BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

Intrigued to see what Kean will do with Phil against Blackpool and thereafter.

Kean reckons he's a centre half and future England captain. Well, if he's that good, he should be in there instead of Samba or Nelsen.

Alternatively, play him where Sam did - sitting in front of the back four. Not his best position, however, I would take a 90% fit Phil Jones instead of Gella, Nzonzi or J. Jones, every single day of the week.

I think he will take the easy option, for Kean, and start with him on the bench.

For me, he has to start - in our position we need exactly what Jones has, ability, passion, drive and bottle.

Our hopes of staying-up may well rest on the precocious shoulders of Jones. Let's hope that Kean gets this one right!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel we've badly missed him in midfield. He'd be all over the pitch, getting into dangerous positions, but always able to get back and defend. Nelsen and Samba were probably better off for it, having Jones in front of them.

I feel we've badly missed him in midfield. He'd be all over the pitch, getting into dangerous positions, but always able to get back and defend. Nelsen and Samba were probably better off for it, having Jones in front of them.

I'd have to agree, we've certainly missed his enthusiasm I for one will be glad to see him back, I just hope there are no lasting effect from that injury, physical or mental.

I thought Phil was excellent at Bloomfield Road, battling right through to the 94th minute in midfield.

If he's passed fit, get him in there.

We will have to be careful with him or he could pick up another niggle or two and he would be out for a few more games!!

We will have to be careful with him or he could pick up another niggle or two and he would be out for a few more games!!

He has to be risked some time. He is no good sitting in the stand.

There is no doubt that centre half is his best position but we already have two passable players for that position. On the other hand there is a total dearth of talent in centre midfield and the lad is miles better than anyone else we have to put there. For the sake of the team as a whole, that is where he should be played until we have someone else as good.

I'd love to see him start the game but not at the expense of seeing him limp off having tweaked a hamstring or having felt his calf tighten.

He cannot be ready to play flat out for 94 minutes.

Therefore a sensible manager will have him on the bench.

He may play the occasional game in midfield when he comes back however I can't see him playing as much there as he did under Sam. One of the main conditions when he signed a new deal was that Kean would be playing him in defense, if Kean continues to play him in midfield I can see one outcome and that's Phil leaving the club. He's good enough even at his young age to play as a starter in this league in what is his best position, if he doesn't get that he will be off.

I always used to say I wasn't a fan of having Jones in midfield wanted him at centre back, but boy have we missed him. Even though he's a natural centre half he definitely added some bite and pure work rate to the midfield under Big Sam. It would be great to see him in the squad but to have him in the starting eleven or to bring him on under pressure would be a naive decision. Needs to be slowly eased back in after his injury.

• Backroom

He played 45 for the reserves tonight, I doubt we'll see him this weekend.

Neither Formica nor Rochina were in tonights squad.

• Backroom

I thought he was decent when he came on but his decision making was a little off, pedersen would have been nearly clean through but Jones kept going straight on. Still very assured for his first game back.

I think him and J jones can make a good partnership.

I thought he was decent when he came on but his decision making was a little off, pedersen would have been nearly clean through but Jones kept going straight on. Still very assured for his first game back.

I think him and J jones can make a good partnership.

I also hink the Jones brothers can make a huge impact. Both of them are extremely quick, very tough in the tackle, can pass a bit, fight very hard, can sit deep and drive forward, good in the air. There is the possibility that we could just simply out work and out fight other team's midfield with those two in there.

The work rate also makes 442 look like it's more of a realistic possibility. The big benfactor could be Kalinic from P Jones coming back as it means he will get games.

A four of Olsson, P Jones, J Jones, Hoilett would probably be the fastest midfield ever to have turned out for Rovers. Got to be a bonus in desperate times.

I also hink the Jones brothers can make a huge impact. Both of them are extremely quick, very tough in the tackle, can pass a bit, fight very hard, can sit deep and drive forward, good in the air. There is the possibility that we could just simply out work and out fight other team's midfield with those two in there.

The work rate also makes 442 look like it's more of a realistic possibility. The big benfactor could be Kalinic from P Jones coming back as it means he will get games.

A four of Olsson, P Jones, J Jones, Hoilett would probably be the fastest midfield ever to have turned out for Rovers. Got to be a bonus in desperate times.

Spot on post Joey, I agree, the Jone's twins are going to be pivotal in the next few weeks

Archived