BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ronaldo Luíz Nazário de Lima

A sad day for me - possibly my favourite player ever, and probably the best striker of my generation.

One of the most complete strikers ever to grace the game.

Such a shame that his career suffered due to injury

Even more of a shame that coz of that 'other' Ronaldo, the all time WC record goal scorer has long been referred to by people as 'fat' Ronaldo.

Thanks for the memories pal, and good luck in your retirement

ESPN

I think his fondness of pies and burgers may be the real reason why people refer to him as 'Fat Ronaldo', but I agree with what you're saying.

Proper legend of the modern game and what a goalscorer.

And who can forget the drama of the WC Final, with the seizures and rumours of him being extremely unwell?

At his best he was an absolute incredible player. We tried to sign him to replace Shearer but unfortunately he went to Barca. Not my fav striker by far, but what a player - probably a wise move to retire considering the injury problems he's had to endure throughout his career.

How did he peak exactly?

As a youngster he was incredible. Then he picked up the bad injuries. After that he changed his style but was still incredible in his later years at AC and Real.

Much like the OP, easily my fave player ever and will go down as one of the greats, him and Zidane lit up his generation.

How did he peak exactly?

As a youngster he was incredible. Then he picked up the bad injuries. After that he changed his style but was still incredible in his later years at AC and Real.

Much like the OP, easily my fave player ever and will go down as one of the greats, him and Zidane lit up his generation.

Amen to that, Zidane is only just behind him in my estimation.

Back when Serie A was the best league in the world, in the late 90s there were simply some incredible players around.

Ronaldo hardly peaked early. He won three world player of the year awards, and came back from two serious knee injuries to simply own WC 2002.

Must be just me ( wearing a tin hat in anticipation :P )but I never could understand all the glorification of him.

Whenever I saw him , which is certainy not as much as others he was just a normal player with a turn of pace.

Yes you can't argue with his goal tally and ratio but I didn't think him anything special and not a patch on Shearer.

How did he peak exactly?

You don't think winning world player of the year at 20 years old and again at 21 years old is hitting your peak early?

Blimey :huh:

I didn't say he was crap after that he was still quality.

• Backroom

The guy was brilliant:

Fair play to the United fans there, on their way out of the Champions league but still appluad him off the pitch. Reminds me of when Le Tissier scored his wonder goal at Ewood, I've never seen so many people clap an opposition goal.

That Madrid right back looks handy as well

If it wasn't for Pele, he woud go down as the best Brazilian striker in history which arguably puts him in the top 3 or 4 strikers ever to grace the game.

One of the few modern Brazilian strikers to follow through on the seemingly unlimited talent they have in their teens.

Legend.

I have been watching football since 92 and i have to say that he is the best player after Messi that i seen. Pace, power and fantastic dribbling skills, he had it all. An underrated trait was his ability to evolve his game from a Messi-type of player to become a pure penalty box goal poacher after his injuries.

Truly a Phenomenon!

Messi has a long long way to go before being a patch on Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has done it on every stage and in the games that matter, that for me is what seperates him from being great to being a legend.

Messi goes hiding in the big games, just look at the WC and CL last season.

I have been watching football since 92 and i have to say that he is the best player after Messi that i seen. Pace, power and fantastic dribbling skills, he had it all. An underrated trait was his ability to evolve his game from a Messi-type of player to become a pure penalty box goal poacher after his injuries.

Truly a Phenomenon!

Not a Zidane fan RoversSG? He'd be the number one of my era (90's+) for sure.

No doubt that Ronaldo was a phenomenon - particularly before injury struck. Back in his Barca days he was, as you say, like Messi - unplayable.

it always saddens me to think we never got to see these players in the premier league, the zidanes, ronaldos, figos, ronaldinhos, ply their trade over here, i feel like we have missed out with these types of players. These kind of players would have really raised the bar over here.

Archived