BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers new Chairman - Who will it be?!

Hughesy

The usual negativity abounds.

Paul Agnew knows the club as well as anyone. He has been there for a decade - or so.

He also works with the manager and the players.

It made sense to me when I heard it and, after checking it, I am very confident about the story.

Agnew was a chief exec at Preston for some time and has that on his CV.

Those with longer memories will recall John Williams had NO football knowledge before he took the post.

Anyway, don't let a sensible solution spoil the conspiracy theory crap that seems to have gripped the inmates.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know that PA as been around the club for 10 years now.

I thought the owners would want a chairman with excellent marketing background to improve the club's sponsorship deals and marketing of the club in Asia, Far East and South America.

I am surprise that the owners haven't appoint TF as Chairman.

is he likely to stay on as Managing Director if Paul Agnew is appoint as Chairman.

Fair response Nicko.

Do you think Agnew is an independent thinker? Or more of someone who will be tied in to just do the PR while the club is run hands on from Pune?

An independent thinker? Ffs. Is this a commune?

What is needed is someone to liaise between the owners in India and the club in Blackburn.

You can't have the manager tearing over to India for meetings.

You can't have an empty director's box like yesterday.

You need someone to get the messages across and run the club more efficiently.

I'm screwed. I made a very serious promise to never comment on Paul Agnew again on here after I got in a lot of hot water for pointing out what I believed were his failings in PR (what heady times those seem now, where the only thing I could complain about was the club's inability to tell the fans what a great job they were doing), which I could see being a problem with our desire to keep the site staunchly neutral.

I'm hoping this is simply Nicko stumbling across the same email/PM that seems to have gone around a LOT of fans in the last few weeks, but I suspect Mr Nixon has done a little more digging than that.

Anyway, good to have you back Alan, will there be an 11 O'Clocker ? :P

There was something going around about a month ago suggesting agnew and lee grooby were in pune persuading desai that she should give them elevated jobs

and the rider to that rumour, was that PA going for the chairmans job was a running joke between the staff at Ewood.

What is needed is someone to liaise between the owners in India and the club in Blackburn.

But do you really think this is the best we could do ? surely there must be better candidates out there ?

It sounds like it is just a sign of the times, uninspired and second rate.

What did he do at PNE by the way ?

Erm... Didn't we have the ideal candidate for that role in a certain Mr John Williams?

Forgive my cynicism here Nicko, but it's a bit bloody strange that after several months of total absence from this message board, along comes a story from yourself in the press that has massive implications for our club, then you appear like the shop keeper from Mr Ben to give your blessing and approval with words to draw in the lesser thinkers around these parts...

I am not convinced in the slightest that Mr Agnew is suitable at all in running a Premier League football club (currently), so ok he has been a Chief Exec for Preston years ago, Christ that's hardly a glowing endorsement of his capabilities is it and how many years ago was this?

If he was such an amazing candidate for such a position as a Premier League chairman don't you think he would sat up there doing the role in some other Premier League club plying his trade?

Well no of course he isn't, he is a bloody Press Officer, a role you couldn't get further from the massive responsibility of running a Premier League club day to day.

Strikes me as another yes man for the Venky's lot to stick in a position of responsibility who will not rock the sinking boat, very similar to the other candidate for another certain role you had great confidence in not so long ago and look at what a major success he has turned out to be.

Some folks may follow your mantra blindly around here Nicko but I am afraid I am not one of those, it's all become far too clear what the agenda is here.

We had them nicko. They were called John Williams and Sam Allardyce. They did a pretty good job until these clowns got hold of the club. Next you'll be telling us that Agnew is another gem like our wonderful new manager who has taken two points from the last 18! Good job Kean gives a good presser as he's pretty clueless at winning points!

The fact he did that whilst the previous management structure was in place has always bothered me. To my eyes there are two reasons the shop floor worker goes running to the MD, either they have lost faith in every single part of the hierarchy above them (and genuinely believe they can be the true saviour) or they are simply not a team player and saw the opportunity for rapid career advancement at the cost of those around them, ruthless but effective.

I could almost forgive the second option if it produced better results.

Erm... Didn't we have the ideal candidate for that role in a certain Mr John Williams?

Forgive my cynicism here Nicko, but it's a bit bloody strange that after several months of total absence from this message board, along comes a story from yourself in the press that has massive implications for our club, then you appear like the shop keeper from Mr Ben to give your blessing and approval with words to draw in the lesser thinkers around these parts...

I am not convinced in the slightest that Mr Agnew is suitable at all in running a Premier League football club (currently), so ok he has been a Chief Exec for Preston years ago, Christ that's hardly a glowing endorsement of his capabilities is it and how many years ago was this?

If he was such an amazing candidate for such a position as a Premier League chairman don't you think he would sat up there doing the role in some other Premier League club plying his trade?

Well no of course he isn't, he is a bloody Press Officer, a role you couldn't get further from the massive responsibility of running a Premier League club day to day.

Strikes me as another yes man for the Venky's lot to stick in a position of responsibility who will not rock the sinking boat, very similar to the other candidate for another certain role you had great confidence in not so long ago and look at what a major success he has turned out to be.

Some folks may follow your mantra blindly around here Nicko but I am afraid I am not one of those, it's all become far too clear what the agenda is here.

Like I say, the usual crap.

Several months? I wish.

I came on to throw more light on the story. Shoudn't have bothered.

I think some people enjoy stumbling around in the dark.

The fact he did that whilst the previous management structure was in place has always bothered me. To my eyes there are two reasons the shop floor worker goes running to the MD, either they have lost faith in every single part of the hierarchy above them (and genuinely believe they can be the true saviour) or they are simply not a team player and saw the opportunity for rapid career advancement at the cost of those around them, ruthless but effective.

Happens in all organisations and all walks of life - chancers and careerists see management change at the top as their opportunity for advancement, ingratiate themselves with the new people and come out with the best jobs irrespective of their ability. Personally if I were the owners I'd show those sort of brown-nosers the exit door.

Toys out of pram Nicko, I expected a more reasoned response than that...

Come on look at it from this side of the fence, it's a bit of a coincidence isn't it that this story is breaking from yourself and then you pop on here to give it your approval with the usual slant?

It's not that I am after an argument or falling out with yourself, I just find it mighty suspicious of how this has transpired.

If you had maintained a presence on the message board, posting the odd ditty here and there then this wouldn't have seemed so out of the ordinary, but seen as though the last post you made was on the 9th January this all strikes me as being a bit strange and needs questioning a bit further in my opinion.

Sorry that's just the way I am these day's with matters concerning my football team and it's hardly surprising is it?

Like I say, the usual crap.

Several months? I wish.

I think some people enjoy stumbling around in the dark.

So, illuminate us. So far the only thing that doesn't make me think this is a rehash of a widely circulated email which contained an in-joke about PA is your previous contributions and professional reputation.

I actually agree that the club in a way would be better off with PA as chairman, with the strings very much being pulled from India as frankly, that's what we have now, only with (as you point out) an empty seat for the chairman. Whoever we get will, in the fans eyes, has a near impossible task to fill JW's shoes, so is on a hiding to nothing. At the very least, it may way result in a different way of us handling PR.

Toys out of pram Nicko, I expected a more reasoned response than that...

Come on look at it from this side of the fence, it's a bit of a coincidence isn't it that this story is breaking from yourself and then you pop on here to give it your approval with the usual slant?

It's not that I am after an argument or falling out with yourself, I just find it mighty suspicious of how this has transpired.

If you had maintained a presence on the message board, posting the odd ditty here and there then this wouldn't have seemed so out of the ordinary, but seen as though the last post you made was on the 9th January this all strikes me as being a bit strange and needs questioning a bit further in my opinion.

Sorry that's just the way I am these day's with matters concerning my football team and it's hardly surprising is it?

January 9? Do your research a bit better, eh.

Sums up the level of tripe that has been going on around here lately.

I backed off a few weeks back because [a] there was little doing, the level of trash being talked was annoying me and [c] I hadn't seen your team for some time.

Now there is a story and I thought I would add a bit to it.

Some people, supposed supporters, need to take a right good look at themselves.

Just compare the level of backing Blackpool got pre kick-off to yours yesterday...said it all really.

Yes, there are plenty of problems to be addressed. But that doesn't men you go around like mopes and hysterics when there is a job to be done - and that means backing your team.

So, illuminate us. So far the only thing that doesn't make me think this is a rehash of a widely circulated email which contained an in-joke about PA is your previous contributions and professional reputation.

I actually agree that the club in a way would be better off with PA as chairman, with the strings very much being pulled from India as frankly, that's what we have now, only with (as you point out) an empty seat for the chairman. Whoever we get will, in the fans eyes, has a near impossible task to fill JW's shoes, so is on a hiding to nothing. At the very least, it may way result in a different way of us handling PR.

I don't know anything about an e-mail. There is so much garbage flying around just now that I am glad I didn't.

The tale came from a very good source and after a week of calls I am pretty happy with the info.

There is another candidate in the frame, but Paul Agnew seems to have the backing of some of the people in the inner circle.

January 9? Do your research a bit better, eh.

Sums up the level of tripe that has been going on around here lately.

I backed off a few weeks back because [a] there was little doing, the level of trash being talked was annoying me and [c] I hadn't seen your team for some time.

Now there is a story and I thought I would add a bit to it.

Some people, supposed supporters, need to take a right good look at themselves.

Just compare the level of backing Blackpool got pre kick-off to yours yesterday...said it all really.

Yes, there are plenty of problems to be addressed. But that doesn't men you go around like mopes and hysterics when there is a job to be done - and that means backing your team.

Many of the problems have been self inflicted by the owners ..

Archived