BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Williams Leaves

Ray P

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No suprise to me I'm afraid. I said when the take over happened that he'd likely be heading for the exit door. It's what happens after most take overs and has had an air of inevitability about it for the past two months. He's steered the ship well over his tenure as CE and Chairman and worked well with the old owners although the shadow of the Ince appointment did provide the one major blot on his copybook. (We never did have that meeting.)

Good luck, thank you and best wishes to John and his family.

What a great reply Roversider! I'm going to just agree on all the points rather than re word what would be a repeat, I am however, going to be singing a few songs at Wigan, just hope you are their or are listening John.

Yes - lets see if we can get a few "One John Williams" chants going at Wigan. NOT to have a dig at our new owners - but to thank a man who showed true dedication to the job and what appeared a genuine affection for the club.

The writing was probably on the wall the day the Venky's purchased the club - did they not say that Rover's hadn't been sold particularly well and that they thought they could build on that ? Whichever way you look at it - JW was top of the shop - and so they must have perceived (rightly or wrongly) from the start that there was room for improvement.

JW did an unbelievable job for us, often in difficult circumstances - and for me deserved far more respect than "appears" to have been shown by our new owners. However - they have a brave new vision for the club - which relies on taking us into expanding markets - maybe JW didn't fit into that vision. Also, his commendable loyalty to Sam may have been is undoing - possibly (to them) demonstrating that he doesn't share their vision - who knows, I don't claim to.

It is a sad day - but not the end of the club. I remember with managers like Kendall leaving for Everton, Kenny resigning, Hughes moving to City - also great sadness at the passing of Bill Fox (another of Rovers great chairman) - but the club rolls on. The family club for me was lost some years ago when we joined the EPL and it became a business. The family club was when we had no money - standing on the terraces in the Riverside with less than 10k there - all loyal - no hangers on just to see Fabregas or Rooney. But things move on - but the club still stands.

This doesn't bode well for the club, or us, the season ticket holders.

I can see a fairly steep hike in prices next year.

All the best to JW though, a great servant to the club, and in my opinion, one of the best chairmen in the league.

maybe it was time to go

great chairman though for a club struggling with the pennies.

The fact we can consider surviving without him is good though, we have been a desperate club for nearly 10 years.

sure he got a lot of coin for his troubles.

wasn't it part of the terms of takeover that John Williams keeps his job until the end if his contract?

I'm tempted to say that subsequent events suggest that the Venkey's mob never read those terms. :rolleyes:

In any case I'm sure that could have been countermanded by mutual agreement Wilky.

Well there you have it, I (and others) have been sitting on this for a while now and it eventually happened yesterday, almost on cue eh? As promised here is my post on the subject.

My first reaction is one of anger, not only with the Venky clan who clearly had all this in their minds since day one, but also with the numptys who, if they weren't so consistently hostile and abrasive could have helped join a ground swell of supporter opinion that could have prevented this.

Everything posted on here by people 'in the know' is actually true then it seems. It's never possible to disclose chapter and verse without compromising sources but given that we all clearly have the best interests of the club at heart why the heck do others set themselves out to be appeasers and apologists dressed up as loyalty.

Were players in open revolt and had to have their contracts 'renegotiated' to quieten things down? Were the agents encamped down at Brockhall? Were JW and others persuaded to stay on last time? etc, etc. Open your eyes, what more do people want, someone to tattoo it on their foreheads. Well 'show me the facts' Doubting Thomas here is the hole to poke your fingers in. Enjoy, you're now one of the 'in crowd'. Thanks for all the support.

The club that was once BRFC is now no more, pure and simple. The name survives but there are no standard bearers to carry forward what that name stands for. 'Family' has gone out of the window. It's now just a distant arm of some multinational that just happens to be situated in Blackburn (for the time being).

A number of us have been working b*lls out behind the scenes for a while now to try and rescue the situation and on one occasion we actually thought we were very very close but alas we now come to this. There's no rescuing this particular situation, the fat lady has sung.

As long as the positive results continue on the field then certain 'supporters' who care about nothing more than points will stay happy, when/if things start to go wrong they'll jump ship in their droves. For those that felt part of the soul of this club irrespective of points or position, well sorry guys and gals that club is now long gone IMO.

It's a sad and bitter day. The only person who truly knew what Jack wanted has now been heaved out of the window. I wonder who'll get the job?

Thanks John for all your work over the years. You made a difference and you will be missed.

I stand by what I said. This doesn't make it any less true.

He did a great job for Rovers, but he was going to leave at some point. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Things can't stay the same forever, sometimes you just have to take the plunge into the future. I highly doubt that a lot of people who post on this board will be willing to join me in doing so.

Well there you have it, I (and others) have been sitting on this for a while now and it eventually happened yesterday, almost on cue eh? As promised here is my post on the subject.

My first reaction is one of anger, not only with the Venky clan who clearly had all this in their minds since day one, but also with the numptys who, if they weren't so consistently hostile and abrasive could have helped join a ground swell of supporter opinion that could have prevented this.

Everything posted on here by people 'in the know' is actually true then it seems. It's never possible to disclose chapter and verse without compromising sources but given that we all clearly have the best interests of the club at heart why the heck do others set themselves out to be appeasers and apologists dressed up as loyalty.

Were players in open revolt and had to have their contracts 'renegotiated' to quieten things down? Were the agents encamped down at Brockhall? Were JW and others persuaded to stay on last time? etc, etc. Open your eyes, what more do people want, someone to tattoo it on their foreheads. Well 'show me the facts' Doubting Thomas here is the hole to poke your fingers in. Enjoy, you're now one of the 'in crowd'. Thanks for all the support.

The club that was once BRFC is now no more, pure and simple. The name survives but there are no standard bearers to carry forward what that name stands for. 'Family' has gone out of the window. It's now just a distant arm of some multinational that just happens to be situated in Blackburn (for the time being).

A number of us have been working b*lls out behind the scenes for a while now to try and rescue the situation and on one occasion we actually thought we were very very close but alas we now come to this. There's no rescuing this particular situation, the fat lady has sung.

As long as the positive results continue on the field then certain 'supporters' who care about nothing more than points will stay happy, when/if things start to go wrong they'll jump ship in their droves. For those that felt part of the soul of this club irrespective of points or position, well sorry guys and gals that club is now long gone IMO.

It's a sad and bitter day. The only person who truly knew what Jack wanted has now been heaved out of the window. I wonder who'll get the job?

Thanks John for all your work over the years. You made a difference and you will be missed.

Timmy,

Don't you work in investments/banking/trading? (I seem to recall - could be wrong).

Your surprise at the replacement of chairman by a new owner surprises me.

John Williams is a legend who always had the best interest of the club in mind. After years of working on selling the club, he must have known that it would ultimately lead to change - and that it might well mean the end of his 'reign'.

I sincerely wish JW all the best for the future, hopefully this does not only mark the end of something good, but also the start of something exciting.

Thank you John Williams.

Arte et labore

I stand by what I said. This doesn't make it any less true.

He did a great job for Rovers, but he was going to leave at some point. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Things can't stay the same forever, sometimes you just have to take the plunge into the future. I highly doubt that a lot of people who post on this board will be willing to join me in doing so.

I'm with you, great Chairman, but new owners, new era, JW is just going to be out of the loop costing A LOT of money.

JW did a very good job at desperate times.

But (touch wood) thats in the past, move on.

sure JW will have a very happy retirement wit hte great work he has done and the pay off.

John Williams invited me in persoanlly on a couple of occasions to discuss the Rovers "off the record". He made me a brew, chatted like he was my best mate and countered all my grumbles about key decisions that were made in his reign. eg. The sale of Bellamy. I wish him all the best- a thoroughly decent chap.

John William is a top bloke, he also invited me and my brother for talks when Ince took over, my brother wrote an email slating the signing of Fowler and we chatted for a good hr. I wish him all luck in whatever he does next.

I somehow doubt the new chairman will be as inviting as Mr Williams.

Give it a rest! Johns position was always going to be uncertain following a take over, regardless of who the new owners are. The fact Venkys and John have parted company doesnt say Venkys are clueless with hidden agends, just times move on.

What do you want from the club? To be constantly scratcing around for free transfers, constantly under the threat of relegation?

If you want a family club with no ambition, Accy Stanley are always down the road.

Everyone loved John, and we all hope he still comes to the games as a fan.

I hope the Anti Venkys brigade arent as gloomy outside of football as they are on this board.

PaulPlunkettLT Paul Plunkett

Losing JW is an enormous wrench but the manner of his leaving is an utter disgrace and totally undermines the new ownership.

I agree - it is unfortunate. If, however, there has been any mishandling/maltreatment, I expect John will have foregone the opportunity to take a substantial wedge/sign a NDA. He will then be able to give us an insightful interview about what really happened.

John Williams invited me in persoanlly on a couple of occasions to discuss the Rovers "off the record". He made me a brew, chatted like he was my best mate and countered all my grumbles about key decisions that were made in his reign. eg. The sale of Bellamy. I wish him all the best- a thoroughly decent chap.

John William is a top bloke, he also invited me and my brother for talks when Ince took over, my brother wrote an email slating the signing of Fowler and we chatted for a good hr. I wish him all luck in whatever he does next.

I somehow doubt the new chairman will be as inviting as Mr Williams.

Archived