BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of ROVERS vs. Blackpool; 19 March 2011.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that was Puncheon theno, Campbell didnt play.

Should have gone to specsavers. :rolleyes: Anyway it was that little quick black feller up front. Halted his run for fear of being offside a split second from making Adam's free kick perfect...... just as an aside how come we hadn't learned from the earlier one?

? :huh: A Pederson hater by any chance?

Nope not at all, I think Pedersen is an excellent player when he can be arsed, one of the best free kickers and passers of the ball we have, yet again when he can be arsed / motivated / whatever it needs.

Yesterday for example if I recall correctly he was on the left wing passed the ball on to Olsson and then just stood there (and I mean literally stood there motionless) whilst he could have ran forward into the upper mid and provided some support or an outlet, but no.

There were other examples of a similar nature where he provided an opportunity for an attack and once he has done this he just remains motionless as if "that's my work done" kind of ethic, as opposed to running on and providing support for the attack.

Oh and by the way I don't "hate" any of the Rover's players Gordon, why would I, they are my football team... Never have and never will...

the match report in the Sunday Times gave Diouf 8/10 & Junior 6/10........mistaken identity or was he simply not at the match ?

Probably not at the match - happens quite often, I suspect as there are often mistakes in the reporting in most newspapers too

Probably not at the match - happens quite often, I suspect as there are often mistakes in the reporting in most newspapers too

Subs make up the player ratings - great fun if you have favourite players.

Don't blame you, mate.

If people think the club is sinking fast, they obviously haven't seen this forum.

You must have loved the days when you could come on here and say Allardyce 'had to go' or talk about hoofball all night.

On the other hand you must hate it now that after your years of ridiculous Allardyce bashing, it so turns out that he seemed to be doing a very decent job after all.

How the tables have turned Topman, from you coming on here and being in a majority that would hammer Sam left right and centre, to one of the few morons that still criticises his tenure at the club.

There might be possibly 2 or maybe 3 people on here who take your comments seriously, the rest I imagine just find you to be an irritation who knows nothing about football. :tu:

At kick off I was optimistic, at half time I had all but given up and at full time I was happy.

The tactics cannot be criticised too much, we outplayed Blackpool for most of the match and a win wouldn't have been unfair. Webb did his best to relegate us but we finally came back from the dead.

Lets not forget Blackpool are not a bad side. I was worried they would snatch a third on the break but our kitchen sink gamble paid off. Can't believe we're up to 13th! We just need to keep chugging along and picking up points, I have faith we will grab a win or two along the way.

Reasons to be hopeful :-

1. Hoilett - Duff the 2nd - could end up actually being better, as his passing is IMO better. Yet again a bright spark of creativity in an otherwise workman like midfield.

2. J Jones - possibly his best game for Rovers - drive and pace from midfield we have been sadly missing for a long time. It is a shame that he seems to spend a lot of time complaining about tackles rather than getting on with the game.

3. P Jones - doesn't matter what he has been promised - has to be played centre midfield until we are (hopefully) safe - as he adds the aggression, desire and drive we miss at times (especially when things aren't going well).

4. Olsson - don't agree with the opinion that he is a liability at left back (he is no worse a defender than Warnock) - but I would prefer to see him left midfield. Either position he shows the drive we so badly need in our current position.

5. Robinson - still the best English keeper IMO.

6. RSC - actually played 90 minutes, and looked still strong at the end of the match. Personally don't think he had a brilliant match - but if we are to get out of the mess he could be key.

Overall I can't criticise Kean too much for yesterdays performance. We set off really well - and should have had at least one goal to show for our early dominance. No manager could allow for the referee's intervention in the game. After the break we came out all guns blazing - another manager (e.g. Sam) would have taken credit for the turnaround (both personally and from the fans) and yet with Kean people seem to think it was inspite of him rather than anything positive he did. IMO if we go down, it will be as a result of Kean (and our new owners decision to change manager mid-season with no good reason) - however I would ask people to be a little more balanced in their assessment of Kean. Ultimately, it is now extremely likely that Kean will oversee the team until the end of the season at least - so lets get behind him and the team - as we just have to make the best of what we have now.

P.S. One thing to thank Kean for - I doubt Hoilett would have made it at Rovers under Allardyce. The one positive for Kean is that he has given Hoilett the confidence and platform to show his talents. I do think the overall team pattern suffers at times - which is why I would play him just behind a lone striker against Arsenal - so the midfield can keep its shape better and Hoilett can concentrate on which he does best.

And what if his orders were to stay forward and stay wide Mark? I'd imagine they must have been given the match situation.

Possibly, but as has already been mentioned there were at least 2 occasions where he didn't make forward runs when it was obvious he should. Either he couldn't see the glaringly obvious space to run into, or just plain couldn't be arsed - either way it's poor play from one of our top paid players.

Tom at 1-2 up with 93 mins on the clock they were unfortunate to not get all 3 points whichever way you look at it. btw for me I think 6 or 7 mins would have been nearer the mark given the number of subs and the amount of unchecked time wasting.

As for Adam..... whilst Charlie Adam isn't a run all day all action midfield grafter he has immense quality with his vision and his left foot. A team needs a mix and he provides invention and guile which is a very rare commodity. When we played Arsenal down here I think I expended more energy at HT than Cec Fabrigas did all the match but he's renowned for his invention.

Yesterday Adams made a superb but subsequently disallowed goal with a beautifully disguised and deadly free kick, he scored a pen under pressure, he scored a superb free kick and in the second half he nearly repeated his first free kick if only DJ Campbell had not halted his run. If he did that for us in front of N'Zonzi and Jones he'd be like a young fit Dunny.

You must have loved the days when you could come on here and say Allardyce 'had to go' or talk about hoofball all night.

On the other hand you must hate it now that after your years of ridiculous Allardyce bashing, it so turns out that he seemed to be doing a very decent job after all.

How the tables have turned Topman, from you coming on here and being in a majority that would hammer Sam left right and centre, to one of the few morons that still criticises his tenure at the club.

There might be possibly 2 or maybe 3 people on here who take your comments seriously, the rest I imagine just find you to be an irritation who knows nothing about football. :tu:

Sorry, do I know you?

Or care for your opinion?

Didn't think so! :)

And use your real account in future.

Sorry, do I know you?

:tu:

That Hoilett goal will hopefully be the biggest goal we've scored all season :xmas:

Sorry, do I know you?

Your going to have to clear that one up for me mate, are you under the impression I am someone else?

Since everything has gone tits up, all you have done is come on here and told everyone how bad this forum is going. Just don't come on here anymore. No-one will miss you

I watched the first half and was trying to work out what formation we were playing. After half an hour I gave up and just watched the game. Talking to two people at half time and they were totally baffled, just like me.

The one thing that could have been expected after a fortnight break, was that the tactics would be spot on. We improved immeasurably when the lads took matters into their own hands and simply got the ball forward as best they could.

Kean needs to stop confusing the team and the fans and decide which it is - 4-4-2, or 4-5-1.

Kean is worried that Salgado will get isolated and therefore plays Emerton (Jones in the N'castle game) in his area of the pitch. Jones was playing at the head of the diamond, with N'Zonsi holding. Hoilett out left and Diouf on the right. I think.....

When 'Pool pushed forward through central midfield, as they did several time, they went almost unchallenged, which led to the first goal. No-one knew what they were doing, no-one got close to RSC, Diouf was invisible. It was a very poor set up by Kean. The results, as we know don't lie.

I would revert to something like a 442 451, with Jones and Jones in central midfield, Peds and Hoilett out widish. Up fonrt? God knows?

Reasons to be hopeful :-

1. Hoilett - Duff the 2nd - could end up actually being better, as his passing is IMO better. Yet again a bright spark of creativity in an otherwise workman like midfield.

2. J Jones - possibly his best game for Rovers - drive and pace from midfield we have been sadly missing for a long time. It is a shame that he seems to spend a lot of time complaining about tackles rather than getting on with the game.

3. P Jones - doesn't matter what he has been promised - has to be played centre midfield until we are (hopefully) safe - as he adds the aggression, desire and drive we miss at times (especially when things aren't going well).

4. Olsson - don't agree with the opinion that he is a liability at left back (he is no worse a defender than Warnock) - but I would prefer to see him left midfield. Either position he shows the drive we so badly need in our current position.

5. Robinson - still the best English keeper IMO.

6. RSC - actually played 90 minutes, and looked still strong at the end of the match. Personally don't think he had a brilliant match - but if we are to get out of the mess he could be key.

Overall I can't criticise Kean too much for yesterdays performance. We set off really well - and should have had at least one goal to show for our early dominance. No manager could allow for the referee's intervention in the game. After the break we came out all guns blazing - another manager (e.g. Sam) would have taken credit for the turnaround (both personally and from the fans) and yet with Kean people seem to think it was inspite of him rather than anything positive he did. IMO if we go down, it will be as a result of Kean (and our new owners decision to change manager mid-season with no good reason) - however I would ask people to be a little more balanced in their assessment of Kean. Ultimately, it is now extremely likely that Kean will oversee the team until the end of the season at least - so lets get behind him and the team - as we just have to make the best of what we have now.

P.S. One thing to thank Kean for - I doubt Hoilett would have made it at Rovers under Allardyce. The one positive for Kean is that he has given Hoilett the confidence and platform to show his talents. I do think the overall team pattern suffers at times - which is why I would play him just behind a lone striker against Arsenal - so the midfield can keep its shape better and Hoilett can concentrate on which he does best.

+10

Post of the weekend and plenty of reasons to be hopeful.

Well what's the other option John? We could all just jump off a cliff but as our destiny is in our hands we have to be hopeful- spend too much time on here and you'll think we are in the championship already.

Luck or are the Prem authorities combining to dispense with a potential embarrassment by handing it over to the Championship? I'm sure that behind closed doors they are all worried about events under Venkey's ownership and the unhealthy influence of Jerome Anderson.

Gordon, I have more than once thought the very same thing but refrained from posting such for fear of being roundly lambasted and of seeing the world through Blue and White eyes. There simply has to be something wrong, two decisions like that in two weeks against fellow relegation contenders is just too coincidental, in my mind. The feeble feeble penalties given compared to what we see week in and week out that are simply waved away is just wrong. The penalty yesterday was given by the same ref who performed admirably in a World Cup Final, yeah something smells. I thought the rule was if you don't see it you can't give it, just what did Webb see.

Luck or are the Prem authorities combining to dispense with a potential embarrassment by handing it over to the Championship? I'm sure that behind closed doors they are all worried about events under Venkey's ownership and the unhealthy influence of Jerome Anderson.

Dear me Gordon, have you taken on philip's mantle of spouting the most most ridiculous unsubstantiated rubbish in an attempt to discredit the new owners?

Why does there have to be an option?

Because that's life, there are always options, we can be positive and make the best of our situation OR we can give up even though we are not in the relegation zone and have plenty of reasons to be hopeful of survival.

I am an optimist, I make no apologies for it.

Dear me Gordon, have you taken on philip's mantle of spouting the most most ridiculous unsubstantiated rubbish in an attempt to discredit the new owners?

Based on their first 16 weeks in the ownership of Rovers, there are definitely people at the Premier League who would be very happy if Venky's became somebody else's problem.

That does not mean Webb's decisions yesterday were a stitch-up. Far less controversial if the linesman had not flagged the two offside goals.

Archived