BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football training

I've been out of football for quite some time, at least 3 years.

I would like to get back, but before I would get tired quite easily during training. Heavy breathing, heavy and wobbly legs etc during longish runs. Most of the training, involves running so I'm always behind everybody who are fitter than me. I've always been part of the 1st teams, or at the very least the 2nd team. We normally have training 3 times a week, for around a couple of hours. 2 days for just running, and 1 day ball work.

Is there a way to get me running longer, while stil maintaining that fitness level, without getting tired.

Ta

Isgak

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been out of football for quite some time, at least 3 years.

I would like to get back, but before I would get tired quite easily during training. Heavy breathing, heavy and wobbly legs etc during longish runs. Most of the training, involves running so I'm always behind everybody who are fitter than me. I've always been part of the 1st teams, or at the very least the 2nd team. We normally have training 3 times a week, for around a couple of hours. 2 days for just running, and 1 day ball work.

Is there a way to get me running longer, while stil maintaining that fitness level, without getting tired.

Ta

Isgak

Try it when you've been out of football for 25 years! :o:(

btw 2.5 days ball work, .5 day fitness. ;) Linford Christie and Seb Coe were fit and could run but I'd wager the pair of em couldn't pass wind never mind a football.

I'm just behind at the moment, but it feels like I want throw up after training. I'm so unfit, that I have no choice but to struggle during training. I just need to work on a programme, that will keep me up to speed during training and a match.

Funny you should write this Iceman, I started doing the same last week after not playing for about 5 years. I've started road running most evenings, it's really hard going at the moment.

I can't work out I would be best to approach the running. Should I go a reasonably slow pace and aim for a good distance, or should I go faster over short distances? At the moment I'm going for the former.

As far as what I read LeChuck, football is a quick burst kind of sport. So sprinting is more important, than say long distant running for the most part. I have no problem with that, its when I have to go over a longer period, that I struggle.

I'm going to try to do a 1 min sprint, 1 min jog kind of routine. Or 5 min of short sprints, with about 3 sprints in 1 min over say a 5 or 10 metre distance.

Fartleks (a.k.a. interval training) should help with this, increasing cardio and also helping sprint speed a bit. The simplest type of thing is getting down to a 400m track and doing three laps, sprinting the straights and jogging the bends (as slowly as you like). Then rest for three minutes and repeat twice more. I always found that was helpful as a base exercise. You can then vary things up with different rest periods and sets. The shorter the intervals of sprinting and jogging, the harder it'll be (so doing 50m sprint, 50m jog round the track should be harder than 100-100).

I'm too old for football and cycling is my sport these days. I can't tell you anything specific for football or running but would say this. The way to improve your fitness and presumably catch up with those fitter than you is to keep working AND do extra to push yourself to catch up.

For example I go out with my club on a Sunday, many of my cycle friends are better than me. At this time of year the standard ride is 50 miles. As the club meets 14 miles from my house I ride over to meet up meaning I'm doing 78-80 while the others are doing 50.

I'm tired when I get back but rapidly catching everyone else!!!

Fartleks (a.k.a. interval training) should help with this, increasing cardio and also helping sprint speed a bit. The simplest type of thing is getting down to a 400m track and doing three laps, sprinting the straights and jogging the bends (as slowly as you like). Then rest for three minutes and repeat twice more. I always found that was helpful as a base exercise. You can then vary things up with different rest periods and sets. The shorter the intervals of sprinting and jogging, the harder it'll be (so doing 50m sprint, 50m jog round the track should be harder than 100-100).

Just to expand a bit on what Big A says. Whilst it wasn't for footie training, the way I used to do fartlek was just on a road route : do something like sprint the distance between a couple of lamposts, take it easy to the next lampost etc. Or use other landmarks. No specific distances and no need for a track, breaks up a longer run too, so you might end up doing 3 or 4 miles without the slog of that sort of run.

• Backroom

I havn't been out for long but played my first game in a few months yesterday and think I'm giving up, my knee is killing me but not quite sure what it is.

The thing is I play Saturdays and prefer to go to Rovers if both are on, also my wife is expecting our first child in May and I'll have the little one on Saturdays so wouldn't be able to play anyway.

Ah well I was never that good anyway, the highlight of my career remains a hattrick against Blue Star for Langho :lol:

I've been having a similar problem recently. Normally I cycle 40mins a day and play football 3-4 time a week but then in the space of a week I managed to break my nose and then my rib(s) playing football, so I couldn't do any exerceise for about 3 months. (was a typical english style tackle but he landed on my back and broke my rib(s)!) Problem I'm having now is getting up to match fitness again and it seems that I need to change something with my diet because I keep getting cramp in my leg. Heard I should eat more foods with magnesium in them? Played first game after the winter break on saturday and I only lasted 74 mins. The other team made a deal with the ref and us to stop at 75 min because with the wind chill it was -10, we were all unfit and we were winning 8-2 at that point!

Sorry Iceman alls I can suggest is doing a little bit extra every training session and rest inbetween. Maybe energy drinks beforehand too - although that may be more psycological!

Interval training.

But remember to start at a level that won't make you stop playing again. I usually have 4 organised sessions a week (3 trainings + match) of 1 1/2 hours each, and try to either do some biking and a couple of evening runs (40 mins medium to high intensity) a couple of times a week.

I don't personally train intervals because I find it boring and football offers enough of that in itself. Extra training should be done because you have the extra energy for it, not because you feel you have to. Don't train hard if you don't feel up to it, listen to the signals from your body and good luck :-) And of course eat healthy if you can :P

Incy: Magnesium helps against muscle tension but the solution might be simpler than that - remember to drink during training/matches! Muscles cramp up easier if your body lacks fluid.

interesting Torgeir, because people normally advise to drink before hand, and not during training to avoid cramp. I might be wrong on that, but thats what ive been told.

I hope to start a bit of light running this week, as our season only starts in a months time. So light work, and then hopefully when training starts, ill be up to speed a bit.

interesting Torgeir, because people normally advise to drink before hand, and not during training to avoid cramp. I might be wrong on that, but thats what ive been told.

I hope to start a bit of light running this week, as our season only starts in a months time. So light work, and then hopefully when training starts, ill be up to speed a bit.

Before, during and after are all important. Some people train without enough fluid because they think it helps the body adapt to that 'environment'. Experts claim that isn't the case and that the fluid balance should always be good. Your performance will drop significantly if you don't drink enough before and during excercise, that's a fact.

Start with light running then step it up a notch before the training starts. You probably know what some of the fitness work will be like at your club so if you go through some of that the coming month as well you'll be well prepared I think.

Incy as others have said the cramp suggests you are not taking enough fluids while exercising. I'd also suggest you are not replacing the salts you're sweating out so I'd think about getting the appropriate powder formulation to add to your drink - available in Tesco's!! There are several different formulations to chose from, get one that is for use DURING exercise.

I'm no expert on this but have practicised taking salts regularly after a spectacular cramping session a couple of years ago. I was on a ride with several hundred others in temperatures which didn't rise above 0c. I had no desire to drink, due to the cold, and after about 60 miles simultaneously cramped in both thighs so badly I fell off!! The pain was amazing! A fellow rider stopped to help me and explained what he felt was the problem - he knew immediately I hadn't been drinking. I now ensure I take a drink enriched with salts every 15-20 minutes and have noticed a significant benefit to my overall performance.

Incy as others have said the cramp suggests you are not taking enough fluids while exercising. I'd also suggest you are not replacing the salts you're sweating out so I'd think about getting the appropriate powder formulation to add to your drink - available in Tesco's!! There are several different formulations to chose from, get one that is for use DURING exercise.

I'm no expert on this but have practicised taking salts regularly after a spectacular cramping session a couple of years ago. I was on a ride with several hundred others in temperatures which didn't rise above 0c. I had no desire to drink, due to the cold, and after about 60 miles simultaneously cramped in both thighs so badly I fell off!! The pain was amazing! A fellow rider stopped to help me and explained what he felt was the problem - he knew immediately I hadn't been drinking. I now ensure I take a drink enriched with salts every 15-20 minutes and have noticed a significant benefit to my overall performance.

Spot on.

When you cramp up it's really too late. Drink BEFORE you're thirsty, and especially in cold weather you won't feel the same need for fluids as in warmer weather.

Biking is actually very good workout for you Icers....some mountain biking up a feel steep hills will soon work those leg muscles again!

Yep, I've been out for around 40 minutes every week day while playing 5 a side every Friday evening. The cycling has helped my overall fitness no end. Try and go for a course that has a mix of straights and some hills, nothing major but ones that force you to work at it going up them. :rover:

Swimming I'd suggest.

I go surfing and swimming in the sea against currents and tides is physically hard.

I swim in the pool after using the gym and it works the whole body.

Was the best therapy after my acl knee reconstruction surgery too imo.

I've been playing football all this season with no problems after 18 months out.

Archived