BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ronaldo Luíz Nazário de Lima

As a teenage boy, Ronaldo (along with the obligatory Zinedine Zidane) was my hero. I remember as a 14 year old spending the day fidgeting in school, straining at the leash to get home to see the opening match of France 98. Brazil were playing Scotland and the mighty, bald-headed fenomeno was about to light it up. Okay he didn't score that day, nor did he play that well, but the sheer spectacle was amongst the most exciting experiences of my young life; the vibrant colours, the golden Nike jerseys, the emerald number 9 on Ronaldo's shirt, his bespoke silver, blue and yellow boots.

In the age before widespread satellite TV, omnipresent internet coverage and Youtube, players like Ronaldo were almost mythical beings. Sure, I watched Football Italia but there he shared the stage with the great artists - and indeed artisans - of Italian football: Maldini, Baresi, Del Piero, Zanetti, Paulo Monterro. His talent alone deserved its own Saturday morning magazine and so, to my mind at least, there was a definite mystique when it came to Ronaldo. There were really only snatches of his exploits; the footage of his one season at Barcelona and the slightly more sustained exposure he earned in the UK when he was at Inter.

At his peak - a period which is certainly longer than many recall - he was simply unstoppable. Unimpeded by injury he was the most exciting, electrifying player of the last 20 years, and that includes the current leaders in the world game Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi. Of his generation, he may have lacked the balletic genius of Zidane, the efficient brilliance of Figo, the explosiveness of Rivaldo's goalscoring or the unhinged joy of Ronaldinho but he possessed a hunger to score goals that was matched by a boundless talent. His stats underline what an incredible finisher he was but you have to see for yourself the manner in which he plundered goals. He was not adverse to a tap-in or a scrapper but his natural ability meant that he could create something from nothing, finish off his own work and destroy even the most miserly of defences. Scorching speed, outrageous technique, lightning fast feet and a genuine ability to manipulate the ball with either foot all combined to establish him as the best striker of the modern era bar none.

My favourite Ronaldo memories:

- His goal against Morocco at France 98. The ball was clipped over the top, dropping over his left shoulder. He let it bounce once before unleashing a blistering volley that dipped viciously out of the keeper's reach. I remember Barry Davies being almost speechless.

- His goal in the semi-final against Holland at France 98. The ball was played low into the penalty area. Ronaldo got across his marker, held the guy off and in one movement controlled then finished with his left foot. Incredible centre forward play.

- His performance in the 1998 UEFA Cup final against Lazio. He scored with a lovely faint around the keeper and dominated the game from start to finish. He even unveiled the 'snake' move that Ronaldinho was so fond of in later years.

- His hat-trick against United in the 2002 Champions League. It was so satisfying to watch those smug southerners at Old Trafford being silenced by the genius of a player they could only ever dream of seeing in a red shirt.

- The entire 2002 World Cup. He was the tournament's outstanding performer, the spearhead in an incredibly good Brazilian team which contained fellow superstars Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu and Roberto Carlos. He destroyed each opponent as the team blazed its way to the ultimate victory. Considering how his previous World Cup had ended, along with the string of woeful injuries he'd suffered in the years since Paris, the achievement was even more spectacular. More specifically his second goal in the final was simply brilliant.

- The 2006 World Cup. He was now fat and very lazy but he still grabbed four goals (including a scorcher against Japan and a vintage shuffle and tap-in against Ghana) to cement his place as the greatest striker ever to play in the World Cup.

Not a Zidane fan RoversSG? He'd be the number one of my era (90's+) for sure.

No doubt that Ronaldo was a phenomenon - particularly before injury struck. Back in his Barca days he was, as you say, like Messi - unplayable.

For me, if i have to choose between a peak Ronaldo or a peak Zidane, i would choose a peak Ronaldo. Having said that, Zidane is still my favorite player :wacko:

Guest roverspogges

My mates favourite player (of our generation) is ronaldo. Zidane is mine but its all about what kind of player you prefer really, good luck to Mr blobby though.

• Moderation Lead

As a striker, he had it all. Could score with either foot or with his head- brilliant footballer. In his early days at Barca, and at Inter when he wasn't injured he could well have been the best striker I've seen.

Rivaldo probably my favourite player of the '90s era, though I am biased as a lefty :blush:

If he hadn't left Barca for AC Milan I think he would have gone down in far greater legendary status. (Getting hit in the knee then pretending it was his face aside) :lol:

As a striker, he had it all. Could score with either foot or with his head- brilliant footballer. In his early days at Barca, and at Inter when he wasn't injured he could well have been the best striker I've seen.

Rivaldo probably my favourite player of the '90s era, though I am biased as a lefty :blush:

If he hadn't left Barca for AC Milan I think he would have gone down in far greater legendary status. (Getting hit in the knee then pretending it was his face aside) :lol:

He went from Barca to Inter, only later did he join AC. Scored a truckload of goals in every club, despite his weight and injury concerns. Can only imagine what a Barca legend he could have turned out to be had he stayed and stayed injury free.

If...

:)

He went from Barca to Inter, only later did he join AC. Scored a truckload of goals in every club, despite his weight and injury concerns. Can only imagine what a Barca legend he could have turned out to be had he stayed and stayed injury free.

If...

:)

Think he was talking about Rivaldo :o

If not for the injuries he'd have been talked about in the same breath as Pele and Maradona. Still one of the best players of his generation though, if not the best. I seem to recall there being a video on youtube of all his goals as a Barca player. Well worth a watch if you can find it, he looks absolutely unstoppable there.

Archived