BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa Vs Blackburn Rovers

roversmum

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have got to ditch the diamond formation against Villa or they will murder us, they are so capable of attacking on the break with lots of pace, that is why I would play 4 -5 - 1, it would give us a bit more protection when they break and we can still open out and be attacking when we have the ball, the key for me is Givet is fit and Olsson can move to wide left, two wide men with pace will give Villa something to think about and they will have to defend a little deeper than they would like, we will still have to be careful with Bent, Young and Aggy as they they can really get at sides if you let them, we must ensure we dont give them too much grass in which to work, defend a little deeper and dont get caught square at the back.

We MUST play Hoillett & Ollson on the wings we look a completely Diffferent team with those two there.. I'd play the following team...

.....Robinson

Salgado Nelson samba Givet (Pederson if Givet not fit)

Hoillett jones Emerton ollson

... Kalinic roque (if not mame)

You would honestly play Pedersen left back and Olsson in midfield?

I'm not sure why there is this huge myth about Olsson being a great winger. He can't cross very well and isn't clever enough to come in from the touchline to create space. As an overlapping, attacking full back he's got huge potential imo.

You would honestly play Pedersen left back and Olsson in midfield?

I'm not sure why there is this huge myth about Olsson being a great winger. He can't cross very well and isn't clever enough to come in from the touchline to create space. As an overlapping, attacking full back he's got huge potential imo.

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.

In your opinion, Olsson isn't great at forward-runs, but he's also proven shaky at the back, so surely making him an attacking full-back is the worst of both worlds?

Crossing is a pretty easy thing to work on. He's never going to be Beckham/Bentley, but then that wouldn't be his job. You wouldn't say the likes of Clichy, Cole, Evra etc. are great crossers, but good enough to get by. Sheer speed, athleticism and enthusiasm are excellent starting points for a modern full back, and he's got all three in abundance.

I just think he's too limited as a wide player. Look at modern wingers, most have excellent movement and are capable of drifting inside and acting as attacking midfielders. It's essential to breaking down well organised defences. There are very few wingers left who just stick to the touchline and get crosses in. Those that are left are wonderful crossers and are usually in teams set up to capitalise on this. Etherington in Stoke's set up is a good off-the-cuff example. Olsson doesn't fit either profile.

His defending is nowhere near as bad as people are making out, he's been used as a bit of a scapegoat recently. Let's not forget he is a natural left back, that's where he's always played. It's not like we're trying to force him into a position he's not comfortable with. At 22 he's got plenty of time to improve his defending, it happens with a lot of young, attacking full backs.

He probably would make a decent midfielder if given an extended run there. But, due to his limitations, I don't think he'd ever progress beyond decent. I genuinely think the sky's the limit if he stays at left back, all the raw tools are there.

I just think he's too limited as a wide player. Look at modern wingers, most have excellent movement and are capable of drifting inside and acting as attacking midfielders. It's essential to breaking down well organised defences. There are very few wingers left who just stick to the touchline and get crosses in. Those that are left are wonderful crossers and are usually in teams set up to capitalise on this. Etherington in Stoke's set up is a good off-the-cuff example. Olsson doesn't fit either profile.

Olsson was MOM against Liverpool when he played left-wing. I admit he needs to be more clinical on the ball, but he gave us a taste of what could be. I think he's the best option we have for that position, unless Formica can make an impact there.

His defending is nowhere near as bad as people are making out, he's been used as a bit of a scapegoat recently. Let's not forget he is a natural left back, that's where he's always played. It's not like we're trying to force him into a position he's not comfortable with. At 22 he's got plenty of time to improve his defending, it happens with a lot of young, attacking full backs.

That's not entirely true, though. Players adapt to new positions as their careers progress. Gareth Bale started as a left-back, and looked utterly lost at Spurs until Redknapp moved him forward. Now he's one of the hottest properties in the PL. There's every possibility that could apply to Olsson.

He probably would make a decent midfielder if given an extended run there. But, due to his limitations, I don't think he'd ever progress beyond decent. I genuinely think the sky's the limit if he stays at left back, all the raw tools are there.

I won't rule it out, but for the moment, I'd prefer to see him playing in midfield with a natural defender behind him.

I would like Kean to try out 3 Central Defenders at the back, with Olsson and Salgado as full back. That would allow Olsson to bomb forward and help out Hoillet without having to worry too much about tracking back. It would also give Salgado a bit more protection on the right hand side. I'd have Jones in CM with Hoillet on the left and Dunn or Emerton on the right, and 2 up top.

This would hopefully give us more protection at the back as well as allowing Olsson and Hoillet to double up on the left wing.

Thoughts?

Know we have done 3-5-2 before but don't think now is the time for trying out new formations - would keep things simple and try to be more compact if possible.

Yes I do agree, a back three at this time would not I feel be a good idea, one thing I always had a belief in was giving the opposition more problems, Most full backs on the right are right footed and most left backs are left footed and I for one think that for perhaps a short spell in the game, the wide players should switch sides, coming inside rather than going outside and making the full backs have to tackle with their weaker foot, their balance in many instances would be wrong and I think this would create one or two problems, however, this must only be for a short period to change things for a while, would also give scoring opportunities in good positions for a wide man cutting in and curling the ball towards goal with their stronger foot!

There are two absolutely crucial things imo for us to have a decent chance. One is that we play 4231 or a flat 442 - the diamond is not working at all and I suspect there is pressure to play two up front to fit Venky's desire for more attractive football. Away at Villa who have quality wingers demands a more cautious approach.

Second is that Cruz is fit. WIth him we are twice the attacking force than with any of our other strikers. Kalinic and MB Diouf just do not worry defences.

---------------------Cruz

Olsson-----------Dunn--------Hoilett

----------Pedersen---Jones

Givet----Nelsen------Samba----Salgado

------------------Robinson

Subs:- Bunn, Grella, Emerton, Rochina, Formica, Kalinic, MB Diouf

ps. I agree with Le Chuck that Olsson is maybe a little one dimensional but he does have pace to burn and also is seriously handy in front of goal. In defence he is a liability. I would like him to start in midfield.

Olsson was MOM against Liverpool when he played left-wing. I admit he needs to be more clinical on the ball, but he gave us a taste of what could be. I think he's the best option we have for that position, unless Formica can make an impact there.

That's not entirely true, though. Players adapt to new positions as their careers progress. Gareth Bale started as a left-back, and looked utterly lost at Spurs until Redknapp moved him forward. Now he's one of the hottest properties in the PL. There's every possibility that could apply to Olsson.

I won't rule it out, but for the moment, I'd prefer to see him playing in midfield with a natural defender behind him.

Regarding the Liverpool game, he was the Peter Jackson MOM, I don't think anyone else actually gave him it! Certainly one of his better performances in that position though.

Bale is monster and possibly the best left winger in the world, I'll have to ignore that comparison for now.

It's a weird debate we've got into here since we obviously both rate him as a player, just in different ways. I was just baffled that someone would rather Pedersen was left back. Even against Newcastle people were talking about Salgado/Emerton there.

I'd like to see Pedersen on the left with license to drift around when Olsson overlaps. Given that Pedersen always offers good protection to his full back, I think this could be a good partnership down that wing.

Regarding the Liverpool game, he was the Peter Jackson MOM, I don't think anyone else actually gave him it! Certainly one of his better performances in that position though.

I thought he thoroughly deserved it. And I'm not the only one.

Bale is monster and possibly the best left winger in the world, I'll have to ignore that comparison for now.

But you can compare him to Evra, Baines, Clichy et al?

It's a weird debate we've got into here since we obviously both rate him as a player, just in different ways. I was just baffled that someone would rather Pedersen was left back. Even against Newcastle people were talking about Salgado/Emerton there.

Hell, no. I'd take young Morris over Pedersen at left-back.

But you can compare him to Evra, Baines, Clichy et al?

I don't think Baines is to the left back position what Gareth Bale is to the left wing position! I take your point about the other two though. Maybe I'll stick with Baines, Enrique and Kieran Gibbs from now on. :)

I like the look of Joey Big Noses team.

Hopefully when Dunn tires Formica can get a run or if he isn't ready switch to a 4-4-2 and bring a striker on.

Its a must we get Olsson on left wing now, him and Hoilett will provide good width and give us a threat on the break.

This has the feeling if Friday the 13th part 7, you know how it will end, you know the girl will survive, you know the sarcastic/joker/looser, will be killed horribly, you just don't quite know how.

On that note, just realized the girl on Freddy Vs Jason, the girl whom has some rather rough sex with the mean bugger and finds him at a 30° angle, whom you see in the shower, is Kally from Battlestar Gallactica. Interesting.

Back on topic, we will be maimed horribly, and the girl wont escape, she will remain here, mauled, whimpering and dejected.

Back on topic, we will be maimed horribly, and the girl wont escape, she will remain here, mauled, whimpering and dejected.

^ Ever the optimist. :lol:

In all seriousness Kean will have had two weeks in which to fully integrate his tactics in a [hopefully] refreshed squad. Whether we win or lose I hope the squad acquits itself well.

If there was ever a time for Rovers to achieve some balance in the team it is now. That means if you want to have Dunn in you need to sacrifice a striker, if you want two strikers then Dunn sits on the bench or doesn't travel. Either way we need a couple of wide players who can cover the full backs, my preference would be Emerton on the right and if Givet is fit Olson on the left. I would also have Pedersen in central midfield alongside a holding midfielder, choose one of N'Zonzi, Jones or even Grella. I know that leaves Hoillet out but he could play off Santa Cruz, Roberts or Kalinic. I am not keen on having Dunny in come what may, sorry but he isn't doing his defensive shifts and with the way we have been shipping goals it is time we pointed the finger at the whole team structure and not the back four. Too many players just wanting to steam forward and not cover their men when we don't have the ball.

Villa are very strong on the counter attack with a lot of pace so Salgado either needs supporting or maybe play Emerton there.

Finally, we need players to make themselves available for the ball by working off their markers, too often Rovers are looking to the player on the ball to make an outrageous pass, simple short options are not available.

The material is good enough, need to add some hard work and concentration.

Archived