BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa Vs Blackburn Rovers

roversmum

Aston VillaBLACKBURN ROVERS-Everton

The only three clubs who were founders of the League and the Premier League

As we approach the 10,273rd (or so it seems) time of playing Aston Villa at Villa Park over the last few seasons, I began to look at the theme for my preview.

I thought maybe a historical theme, only to discover that Rog of the Rovers had done a rather good job of a bit of potted history of Aston Villa FC for his preview of the home match on 21st November 2010. Rog also mentioned that when he did previous previews we had not lost, this was also the case for his last one. Should I therefore change my name?

Rog also stated that he had attempted to contact Prince Harry for a question and answer. I have gone for Prince William and duly despatched a request but he possibly has other things on his mind at the moment. Of course, the most important question was “would the Royal bridesmaids be wearing claret and blue?” I await his reply with interest. Hopefully Rovers’ Fan Prince Albert of Monaco will have a quiet word in his cousin’s ear and point him in the right direction, i.e. blue and white. Much more class to blue and white.

How about a Rovers Fans’ Happiness O’Meter then? Alas, already previously done very ably by Clare ... besides after the recent draw with Newcastle which we had hoped would be a banker I think the result would be off the scale and somewhere along the lines of ‘pass the rope,’ as far as fans are concerned; although the Rovers’ website headline declared “Kean Pleased With A Point”. Maybe obtaining new spectacles is more urgent than I thought.

I dug out an old programme from November 2002, a home match against Villa. Souness was Manager then. Dwight Yorke was on the cover, David Dunn was Opta Player of the Week, and also in the Opta team were Martin Taylor, Lucas Neill and David Thompson. Graham Taylor was Manager of Villa, Peter Enckelman was in goal for Villa and a young and even thinner Peter Crouch had been signed in the summer for £4.5million. The result was a 0-0 draw, and later in that season, after a third round FA Cup tie at Villa Park which Rovers won 4-1, they lost to Villa in the league on a ‘freezing February afternoon’ 0-3. (Is it EVER anything but freezing at Villa Park?)

Our last match against Villa in the league took place at Ewood Park on Sunday 21st November, under the guidance of Big Sam. Rovers won this encounter courtesy of two goals from Morten Gamst Pedersen (45)(66), the first from a free kick following a foul on El Hadji Diouf by Stephen Warnock, the second the result of a corner from El Hadji Diouf which after finding Chimbonda whose shot was blocked, fell to Ryan Nelsen, and the ball finally ended up in the net courtesy of Gamst.

Where is Dioufy when you need him? Playing Villa isn't the same without him.

The team was: Robinson, Salgado, Samba, Nelsen, Givet(Chimbonda46), Diouf, Jones, Pedersen(Goulon72), Hoilett(MB Diouf64),Dunn, Roberts. Unused subs: Bunn, Hanley, Morris, Kalinic.

Sam said “We snuffed out Villa, virtually restricting them to long-range shooting and we really should have won by more in the end”.

Houllier said “We have to blame ourselves for a performance that was not very good”.

Our previous visit to Villa Park was but four weeks since, for the occasion of the fourth round of the FA Cup. Those who notice such matters will recall that we lost 3-1. Our goal was from a run by Junior Hoillet, releasing the ball to the much maligned Keith Andrews who produced a simply splendid pass to Michel Salgado, on to Nikola Kalinic who scored. Villa’s goals came from Clark(11) from a corner; Pires(35) and Delfouneso(42) from a quick Villa counter attack. A small consolation was that our nemesis Emile Heskey did not manage to score against us for once. Villa player Baker was red carded at 62 minutes for a two-footed lunge on Hoilett.

The team was: Robinson, Salgado, Hanley, Olsson, Andrews, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Hoilett, Santa Cruz(Kalinic 10), Roberts (Benjani 85). Unused subs: Bunn, J Jones, Lowe, Diouf.

Steve Kean, after the match, said he was disappointed that Rovers had conceded poor goals. At least he didn’t have to pay to see the match.

Gerard Houllier, sporting an annoying smirk, praised his players, lauding the combination of youth and experience.

After an unfortunate incident with a Villa Jobsworth Steward at the previous match I am not looking forward to this visit.

If we win our coach gets bricked from behind the car park by irate Villa fans (some of them are sore losers) whilst the police stand around at the front of the car park working out how much extra will be in their pay packets for an afternoon of doing absolutely nothing for several hours. The only advantage of losing, is that if we lose we don’t get bricked.

There is a possibility that new signings Rochina and Formica might play some part in this match, and we are likely to be playing against Mr D Bent late of Sunderland for the first time as a Villa Player. I am crossing everything in the hope that Samba will not be careless with his feet anywhere near the box, ‘tripping’ a Villa player up and getting himself a red card in the process. Oh, wait...

Hopefully after their sunshine ‘break and warm weather training’ (oh, lucky, lucky boys ...) the squad will be raring to go.

Form:

Rovers: Last 6 Away – LLWLLL – 3 Points

Last 6 all - WLWLLD-7 Points

13th in Form Guide.

Position in League Table: 11th; Points 32

Villa: Last 6 home – LWLLWD -7 Points

Last 6 all - DWWLDD- 9 Points

7th in Form Guide.

Position in League Table: 15th; Points 30

I expect Robinson, Salgado, Nelsen, Samba, Olsson to be in the team. I think Nzonzi and Jermaine Jones might play a part. I’d like to see Pedersen and Hoilett play. As for strikers – Roque and Kalinic. A cameo for the new boys, Formica and Rochina perhaps. I have no idea what the score might be. My heart says a win, my head says we’ll lose. I’d love it, LOVE IT, if...

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you roversmum for the preview.

The form guide kind of says it all to which way this game should go, but for Stephen Kean the imposter of a football manager this is ALL OR NOTHING FOR HIM, as in if he loses this game he dies a little more in the thoughts of many a Rovers fans.

I will be a long way from Villa Park on the day - I've had enough of that ground in recent times including this year's feeble Rovers' attempt to progress in the FA Cup.

Unfortunately, I think we will succumb to another defeat inflicted this time by Bent followed by another good presser from Kean talking about "taking the positives into the Fulham match".

I expect Robinson, Salgado, Nelsen, Samba, Olsson to be in the team. I think Nzonzi and Jermaine Jones might play a part. I’d like to see Pedersen and Hoilett play. As for strikers – Roque and Kalinic. A cameo for the new boys, Formica and Rochina perhaps.

If we give Kean the boot you can have my vote as his replacement. :)

Thanks for taking the time to do the preview. Great read.

Anyway tough game for us once again and to be honest I'd be happy with a low or no scoring draw. Will be nice to see Formica and Rochina get a bit of game time at some point and hopefully they can make an impact.

See you at villa park

Great review! Quite amazed you actually managed to make a preview for Villa an interesting and enjoyable read considering we play them twice a week (feels like it...).

Can see us nick a point from this one - Salgado or Jones to score ;)

Thanks for the review.

Villa again? We should set up training facilities close by.

Very big game for many reasons and one that Kean really needs to get something from. Hard to imagine a Rovers win with our continued away problems, but would like to think we can obtain a draw.

COYB.

I am off to Tenerife shortly RM so thanks for the read.

I am utterly bored when I hear the name Aston Villa and even more so when the sentence continues with Blackburn Rovers.

I see no end to the [pain these lot keep inflicting upon us. A Rovers loss for me and I wont know until I land I just hope we have uopset them. Straight from the airport to York for the rest of the weekend so I ma hoping for good news.

Good luck to those travelling to the game.

2-0 <_<

1-1 prediction . hopefully a goal from run of play ! yes I've witnessed chav villa fans before . worst fans I've witnessed are man city aka moss side city . spat at my stepdaughter ( yes got her to proudly wear blue snd White ) when her dad we'd a hyton scouser and armchair Liverpool . at least rovers are true fans and not glory hunters , come on lads !!

Thanks for the preview, Mum. Someone had to do it. :D

Not confident about this one, but I'm hoping they'll surprise me.

With any luck, Givet will return to the back-line and we'll get a glimpse of Formica & Rochina.

A draw would be a good result.

Archived