BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jobs / Vacancies

With the economic down turn, the Local Authority cut backs and the fact that one in four 16-25 year olds are collecting job seekers allowance. I thought it a good idea to have a thread for jobs/vacancies.

This could cover (please keep within the local area):

- A vacancy you have seen on a website

- A vacancy within your business / organisation

- A vacancy a peer or colleague told you about

I will start off with the following:

Blackburn Rovers Community Trust

In all honesty and seriousness it is quite easy for UK citizens to work for the US armed forces. Just something to keep in mind as they are always hiring and the benefits are rather nice. Promotion can be pretty quick too.

Don't worry about the psychological testing, I passed.

• 2 weeks later...

My son who has a 2/1 degree in ICT has been working for a company since September, they are not paying him correctly £500 here and there and this month, they haven't even piad up his last months wages. There are not too many jobs around at the moment, what can he do?

any ideas would be welcome.

He has just been billed £120.00 from the bank due to his wages not been paid a number of standing orders have not been paid!!

My son who has a 2/1 degree in ICT has been working for a company since September, they are not paying him correctly £500 here and there and this month, they haven't even piad up his last months wages. There are not too many jobs around at the moment, what can he do?

He has just been billed £120.00 from the bank due to his wages not been paid a number of standing orders have not been paid!!

Having just looked at the legality of interns in the UK as we seem to have s stream of recent graduates who want to work for us for free, just to gain some experience, I feel for your son.

What area of ICT is he particularly interested in, so I might know where to point him? But sadly it's not 1997, a tech graduate can't walk into a decent paying job any more as there are far too many people with years and years of experience sat on the dole (been there myself and I had to start out on my own to get money coming in).

Does he have any form of contract with the company? If he has something in writing which talks about what the job is and what they will pay him for doing it and he has done what he has been asked, then he would be in a very strong position if he has not received the payments in the contract. If he has a more fluid arrangement then he may be in not better a position than the many interns out there working for nothing. Of course, even if he has a good case in law he may well not want to make too much of it, particularly if the work is enjoyable and/or good training as causing a row might well have him out of a job pretty quickly.

Having just looked at the legality of interns in the UK as we seem to have s stream of recent graduates who want to work for us for free, just to gain some experience, I feel for your son.

What area of ICT is he particularly interested in, so I might know where to point him? But sadly it's not 1997, a tech graduate can't walk into a decent paying job any more as there are far too many people with years and years of experience sat on the dole (been there myself and I had to start out on my own to get money coming in).

Glenn,

I will ask him when he arrives home, at the moment he is networking, he is only just above minimum wage but does it because he needs to start somewhere, thanks for you offer of help.

It depends on his experience and mix of skills. I've worked in IT for a very long time and whilst experience is very important there are opportunities for young people with talent and enthusiasm.

Does he check out jobserve or the other sites? You can save searches on those and have relevant jobs emailed to you when they are posted?

It depends on his experience and mix of skills. I've worked in IT for a very long time and whilst experience is very important there are opportunities for young people with talent and enthusiasm.

Does he check out jobserve or the other sites? You can save searches on those and have relevant jobs emailed to you when they are posted?

Agreed. Jobsite I find most useful as it seems to cover most other agencies too.

What type of role is he looking for? ITC can cover a wide range...

He could probably do a lot worse that joining a lot of the technical social groups in the area, such as GeekUp Preston http://prestongeekup.co.uk/ and various "interest specific" groups. I'm pretty sure our own GIddy Goat is organising some geek events in the Nortwest too.

I know we use the equivalent events in Leeds for looking for potential recruits.

• Backroom

Is he working under contract with the company who aren't paying properly? If so then he has every right to demand his money from them immediately. If not, I'm not sure if he can do anything.

I haven't got any IT training but during my job search earlier this year I looked at the jobs available for IT just out of interest and almost all of them demanded experience.

Are there any schools/colleges/unis around your area? Both of my friends who got ICT degrees got their jobs via the school system. They're IT admins, not mega-money but enough to get started on. Often the educational IT vacancies aren't advertised online, so might be worth ringing around and seeing if anything's available.

Good luck to him, it's a tough time to get a job.

Next Townsmoor are recruiting at the moment with several PT contracts becoming available very soon. Keep an eye out on Job Centre website for them. Ideal for students.

Thanks for that and all the other help I have recieved, greatly appreciated!

Archived