BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mubarak gone

When night next falls in Libya hopefully Gadaffi has pulled back from attacking Benghazi.

Otherwise I think the proverbial may well hit the fan.Let's face it...there are a few scores to settle with the fella.

He folded like a deckchair. No one is better at shooting down a Mirage as the French that alone made him piddle some yellow water.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Libya jobby would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic and insulting to our intelligence. A few pick up trucks equipped with 40 year old weapons and a rabble (whose actions resemble those of our rioters more than anything) fire uselessly into the air and stamp on blazing effigies of Gaddafi whilst the real power behind the rebellion RAF Tornadoes scream overhead taking out any target that our Special forces advisors on the ground provide coordinates and instruct them too. How gullible do the govt, the press and the media think we are? So man reporters are everywhere attempting to find some angle or story instead of simply pointing their camera's into the sky and waiting. Gaddafi's fate was sealed months ago in Whitehall but it's ironic that after Lockerbie his downfall is being sealed from the air. That statue of a Libyan fist grabbing a fighter plane is the supreme irony... it's as much smaller than I'd imagined too. I'm not saying Gadaffi's demise isn't deserved cos it is, but why do we have to pratt around pretending that a tribe or two of sand jockeys are really a crack band of latter day Universal Soldiers masquerading as Freedom Fighters. I'm amazed that lot even managed to find Tripoli on the map. We and the French will of course benefit from the oil reserves and influence with the arabs but it was so much more open and honest in the old days when a few regiments of red coats were ordered to go in and get the job done, take whatever they wanted, get blood on their bayonets and didnt need to give a flying one about the opinions of any other jumped up 3rd world governments, evil major powers and assorted civil rights namby pambies.

We and the French will of course benefit from the oil reserves and influence with the arabs.....

You are right Gordon. The French company Total is already in with the rebel council, and have first dibs on the oil. Not sure about our companies, but Brazil, China and another country have had their Gaddafi era deals cancelled.

Just a point with respect to Libya as potential to be the next for revolt. The Libyan system is very different to that of Tunisia or Egypt in the the Colonel has fed a lot of the oil revenue back down to the general population.

I am actually in Tripoli right now and the general feeling from the people I speak to is that there is no groudswell of opposition to the regime. Most people here are pretty happy with their lot with low taxes, fuel and food prices etc. Yes there is unemployment but most peole that want a job in Tripoli are found one by the government. We have to hire a given number of locals per ex-pat or rotator and occasionally more on top - this is not optional.

I am sure there are disgruntled locals but not to the extent that we have seen elsewhere. Algeria is next to go belly up for me and I suspect that that could turn very nasty before it is resolved.

Anyway, I am out of here on the 16th so if it kicks off after that so be it :D

hindsights amazing :P

hindsights amazing :P

:lol:

I am still gobsmacked that it did not hit the fan in Algeria before Libya but hey ho. We are already planning to have some guys back in Bengazhi to start doing some rig surveys and access the damage by the end of Sept.

Don't think i'll be planning a trip just yet.......

So pleased things are looking more positive for Libya. Hardly a scientific cross-section but all the Libyans I have met have been lovely people.

If the new Libya allows/encourages business enterprise, the place will boom. There are a lot of very proficient business people who have done well despite Ghadaffy.

So pleased things are looking more positive for Libya. Hardly a scientific cross-section but all the Libyans I have met have been lovely people.

If the new Libya allows/encourages business enterprise, the place will boom. There are a lot of very proficient business people who have done well despite Ghadaffy.

Agree on all points philipl.

I think the big opportunity is what they do with oil/gas revenue. Do they choose a Norwegian model and ensure that all the revenue is invested in the country’s infrastructure for the good of all or will we end up with a few grubby hands on the pot as usual.

Another concept being played out a little further South is in Chad where to prevent corruption all hydrocarbon revenue is controlled by the World Bank. Now I am sure that many will say that they are simply better dressed crooks but it’s certainly an interesting concept, although one dealing with much smaller reserves than on hand in Libya.

Interesting time ahead I think.

Agree on all points philipl.

I think the big opportunity is what they do with oil/gas revenue. Do they choose a Norwegian model and ensure that all the revenue is invested in the country’s infrastructure for the good of all or will we end up with a few grubby hands on the pot as usual.

Another concept being played out a little further South is in Chad where to prevent corruption all hydrocarbon revenue is controlled by the World Bank. Now I am sure that many will say that they are simply better dressed crooks but it’s certainly an interesting concept, although one dealing with much smaller reserves than on hand in Libya.

Interesting time ahead I think.

There is a passion and a national pride bout Libyans who want their country to be better that I think even if it goes corrupt, the corrupt will have to build infrastructure and development to survive. The people from the NTC seem to be genuinely impressing all they meet but mad dog Gadaffy is not the sort of guy to be left running around for long. Getting him quickly is a hue priority.

Chad is an interesting experiment.

Plenty of chronyism but at least it is generating housing and infrastructure projects. The Chinese have got such cost advantages, not many other people are getting a look in although the Libyan entrepreneurs are often the smart ones putting supplies and projects together.

Archived