BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players who could have made a difference

Iceman

I was chatting to 2 mates of mine, 1 a Spurs supporter, the other a Man United one.

We were discussing the January transfer window, and both were in agreement, that Rovers missed a trick.

What they said, was that instead of chasing a marquee signing, we should have gone for those fringe players at other clubs. They are of the opinion, that Rovers needed a season or 2 of stability, and to get our house in order 1st before trying to attract a big name or 2.

It got me thinking, that the following players would have improved the team immediately, and would have not needed time to get up to speed. It may or may not have been everybodys liking, but would have been the sensible moves.

Roman Pavyluchenko

Jamie O Hara

Giovanni Dos Santos

Daniel Sturridge

Darren Gibson

Shaun Wright Philips

Niko Kranckjar

Eidur Gudjohnsson

Tuncay

I'm trying to think of a few more, but that would have been so much better.

If there are others, add them.

O'Hara without a doubt. Every good game he has for Wolves kills me a little inside. He couldn't be more perfectly built for what we need right now.

Despite this, I'm still reasonably happy with our window. There's a lot of unrest about not yet playing Formica or Rochina but we have all these calls for Rovers to start adopting an Arsenal model but then no patience to allow new players a few months to bed into their new environment. The Arsenal model rewards patience, and we're being panicked into not having any.

O'Hara without a doubt. Every good game he has for Wolves kills me a little inside. He couldn't be more perfectly built for what we need right now.

Despite this, I'm still reasonably happy with our window. There's a lot of unrest about not yet playing Formica or Rochina but we have all these calls for Rovers to start adopting an Arsenal model but then no patience to allow new players a few months to bed into their new environment. The Arsenal model rewards patience, and we're being panicked into not having any.

Great point, well made.

The author of this thread seems to forget we bought in JJ and RSC as impact players, not Formica and Rochina.

Those young lads are not going to save our season, waiting another two or even more games for them to adjust will be better than throwing them into a relegation battle while they are still settling into the country.

Our impact players lack of impact combined with ###### poor management and tactics are responsible for our situation, not buying two youngsters and leaving them on the bench.

Not exactly sure what you are on about Ada, but tell me what sort of impact has RSC or JJ made? Now take O Hara, Kranckjar and Sturridge eg, and you get the idea. Players, who have made an immediate impact when given an opportunity. I'm happy with Formica and Rochina, but if we go down, would they want to still be here?

You missing the point Topman. Not saying we had the Money for them, but its those type of players we should have looked at. When you consider we probably paying both jj and RSC a fortune, the names I mentioned would have been in our range and provided better value for money.

You missing the point Topman. Not saying we had the Money for them, but its those type of players we should have looked at. When you consider we probably paying both jj and RSC a fortune, the names I mentioned would have been in our range and provided better value for money.

Most of the good players there are clearly out of our price-range, so what's the point? We can 'look' at Messi, but it doesn't mean we have a shot at signing him.

Out of our price range? So how will we be able to afford a marquee signing? This is why I have a problem with Venkys, because at the moment there is nobody who is advising them. If its not just a publicity stunt, and they genuinely have the money, then why not bring in 2 or 3 good players instead of 1 20mill player?

Not exactly sure what you are on about Ada, but tell me what sort of impact has RSC or JJ made? Now take O Hara, Kranckjar and Sturridge eg, and you get the idea.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on!

Not exactly sure what you are on about Ada, but tell me what sort of impact has RSC or JJ made? Now take O Hara, Kranckjar and Sturridge eg, and you get the idea. Players, who have made an immediate impact when given an opportunity. I'm happy with Formica and Rochina, but if we go down, would they want to still be here?

read my post again Iceman:

Our impact players lack of impact combined with ###### poor management and tactics are responsible for our situation, not buying two youngsters and leaving them on the bench.

I state that they (RSC and JJ) have not had an impact, the point of my posts is that hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

Quite easy to sit here and post a hundred names that could have made an impact, we are where we are though.

Hence my derision at threads like this.....

Out of our price range? So how will we be able to afford a marquee signing? This is why I have a problem with Venkys, because at the moment there is nobody who is advising them. If its not just a publicity stunt, and they genuinely have the money, then why not bring in 2 or 3 good players instead of 1 20mill player?

They do not plan to spend £20 million, thats the dream of "Barry White" its not generally accepeted by the Venkys as the way to go.

We have got what we have got with the money that Venkys committed.

Absolutely spot on!

It's not though really is it?

They are good players, but put them in our squad and the situation at our club and would they have prospered the way they have elsewhere?

Imo, O Hara is playing in a poor Wolves team, but he could be the difference between them staying up, and going down. The same applies to Vela at West Brom, and Sturridge at Bolton. Who is going to be our saviour? RSC or Jermaine Jones?

Imo, O Hara is playing in a poor Wolves team, but he could be the difference between them staying up, and going down. The same applies to Vela at West Brom, and Sturridge at Bolton. Who is going to be our saviour? RSC or Jermaine Jones?

The same O'Hara that was relegated last season in a poor Portsmouth team, DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone bigged him up last season, as good as he might be he didnt keep Posrtmouth up.

No single player will keep us up, not one that we could afford anyway.

It will have to be a team effort with what we have, time for everyone, fans, club and players alike to get stuck in and unite.

Roman Pavyluchenko- nowhere near clinical enough

Jamie O Hara- big question marks over fitness, not just now, but future career.

Giovanni Dos Santos- I like him, would like him to be ours, but instant impact wouldn't be guaranteed.

Daniel Sturridge- As said, did nothing before Bolton.

Darren Gibson- Meh

Shaun Wright Philips- Not an upgrade on Hoilett, and expensive.

Niko Kranckjar- Yes please.

Eidur Gudjohnsson- Past it now.

Tuncay- Overrated and inconsistent. Luxury player.

Archived