn't spend the window "closing in on a mystery striker"

- We didn't just stick to the ex-manager's list and signed young talent from two major clubs

In short, it was absolutely nothing like the doomsayers had been predicting.

Archived