BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of ROVERS vs. Blackpool; 19 March 2011.

Enjoyed the read, lots of memories came flooding back, excellent preview.

The players will be up for this along with the supporters, could be a nervy first twenty minutes with so much at stake, 6 points if you believe in them.

Think we will turn the corner and win 2-1.

Bit early for team selections, as we know Givet will miss out, agreed we need Olsson on the wing with Hoilett, what about Jones at LB with the CD and RB as per normal.

Maybe some who watched during his Academy years would know if he could play there, then again I would think he would be capable of doing a good man-man job on chunky Scott in MF he has the engine to chase him down all day long.

My choice would be:

----------------------Robbo

Salgado----Samba----Nelsen----P Jones

----------------------N'Zonzi

------------Emerton------J Jones

Hoilett---------------------------------Olsson

----------------------Kalinic

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Quite nervous about this game, but I think we can and will win. Will be a very tight affair mind. Not too concerned on team selection, but the thought of Olsson at LB continues to terrify me! Another thing to thank Mark Clattenburg for! (Givet's red) :rolleyes:

The Rovers players collectively are more than good enough to beat Blackpools players.

Unfortunately the leveller is that Blackpools manager is a far better man than our puppet Kean and his plantpot sidekick Jensen.

Obviously a massive game, but lets not forget we have been strong at home for 18 months now, only Stoke have come and really dominated us start to finish, in the Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham games we were unlucky to not pick up a point.

A lucky deflection (P.Jones' backside) allowed Arshavin to side foot the ball home, Gomes single handedly denied us against Spurs and Chelsea scabbed a late winner.

I think if we (the fans) go with the right attitude, get behind the team we can pick up the victory against Blackpool.

Having watched them last night and this season, the keys to beating them are scoring in the first 20-25 mins, weathering the storm til half time, then punishing them in the second half.

Blackpool's away record is well documented but they haven't won away in 2011, their last away victory was 28th December away at Sunderland when the won 2-0 thanks to a Campbell brace. DJ Campbell will be suspended for the match on the 19th.

It will take time for Jensen's ideas to get through to the players - he has a track record of excellence wherever he has been.

I'm not sure about Jensen, since he came in we've played 8 and only won 1.

Compare that to his previous job in Denmark; played 11 won none.(wiki)

Means he's only won one competitive game in his last 19. But of course he's mates with Kean/Anderson via SEM.

I'm glad we only gave him a contract til summer, we need a better assistance manager (and manager).

Fully confident that the Rovers crowd WILL get behind the team for this game, absolutely. We will pull together most definitely.

The positive for Kean though should be that none of it will be for him, just the players in blue and white halves.

Theres only one Jack Walker!

spoke to Bolton and Liverpool fans today and both said we too good to go down but our manager isn't a manager but a coach , and our owners must have money to harp on about buying Brazilian stars etc ,I couldn't answer there questions ? have venues got investment money ? any way I'm expecting us to beat Blackpool and hoping for Rochina to reproduce his reserve form !

spoke to Bolton and Liverpool fans today and both said we too good to go down!

That was what everyone said in 1965/66 season, if I remember. :o:o

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words, btw.

here's a quiz for older fans - who was the other Fred in the team at that time?

Else.

and Campbell up front is nippy, so we need to keep on top of him too.

I have read that Campbell is out for this game as well.

i bet jack is turning in his grave at the thought of steve kean managering his team

Yes, we learned our lesson with Ray Harford and Brian Kidd. Unfortunately some numpty in charge didnt know what we knew.

I think that's marvelous, hope Gamst knows and plays his heart out for you.

I believe so, he usually meets the Norwegian supporters post-match outside Ewood. Since this trip is arranged by the Norwegian supporters club, he might just be informed about us coming over.

I've met him a few times and he really appreciates us coming over to support the team. Friendly and down to earth, as he should be!

Pedersen has a habit of scoring goals when we are in attendence... :) so lets cross our fingers for a continuation of that!

I have read that Campbell is out for this game as well.

That's true; he got a 2-match ban when he was sent off the other week.

Rovers played Blackpool in the 4th rd of the FA cup in 1925 in front of 60,011 at Ewood!

That's true, too; you should have seen how long the first version of this preview was - everything you never wanted to know about Rovers vs Pool! :rolleyes:

Excellent and very enjoyable preview m1st - well done! Pity the thread is being spoiled by the serial PoV repeaters - aren't there enough threads to dis the current manager and praise the previous one?

I too would keep Olssen on the wing no matter who we play behind him; Emerton RB and Salgado LB would be my shout. Risky, but less so than neutering our main threat who will skin their FB all day.

Up front, RSC and Kalanic, though I am far from convinced the not-so-young Croat can do anything special when it matters. But I know Roberts and Diouf can't.

4-1 Rovers, the turning point.

Archived