BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Supporters Trust

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a little reminder that the meeting to discuss setting up a trust is next Wednesday at Blakeys, doors open at 6.30pm for a 7.30pm start. Should be an interesting evening and there's a few nice goodies being raffled off in aid of the Denise Hendry Foundation.

It would be great if we could get a big turnout :-)

Good luck to everyone interested and involved in the setting up of a Trust:

2 questions:

1) The point of the Trust is what exactly?

2) Why was it felt there was no need for a Trust when for example the previous owners were handing the previous manager a transfer budget of minus 16m?

Good luck to everyone interested and involved in the setting up of a Trust:

2 questions:

1) The point of the Trust is what exactly?

2) Why was it felt there was no need for a Trust when for example the previous owners were handing the previous manager a transfer budget of minus 16m?

Revidge if you read from the beginning of the thread you will learn this group of fans has spent the last 12 months working to this point. Which clearly pre-dates the Rao's involvement with the club.

I am hoping to be there but my concern is that it will become a farce if attendees start to shout and dissent. What format will the meeting take and will there be an agenda to work to on the night?

Good Luck Guys

Obviously a bit for myself to go but if I can help in anyway please let me know

Cheers

BKR

PS: You should push to get this covered in the LET

I've had us in the paper about five or six times already, plus been on radio. Will hopefully be in tomorrow's as well and we have a photographer coming down from the LT on the night :-)

Sorry for being ignorant but what time does it start again as i'm travelling back from Kendal and if i make it time would like to come along

Doors open at 6:30pm for a 7:30pm start.

Revidge if you read from the beginning of the thread you will learn this group of fans has spent the last 12 months working to this point. Which clearly pre-dates the Rao's involvement with the club.

Cheers for that Paul. Yea Revidge we've been meeting since not long after the start of the season but we took it a bit slow and never really got anywhere as it took us a while to work out the best way to go about it.

I am hoping to be there but my concern is that it will become a farce if attendees start to shout and dissent. What format will the meeting take and will there be an agenda to work to on the night?

Yes mate there's an agenda and we'll be discouraging people just shouting out - there will be a q and a session for all queries.

Blackburn Rovers Supporters Trust is now officially up and running after a unanimous vote at last night's meeting.

We are now entering the unknown as all our efforts have so far been geared towards this meeting, so please bear with us and we will be in touch in due course.

Thanks to all who came down last night.

Also, thank you to Rheagan Hendry for coming down. We made it worth her while by raising £501 for the The Denise Hendry Foundation. Great effort all round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What will the effect of this be in the embryonic BRST?

Funding withdrawn, all Supporters Trust staff under threat.

Given that BRST seemed to be quite reliant on support from that organisation?

Supporters Direct have been having "funding issues" for a while. This has certainly brought things to a head, but they do have significant (and growing) support from the government, as well as UEFA, and I hope this will all be straightened out.

We are currently in the process of getting BRST legally registered, and in all honesty, we are very reliant on Supporters Direct for this. The work they do is absolutely vital, and very worthwhile, and I'm sure they will be able to continue. Below is an email I received from them this morning...

The board of directors of Supporters Direct (SD) meeting in emergency session yesterday, Saturday 11th June, expressed confidence in its past and continuing role in promoting the supporter trust movement - a model of football ownership that allows fans to re-engage with their local clubs, and begin the process of putting the community back at the heart of the football and other sports clubs.

The emergency session was called to discuss a possible crisis in the funding of the organisation (founded in 2000).

On Wednesday 8th June 2011 SD was informed by the Football Stadia Improvement Fund, administrators of the Premier League Fans' Fund, that it would not be making an offer to fund SD. The reason given was the FSIF's concern over a number of tweets posted by SD chief executive on his personal account on twitter.com during the evening of Saturday 21 May 2011. SD has deplored the comments and disassociated itself from them completely.

The SD board took the following decisions at its emergency meeting:

1) To accept the resignation from office of chief executive Dave Boyle;

2) To appoint Brian Burgess as acting chief executive from Saturday 11 June 2011;

3) To establish an executive committee of the board consisting of three directors and the acting chief executive to steer the organisation during the current funding crisis;

4) To begin work on protecting the organisation's activities in rugby league, Scotland and in the rest of Europe for which it receives funds from other partners including the Scottish Government, UEFA and the Rugby Football League;

5) To seek early discussions with the Premier League Fans' Fund with a view to resubmitting its application which was acknowledged by the FSIF to have merit that would have attracted funding, whilst also pursuing other possibilities and sources of funding.

Commenting on the situation SD chair Dame Pauline Green said:

"The development of Supporters Direct over the past ten years has seen the trust movement grow and make a substantial contribution to a significant number of football clubs and their local communities. We have also made an impact in other sports such as rugby league.

"As an example the promotion to the Premier League of Swansea City, in which the supporters' trust is the third largest equity investor in the club with 19.99% of the shares, makes it the first club at the top level to have a substantial trust shareholding. In Scotland, Dundee FC is now under supporter ownership.

"The trust movement must now take stock and reflect on how it can most effectively contribute to the development of a healthy, more sustainable football industry at all levels.

"The Annual General Meeting and conference in Chester on 15th and 16th

July will be an opportunity for us to debate this with our members and the wider football public."

ENDS

Archived