BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jobs / Vacancies

Well obviously i am only going off what i have been told by my mates. Three of them flew out 6 months ago and all landed I.T jobs and stated there are loads of jobs in Melbourne.

This link could have timed out but 4,100 ICT related jobs in Melbourne

Sorry, that was rude of me.

Just a couple of questions though...what type of visa were they travelling on and how long was their term of employment for?

Sorry, that was rude of me.

Just a couple of questions though...what type of visa were they travelling on and how long was their term of employment for?

"Bladdy poms! Cammin' heah n' nickin' ah jobs!"

;)

I could add lots more purely based on stereotypes garnered from watching Steve Irwin re-runs, but I won't. Strangely, when I read it in my head I can only hear the voice of Joe Mangle...

For anyone looking for a job and finding it hard, look around the world.

Opportunities will arise from the most obscure of places.

If you are young and (not necessarily)single, mobile and educated you'll get a job anywhere.

The best thing about it is, you'll have an adventure thrown in for free.

Having just looked at the legality of interns in the UK as we seem to have s stream of recent graduates who want to work for us for free, just to gain some experience, I feel for your son.

What area of ICT is he particularly interested in, so I might know where to point him? But sadly it's not 1997, a tech graduate can't walk into a decent paying job any more as there are far too many people with years and years of experience sat on the dole (been there myself and I had to start out on my own to get money coming in).

That's the situation I'm in (though not in IT). I've basically been told I should work for free if I want to break into any job. I too have a 2.1, though in Journalism (ouch, I know), but ANY job I apply for says I need more experience - the only way I'm able to do that is to work for free. Absolute madness.

For anyone looking for a job and finding it hard, look around the world.

Opportunities will arise from the most obscure of places.

If you are young and (not necessarily)single, mobile and educated you'll get a job anywhere.

The best thing about it is, you'll have an adventure thrown in for free.

Isn't it incredibly difficult to get a working visa?

Internships are rapidly becoming the norm in the UK, but from my own reading if it's not work experience (under strict rules and must be studying something related), then it must be 100% voluntary, including ...

"Volunteers are people who are under no obligation to performwork or carry out your instructions. They have no contract or formalarrangement and so can come and go as they please. They have no expectation ofand do not receive any reward for the work they do. A reward is not restrictedto simply being a payment in the form of money but can be something like theprovision of benefits or training. "

This page has a link for a word doc with loads of info.

http://www.agcas.org.uk/agcas_resources/137-Internships-and-the-National-Minimum-Wage-

That's the situation I'm in (though not in IT). I've basically been told I should work for free if I want to break into any job. I too have a 2.1, though in Journalism (ouch, I know), but ANY job I apply for says I need more experience - the only way I'm able to do that is to work for free. Absolute madness.

I too have a 2:1 in Journalism and was fed up of working for free. Just how the cookie crumbles in that game. I found an IT/web/design job at a high school and have since worked my way up through that.

If you really want to be a journalist (in the traditional sense) then you have to work up from the very bottom. Awful hours, worse pay and then move on to the joys of court reporting and death knocks for almost as little money. A lot of the online journalism jobs that the young and computer literate could get quite easily a couple of years back are now mostly filled up.

I wanted to work in magazines, but the only titles worth working on are in London and I'd rather remove my own balls with a cheesegrater than move there. Got a mate who does it now and he hates his life.

Applied to do my teacher training this time but because of the cuts I've been put on indefinite hold as there is unlikely to be enough funding to support my chosen course.

And before anyone says '...those who can't... teach', I've gone from someone who couldn't think of a worse career than teaching to someone who is pretty passionate about educating kids.

I too have a 2:1 in Journalism and was fed up of working for free. Just how the cookie crumbles in that game. I found an IT/web/design job at a high school and have since worked my way up through that.

If you really want to be a journalist (in the traditional sense) then you have to work up from the very bottom. Awful hours, worse pay and then move on to the joys of court reporting and death knocks for almost as little money. A lot of the online journalism jobs that the young and computer literate could get quite easily a couple of years back are now mostly filled up.

I wanted to work in magazines, but the only titles worth working on are in London and I'd rather remove my own balls with a cheesegrater than move there. Got a mate who does it now and he hates his life.

Applied to do my teacher training this time but because of the cuts I've been put on indefinite hold as there is unlikely to be enough funding to support my chosen course.

And before anyone says '...those who can't... teach', I've gone from someone who couldn't think of a worse career than teaching to someone who is pretty passionate about educating kids.

Hum, if a volunteer sports journalist was to write for BRFCS they would definitely not be under any illusion they'd receive any kind of payment in kind (other than thanks and that warm fuzzy feeling you get from helping others) and if it helps build your portfolio, it could be mutually beneficial.

Let me think about this for a while ;)

Fact is, most who say "those who can't ... teach" wouldn't cut it as teachers themselves. Performing for 8 hours a day when you don't even feel like getting out of bed is damned hard work. You can't relax because you always have to be the person the kids expect you to be. And kids see through pretence fairly quickly.

Journalism is a tough life - as I've told you ad nauseam, my daughter is a sports broadcast journalist but she has been incredibly lucky in that she fits the profile sports broadcasters are looking for - young, female, regional accent,(she isn't from an ethnic minority which would increase her chaces even more) - and has had an enormous amount of help from various media people including those at Rovers when she first started out. However, she's also worked very hard and has had to push herself to make the contacts, chase up offers etc. She's had to spend time in London doing a job she didn't really want, and before that she has done several placements where she was not paid, and then short term bits and pieces here and there but is now working at Leeds on Late Kick off for the second year running. Most broadcast jobs are short term contracts - hers finishes when the season finishes - and until the BBC get Salford sorted there are not likely to be many longer term jobs.

Agree with all of the above. A mate of mine is desperately trying to nail down a semi-regular job at BBC Manchester because they only give short term contracts. He's hoping if he can show he can get something more regular at Media City when that's fully up and running.

Teaching holidays are great, but necessary to the point that you need a full recharge over that time if you're teaching 11-16-year-olds every day.

I'd have offered to write for BRFCS long ago if Sports Journalism had ever been my thing. I was far too interested in talking to rock stars and designing magazine spreads to write about football. There's only so long you can live on free CDs and no money though.

Sports journalism is surely journalism experience though?

If the magazines you want to work for are all in London then call them and offer to cover up and coming bands gigs in the North-West for free?

Internships, along with placement years within degrees, are a very good way to get experience and also get a foot in the door at the same company. On the degree course I did, almost everyone who did a placement year walked back into a job straight from uni most of them at the same company.

Sports journalism is surely journalism experience though?

If the magazines you want to work for are all in London then call them and offer to cover up and coming bands gigs in the North-West for free?

Internships, along with placement years within degrees, are a very good way to get experience and also get a foot in the door at the same company. On the degree course I did, almost everyone who did a placement year walked back into a job straight from uni most of them at the same company.

It's also about making contacts though and placements, however short term, and even if they don't lead directly to a job, help you to meet people who might be able to put you in touch with the right people. It's a small world and you'd be surprised who knows who and how much info they pass on. You do what you can to get a name for yourself as being someone who is keen and will do a good job if they get the chance, then you just hope someone actually gives you that chance.

:rover: my boy will be joining me over here in june when he leaves school,he may stay in england if he is succesfull at gaining a place at brfc in the community,he was in the programme not long ago,full page spread on how brfc had reformed him :lol::brfc:

• 1 year later...

:rover: my boy will be joining me over here in june when he leaves school,he may stay in england if he is succesfull at gaining a place at brfc in the community,he was in the programme not long ago. :brfc:

Dont blame him. Unemployment for our teenagers in this area has just trebled here in Blackburn with Darwen over the past six months.

Our older generations have taken the lot and left scraps for the kids.

Dont blame him. Unemployment for our teenagers in this area has just trebled here in Blackburn with Darwen over the past six months.

Our older generations have taken the lot and left scraps for the kids.

Thats simply cos many employers would rather employ older people. Also we can't deny older people the chance to save up for retirement.

Double whammy for Burnley.

1. Samuel Cooke (Burnleys shirt sponsor in the Prem and with over 150 years of trading history) have been bankrupted by some IndoPak chap owner of 5 petrol stations who has swindled em with a forged bank guarantee and skipped off with 2.5 millon quid. 100 or so jobs lost.

2. The excellent Rourke's ironmongery business has been forced to close too. 30 odd jobs gone.

Victims of the times we live in and not at all good for the area.

Thats simply cos many employers would rather employ older people. Also we can't deny older people the chance to save up for retirement.

Double whammy for Burnley.

1. Samuel Cooke (Burnleys shirt sponsor in the Prem and with over 150 years of trading history) have been bankrupted by some IndoPak chap owner of 5 petrol stations who has done em and skipped of for 2.5 millon. 100 or so jobs lost.

2. The excellent Rourke's ironmongery business has been forced to close too. 30 odd jobs gone.

Victims of the times we live in and not at all good for the area.

Thats extremely disappointing news from Burnley.

With this, the millions of kids heading into adulthood with hardly any work skills, little or no money. Are we fast approaching a tipping point where we as a nation will run out of money or the credit currently afforded us.

With this, the millions of kids heading into adulthood with hardly any work skills, little or no money. Are we fast approaching a tipping point where we as a nation will run out of money or the credit currently afforded us.

I can only see that as an inevitability. Not only us either. Anyone else think the Olympics are a timely reminder of the last days of the Roman Empire when greater and more extravagant sporting contests were put on to divert the attention of the population from the collapse of the Empire?

Theno, you are partly right.

Those countries than can least afford it get into the games only to be broken by them.

Still, enjoy whilst it's going.

However:

As a small antipodean country, Australia offers some huge benefits for those that are willing.

If you have certain skills (not necessarily professional), then you can get into working in some of the remote places here and earn big money. I mean big money., $150000- $200000 pa is not unknown, and it's usually on a "fly in, fly out", all board and lodgings deal.

67000 pounds ($100000) with everything found except your week off has to be a great deal. There are some major companies looking for people.

If I were young, had some reasonable qualifications, I'd be in it like a shot. Two years would set you up for life.

Theno, you are partly right.

Those countries than can least afford it get into the games only to be broken by them.

Still, enjoy whilst it's going.

However:

As a small antipodean country, Australia offers some huge benefits for those that are willing.

If you have certain skills (not necessarily professional), then you can get into working in some of the remote places here and earn big money. I mean big money., $150000- $200000 pa is not unknown, and it's usually on a "fly in, fly out", all board and lodgings deal.

67000 pounds ($100000) with everything found except your week off has to be a great deal. There are some major companies looking for people.

If I were young, had some reasonable qualifications, I'd be in it like a shot. Two years would set you up for life.

Any links Dave?

Archived